Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor in Bonn/Germany
Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: March 29, 2009 20:15

Yesterday I saw Mick and his band in Bonn at the Crossroads-Festival.
Unfortunately the show was as I expected it to be: very mediocre.
The band was OK. Great guitar-player Dennie Newman, groovy bassplayer, piano and drums were OK ,too.
Many people left and I heard them say things like "He should be as famous as Clapton?" "What a boring show..."
I'm sorry to say that they were right. If you are no Stones-Fan, it must have been really disappointing because you expected a guitar-god.
In fact there were some moments when Mick really showed his talents, some moments when his playing really sent shivers down my spine. He still is a great player, but he seems to be uninspired.
I think what he really needs is a good band with a good songwriter that inspires him. Like when playing with Mayall or the Stones. I remember seeing him live in 84 with Dylan, and he was great. In 89 he played with his own band and the other guitar player was much more creative and impressed me quite more than Mick.

P.S.: On Thursday Todd Thibaud played the festival and the encore was a great version of "Dead Flowers"

The setlist:
01. Secret Affair (the band started very promising, Mick's singin was quite good and they grooved)
02. Twisted Sister
03. Loosing My Faith
04. Late At Night
05. Burying Ground
06. Alabama (nice version)
07. Blind Willie McTell (including a part of "All along the watchtower")
08. Can't You Hear Me Knocking (great version!maybe the best piece this evening)
09. No Expectations (soft-rock-chris-rea-phil-collins-version..)

Re: Mick Taylor in Bonn/Germany
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 29, 2009 20:20

uhm Alabama and No Expectations... that's good. I dig this setlist! tongue sticking out smiley Secret Affair/Twister Sister/Losing My Faith, those three should be banned from playing live, but never mind them. let's wait for bootlegs.

the point you made was shouted out very clearly thousands of times... it's not like the Stones need Taylor and Taylor needs them... completely wrong connection. Mick needs a real band, he's not a leader. he won't ever be a good showman, he can't drive a band... teaming with some hardcore blues group is the only way for him to be.

I'm now listening to his 2000 tour, I enjoy it while laying in my bed and eating pizza, but it's no magic.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 29, 2009 20:21

anyway, thanks for the thread smiling smiley

Posted by: MrBird65 ()
Date: March 29, 2009 20:40

Hey Amused,
"I enjoy it... but it's no magic"... that's exactly what I wanted to say ;-)
It wasn't a bad performance,but not a magic one...
But I think we all know what we expect when watching Mick. I only feel sorry for some of the younger fans who may be really disappointed because they expected the Mick they know from "Sticky Fingers".

Posted by: honkytonkwomen ()
Date: March 29, 2009 21:27

That's Blues... And that's what i need. When i'm going to a Mick Taylor "show", i know what's coming! A great musician who loves his Gibson and just playing the blues with a great band. And this is the best. For him and me ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-29 21:32 by honkytonkwomen.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 29, 2009 21:52

MrBird65
Hey Amused,
"I enjoy it... but it's no magic"... that's exactly what I wanted to say ;-)
It wasn't a bad performance,but not a magic one...
But I think we all know what we expect when watching Mick. I only feel sorry for some of the younger fans who may be really disappointed because they expected the Mick they know from "Sticky Fingers".

I feel sorry too for the younger fans that saw the rollingstones the past 2 or3 decades and didnt know how the Stones sounded at the time they released "Sticky Fingers","Exile" etc.

Posted by: honkytonkwomen ()
Date: March 29, 2009 22:17

Amsterdamned

I feel sorry too for the younger fans that saw the rollingstones the past 2 or3 decades and didnt know how the Stones sounded at the time they released "Sticky Fingers","Exile" etc.

I'm a "younger" fan (is 31 younger??) i was born to late - I past the Exile, SF, LIB and BB-time. But I get the message, what's up in this time. Maybe 10 years ago i was angry with my mom and her mom etc., but now i'm just thankful to enjoy this/my decades. I'm living my own exile-time and yesss, I enjoy :-) But I know what you mean and when I'm thinking longer about this fact I'm crying...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-06-17 15:11 by honkytonkwomen.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: March 31, 2009 20:47

I was in Bonn but I think the concert "Mick Taylor" was not very good.
He was looking better (healthy) then 2 1/2 year ago in Ochten NL. But his playing and the setlist was not so good this evening in Bonn

Very good was the first band of this evening "Baskery".

But make your own meaning. You can see both concerts on german TV.

TV Dates "Mick Taylor" and "Baskery":
[www.rockpalast.de]

Mick Taylor Setlist + Bandinfo:
[www.rockpalast.de]

Mick Taylor Backstage:
[www.rockpalast.de]

Have fun on german tv !! Attention: Look there for the "full concerts" and not only for the short "highlights!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-31 20:50 by satisfaction2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1921
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home