Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Sugar Blue live last night
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 21, 2009 18:28

Last night I went to see Sugar Blue night at the Southern Blues Night festival in Heerlen, Holland. I really had no expectations, since I only knew his work with the Stones, but I was curious how good the man still was. After some middle of the road performances by others (click here for the program), Sugar Blue hit the stage at 23.30.

His (really young) band played a long funky intro and then the man himself entered the stage. He blew me away the first couple of songs: I've never heard anyone play the harp so effordlessly, so easy and hit so many notes per second. It was totally incredible. The audience was in awe. After about thirty minutes it got a little boring, since all his solo's kind of sound a like, but still it was a fun performance. The band was tight, especially the drummer.

Afterwards I bought his latest record, which this morning prooved to be quite good. Sugar Blue signed it for me, which was nice. I remember walking home, passing Sugar who was asking some bearded guy for 'a funny cigarette', that I should have brought my Miss You single. Well, maybe the next time.

Anyone else had the pleasure of seeing him lately?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-22 00:51 by mr edward.

Re: OT Sugar Blue live last night
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 21, 2009 18:31

joe louis walker & the boss talkers ain't "middle of the road" in my book....

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 21, 2009 18:47

Did you talk to hm about the Stones? He seemed quite bitter about the whole experience... (maybe he expected a few %s on "Miss You"'s songwriting rights...)

Date: March 22, 2009 00:52

T&A
joe louis walker & the boss talkers ain't "middle of the road" in my book....

Well, the performance was 'middle of the road' last night... Maybe I caught them at a bad night.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: March 22, 2009 01:15

Dunno what mr edward means with "middle of the road". I was at the festival myself last night and I had a great time. Sugar Blue surely did a great show, but so did the other 8 bands. Nothing "middle of the road" in my opinion.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 22, 2009 14:01

What does he have to be bitter about??? I mean, he only plays some harp on the song! Didn't co-write it at all. If anyone should be bitter that would be Billy Preston, who helped Mick come up with the riff during the El Macombo rehearsals... and Lennon was a bit miffed because he felt it was a copy of his Scared off Walls and Bridges..

Sugar also plays some cool harp on Some Girls as well.

Date: March 23, 2009 21:04

With 'middle of the road' I just meant it didn't excite me at all. The music was alright, but nothing more then that. Funny that this gets more attention then the orginal topic.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 23, 2009 21:08

the original topic wasn't that exciting - thanks for spicing it up with a little mid-road talk....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home