Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have any of the Stones ever done this
Date: March 17, 2009 06:17

I just read where Paul Stanley of KISS called a young boy in Cinncinatti who has cancer. I've heard KISS does quite a bit for charity. You never here that from the Stones though. Have they ever called a sick fan, or even given to any charities that you know of. I think it's part of the British snobbery or being selfish, or do they not care.

Re: Have any of the Stones ever done this
Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 17, 2009 06:40

If you watch 25 x 5, and believe Mick, then they do visit sick kids in hospitals and give alot to charity.

Posted by: KWhinos ()
Date: March 17, 2009 07:08

They did the free concert for global Warming, during the licks tour. All ticket sales went to the cause. It was a donate for a ticket deal. Most tickets went around 1K a piece.

My Blog
[stonesrockforever.blogspot.com]

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: March 17, 2009 07:30

If Paul Stanley does anything for charity, rest assured, there is a reason for it. Paul and Gene are two of the greediest pieces of human feces to ever offend the atmosphere with their repulsive stench. These two "people" are not capable of a kind act of the heart, for it is an organ they do not posess. They long ago gave up looking in the mirror, the guilt surely must be a monumental weight to carry.

If you could melt these walking, talking refuse heaps down to their core ingredients, you may be able to afford a stale piece of Bazooka Joe bubblegum, if you're really, really lucky. Such a purchase would be seen as a wonderful deal.

The only true talant in KISS was Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. Gene and Paul are only fit to play birthday parties, to backwoods children who have never been exposed to music. This way, they have no standard to compare them to, so the disapointment won't be too bad.

They need to pack up the KISS show, albums, comic books and all the other garbage they released to an unsuspecting public in the KISS coffen, bury it as deep as possible, burn the spot that its buried in, then salt the ground so nothing can ever grow there again. Then, put a fence around the whole area and forbid trespassing, and forget the whole damn thing that was KISS.

I don't know if the Stones ever did anything like this or not, but they didn't do "Ladies In Waiting" and for that, I'm thankful.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 17, 2009 07:34

Stones Donated to Katrina ..... Something like a $million...
Proceeds from Keith's Hurricane CD went to Red Cross/Katrina
Keith donated his take of Louis Vuitton photo shoot to charity

Pretty sure Mick..Keith & Ronnie helped Ronnie Lane & Steve Marriot financially in their latter life

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 17, 2009 08:15

Played the Nicuraguan concert after the earthquake.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: March 17, 2009 08:21

How about giving lifts to blind chicks after the show. That worked out pretty well.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 17, 2009 09:58

Some months ago,Jagger and Affleck were co-producers of this short movie "Gime Shelter" for Congo.

But there are not the kind of band giving charities concerts,or at least,as we say in French,"they don't shout it on the roofs"...

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: March 17, 2009 10:04

SwayStones
Some months ago,Jagger and Affleck were co-producers of this short movie "Gime Shelter" for Congo.

But there are not the kind of band giving charities concerts,or at least,as we say in French,"they don't shout it on the roofs"...

Or "Shout It Out Loud".

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: March 17, 2009 10:28

Thanks,GNAT
It sounds better.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: March 17, 2009 13:29

They've paid for heart surgery, cancer surgery and other expensive treatment in the US for some of the bluesmen... Hubert Sumlin's one of them.
Keith's sponsored the Al Gore Climate project.
And yes, Keith's taken special care of sick fans. Invited some to his room and to the Camp X-ray. This I've vitnessed myself. Very touching. He's a warm and caring person.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 17, 2009 19:48

And the It's Only Rock 'n Roll version with Mick and Keith for that children's fund really sucked big time.

Here's a news clip on the Affleck/Jagger movie.

And apparently you can watch the whole movie here (It's a 1 minute film):
[www.unhcrshelter.org]

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2009 19:59

Rockman
Stones Donated to Katrina ..... Something like a $million...
Proceeds from Keith's Hurricane CD went to Red Cross/Katrina
Keith donated his take of Louis Vuitton photo shoot to charity

Pretty sure Mick..Keith & Ronnie helped Ronnie Lane & Steve Marriot financially in their latter life

Keith also took care of Hubert Sumlin's medical bills a few years ago when he was having treatment for cancer.

(edit - sorry, I see Addicted has already stated this)

I read a nice story that appeared in the press here a couple of years ago. Some charity fundraiser wrote to Jagger and asked him for a contribition. Mick sent a cheque for a few thousand quid and then a few days later, absent-mindedly sent another one. The recipient returned the second cheque. Mick then sent back another cheque for double the amount that had been returned, with a note thanking the guy for his honesty.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-17 20:09 by Gazza.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2009 20:10

21stcenturystones
I just read where Paul Stanley of KISS called a young boy in Cinncinatti who has cancer. I've heard KISS does quite a bit for charity. You never here that from the Stones though. Have they ever called a sick fan, or even given to any charities that you know of. I think it's part of the British snobbery or being selfish, or do they not care.

Thats a pretty insulting, ill-informed and idiotic post.

Date: March 17, 2009 20:18

Gazza
21stcenturystones

Thats a pretty insulting, ill-informed and idiotic post.

Yeah. As if all Brits drinks does nothing but sip brandy and wear bowler hats on their way to the Ministry Of Silly Walks. 21stcenturystones prolly doesn't know any Brits me thinks.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: March 17, 2009 20:21

GNAT
If Paul Stanley does anything for charity, rest assured, there is a reason for it. Paul and Gene are two of the greediest pieces of human feces to ever offend the atmosphere with their repulsive stench. These two "people" are not capable of a kind act of the heart, for it is an organ they do not posess. They long ago gave up looking in the mirror, the guilt surely must be a monumental weight to carry.

If you could melt these walking, talking refuse heaps down to their core ingredients, you may be able to afford a stale piece of Bazooka Joe bubblegum, if you're really, really lucky. Such a purchase would be seen as a wonderful deal.

The only true talant in KISS was Ace Frehley and Peter Criss. Gene and Paul are only fit to play birthday parties, to backwoods children who have never been exposed to music. This way, they have no standard to compare them to, so the disapointment won't be too bad.

They need to pack up the KISS show, albums, comic books and all the other garbage they released to an unsuspecting public in the KISS coffen, bury it as deep as possible, burn the spot that its buried in, then salt the ground so nothing can ever grow there again. Then, put a fence around the whole area and forbid trespassing, and forget the whole damn thing that was KISS.

I don't know if the Stones ever did anything like this or not, but they didn't do "Ladies In Waiting" and for that, I'm thankful.

Great post GnAT!

But it makes me want to hear 'Ladies in Waiting'!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-17 20:22 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 17, 2009 20:23

I'm sure they've done lots of stuff through the years that we'll never know about, based upon the stuff we do know about. Maybe they thought it would be harmful to their bad boy image.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: March 17, 2009 20:25

While playing in 2007 in Poland during national mourning (is it called like that?) they donated to the killed people during a bus accident.

There's second thing on this, the raising of national mourning was a political, not a kind act, and all just for voters - it was almost voting time. Pilgrims were killed, about 20 of them, rest in peace.

Date: March 17, 2009 20:27

I know that there was some tribute band from New York that lost quite a few family members in the 9/11 attacks. Mick Jagger called up this guy Greg and left a message on his answering machine about not feeling bad and that he'd help. He also sent a guitar to Greg btw. You can hear Mick's message on the tribute band's webiste, only I can't for the life of me, remember what the tribute band was called.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 17, 2009 20:50

When they played Oakland in 1989 Mick told the crowd all proceeds from the 2 nights would be going to Earthquake relief. It was just after the big Loma Prieta quake in the bay area.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 17, 2009 21:01

In the middle of the European Tour the Stones fly out of Prague Europe to do ONE SHOW in Toronto, Canada, North America, to support the city of Toronto in their economical problems following the SARS outbreak there in 2003. Then back to Spain, Europe. Call it whatever you like, but it is certainly not done to make a lot of money.

Also, since when did we judge people on what they do in public, what they do, what they pay and what the press is telling?

Bjornulf

Date: March 17, 2009 21:07

During the ABB Tour you could check their website under "Donations". There was a whole heap of charities they donated to.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: March 17, 2009 21:14

Sure, they've helped out a lot of people, they just don't brag about it like some people. I've always found it to be quite admirable.

I know they contributed a lot of $ to SC during Hurricane...can't remember...think it was Hugo.
Mick gave a guitar to a 9/11 firefighter who played in a Stones cover band, if I recall correctly.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: March 17, 2009 21:43

Four Stone Walls
GNAT

Great post GnAT!

But it makes me want to hear 'Ladies in Waiting'!

"Ladies in Waiting" is a forgotten classic from Kiss 1975 Dressed to Kill album. A Gem.

As for the person who compared Kiss to "human feces"...hmm - I wonder who is really full of shit! You have no idea how charitable (or not) Kiss are. They are mainly private people, as are the Stones. Yeah so Kiss market themselves in all sort of silly ways - look at the bloody way the Stones bleed their fans. People in glass houses etc..

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: March 18, 2009 14:56

They play their charities and donations low key. There are probably more donations we don't know about than those we do know about. It's very easy to judge, when you don't have access to all the information. 21stcenturystones' post reveals he/she lacks information and just throws some evil sentences at them.
Amused's post - indicating that they donated to the Polish bus victims for "political reasons and that there was an election comming up"... Come on! None of the Stones will ever run for prime minister, president or any other type of office in Poland. What sort of person are you?!
Their donation came as a result of the fact that they actuelly care about what's going on in the countries they're playing in.
Back in 1995, we had a huge flood where I live. The same week the Stones were playing in my country. Accidentally we had dinner in the same restaurant as Mick and some of his family, just a table away. He started a conversation and asked about the flood, which he'd seen when they flew in over our capital. He wanted to know if there were any casualties, if people would get help from the government or other types of help. I told him there'd been no casualties, and that government money and insurances would cover all the economic losses. He was pleased to hear that. And then he said: -But people's personal belongings, their family photos and their children's favourite toys - stuff like that... That's a great loss too.
We were a family of four at the table, and he really seemed to care about the situation. It touched us. (We're convinced it wasn't because of the beautiful young girls at our table. They were nine and 12 at the time.)

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 18, 2009 16:59

Mick has "adopted" young South American women...and supported them for years.
In fact Ronnie has done the same with a young, struggling Russian girl. Oh...wait winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 18, 2009 17:12

sweet neo con
Mick has "adopted" young South American women...and supported them for years.
In fact Ronnie has done the same with a young, struggling Russian girl. Oh...wait winking smiley

lol!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 18, 2009 17:47

Munichhilton
When they played Oakland in 1989 Mick told the crowd all proceeds from the 2 nights would be going to Earthquake relief. It was just after the big Loma Prieta quake in the bay area.

I was at one of thos shows. Idon't rememeber Mick saying that. Although he could have. But I thought they donated $500,000 to the earthquake releif. Also the same amount to the Hurrican Hugo victims in South Carolina that was just before the earthquake.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: March 18, 2009 17:55

Wasn't there the Its Only Rock N Roll single that was for Charity?

Didn't also Keith campaign about about closure of a local hospital?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: March 18, 2009 17:55

sweetcharmedlife
Munichhilton

I was at one of thos shows. Idon't rememeber Mick saying that. Although he could have. But I thought they donated $500,000 to the earthquake releif. Also the same amount to the Hurrican Hugo victims in South Carolina that was just before the earthquake.

I think your memory of it is better than mine.
I found this on wiki:

Day On The Green #3 & 4: The Rolling Stones, Living Colour, (Guns N' Roses were on the bill but did not perform) (November 4 & 5, 1989).
After visiting some areas hit by the infamous October 1989 Bay Area earthquake, Mick Jagger donates $500,000. to the victims.

Would $500,000 be the proceeds from both nights or am I just remembering wrong.
I may be remembering a news report and thinking too much of it. Still very generous though.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home