Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones LIVE Concert "Train Wrecks"
Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 15, 2009 18:53

Gazza
The performance of Rain fall Down from Salt Lake City in 2005 which was broadcast live on the American Music Awards was so grim and embarrassing that on Rocks Off it thereafter just became known as The Salt Lake City Incident.

Pretty much most of Keith's performances in Werchter, Nijmegen 2007 and Foxboro 2006 (must be an opening night thing). He had a couple of trainwrecks at the Madrid show I was at in 2007 (Satisfaction and Happy) but that aside I still thought it was a terrific show.

Keith made a real hash of Brown Sugar at successive shows at Vredenburg and Amsterdam in 2003. Ronnie's entire performance at one of the 2006 German shows (was it Cologne? He even mentions it in his autobiography)

Like it says in the original post, they're only human.

aah
I can't find that footage! Horror! But great to see

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: March 15, 2009 23:30

SFTD in Ottawa 2005 was less than pretty... When you see Charlie get up and walk backstage you know things are going un-good!

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: March 16, 2009 07:18

guitarbastard
well thtis is quite a funky intro...>grinning smiley<

The track reminds me of the Happy performance during the Bigger Bang tour where Richards looks like he is going to keel over waiting for Charlie and him to agree on the beat. Someone recently posted the video in Tell Me. In the older show, Richards seems to push his point--in the later one, there seems to be a more relaxed negotiation.

Is there a video of the MSG 98 performance of Resp/WTWCD?

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 16, 2009 11:17

Sweet Black Angel from Fort Worth '72
Tops from Philadelphia '81 (and several others from these shows too)
Start Me Up from Werchter '98 (mainly the intro section, but fun to listen to)

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: March 16, 2009 11:23

Smokey

The track reminds me of the Happy performance during the Bigger Bang tour where Richards looks like he is going to keel over waiting for Charlie and him to agree on the beat. Someone recently posted the video in Tell Me. In the older show, Richards seems to push his point--in the later one, there seems to be a more relaxed negotiation.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 16, 2009 11:55

Gazza

Pretty much most of Keith's performances in Werchter, Nijmegen 2007 and Foxboro 2006 (must be an opening night thing).

As for the Nijmegen show, I have to say Ronnie did have his "train wreck" moments, too ;-) and even more so than Keith. But where Ronnie was mainly spoiling solos, Keith was down in the engine room where every bum note mattered... Nijmegen really was a quite depressing Stones experience (and the thunderstorm didn't help either). Thank God they recovered as the tour progressed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-16 11:57 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 16, 2009 12:08

Yeah, the Nijmegen show in '07 felt like a train wreck all the way through...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: March 16, 2009 12:27

andy js

and i seem to recall a similar era bootleg where Keith plays Satisfaction and the rest play IORR (or vice versa) and its a fight to see who'll change first

we attended this show in philly 10.10.05, and it was quite funny listen to "it`s only satisfaction ".

and another show in new york, 16. or 17.10.98 mick jagger startet the song it`s only rock`n roll with the lyrics from @#$%&.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 16, 2009 13:01

More Nijmegen vids!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 16, 2009 16:19

For a difference, my favourite one is by Mick: 1978, Lexington/Kentucky (Can't Stop Rollin', Diamond Sound/Outsider Bird) "Tumbling Dice". Mick is quiet for a while, the band repeats the intro over and over again. Then Mick gets into the song, sings first verse, first chorus and then sings - to the melody of the guitars: "I am very sorry, Keith, but I forgot the @#$%& words".

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 16, 2009 17:09

Was there one from every show of the Bang tour? Ha ha ha haha....seems like it.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: March 16, 2009 17:22

Just lets everyone know the shows are not pre-recorded nonsense. Goof-ups are part of live music. Some more so than others but hey, that's entertainment.

CBII

Date: March 16, 2009 17:38

I prefer the screw ups. Just because Keith says he can play JJF while taking a bath or whatever...maybe, but there are plenty of others he screws up. They all do. If it was perfect it would suck.

However, some of the screw ups are beyond amazing. It's astounding that they could do some of them after playing the songs all these years. Just goes to show you what happens when your head is not there exactly - in many ways.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: March 16, 2009 18:58

Gimme Shelter from Perth´73 is a downright mess.

Date: March 16, 2009 19:01

Toronto, 2002 (I think) at the Skydome.

Can't for the life of me remember which song it was, but it was towards the end of the show (maybe BS or IORR). Anyway, Mick flubbed the timing on his lyrics and it kind of sent the song sideways. Keith got MAD - right in Jagger's face, gave him a bit of a talking to. Once they finished that song, Keith basically ripped his shirt off before they tore into another tune (kind of like, "OK, back to business, now let's do this..") Interesting stuff...

Date: March 16, 2009 21:02

Funny that Keith should get mad at Mick, of all ways for it to be............

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 16, 2009 21:54

something seems to go wrong in the middle of Happy From the LA 7/13/75 show, it gets derailed for a minute before they get it back together again.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 16, 2009 22:04

Stray Cat Blues from Stockholm Circus 2003. Mick starts on the wrong note and keeps it like that for the whole first verse.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 17, 2009 03:53

Tornandfrayed

the only show - according to Keith - that he ever played on acid.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 17, 2009 19:53

9/25/81, first show of the tour the stones start honky tonk and then stop and mick says something like we have to start that one over again

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 17, 2009 19:56

Dali
Smokey

It starts like a trainwreck for sure. Hahahahaha!!!! grinning smiley
It ends rockin' like a f*cker though.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 17, 2009 20:24

Tornandfrayed

One of the rare times Charlie causes the train to wreck, but lordy MT is en fuego!

I've mentioned this before, and many disagree, but the lead guitar in Melody, from Shepherd's Bush (99?) is (to my ears) horribly out of key. Sounds like Keith, and sounds like he was remembering a different song......

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: March 17, 2009 22:31

Cool review of last Philly train wreck !
[onfinite.com]

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: March 17, 2009 22:41

Tornandfrayed

Yes, it starts messy, but by the end I'm crying because it's so good...

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: March 17, 2009 23:43

Stones trainwrecks seem to often result in Charlie playing the backbeat on the wrong note, but in both of these video examples the band takes an excruciatingly long time to rectify the error. These are great clips! I love this stuff.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 18, 2009 00:29

Bonus footage of the Gimme Shelter DVD contains "Prodigal Son",
which sounds absolutely wonderful including the somehow wrecked end...

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: March 18, 2009 00:32

JumpingKentFlash
The Wembley 1982 clip is horrendeous. I'm not a fan of that whole tour at all, but I must say that 81 sounds much better than anything I've heard from 82. There's some highlights for sure, and it isn't as bad as the SW tour, but JESUS they sucked in 82 it seems. Everything goes so fast and it sounds so boring. Aren't there any redeeming songs from the 82 tour? Something that can make you think they still could do it (Like JMI from Hampton 1981)????

Hey maybe this is from 1982:

So you're an authority on the 82 tour by watching a few youtube clips?

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: March 18, 2009 00:56

Connection from Oakland 11-6-2006....Keith never even gets to the 2nd verse...the whole thing falls apart after the 1st verse (about 1:15 into the song) and the band never recovers finally they just shut the song down without ever reaching the 2nd verse. Audio below for those that haven't heard this....

[www.sendspace.com]

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: March 18, 2009 02:56

Mick's mike went out during Undercover in East Troy,Wisconsin during the fall Steel Wheels US tour. I read his lips and there were quite a lot of expletives! Quite easy to read when those lips are flapping!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 18, 2009 03:18

WOW, that Connection is a mess indeed. LOL!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2118
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home