Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Stones LIVE Concert "Train Wrecks"
Date: March 14, 2009 22:31

I fondly remember 2 Stones "Train Wrecks" from the ABB tour.
MGM Grand Las Vegas 3/4/06 & Frankfurt on 6/13/07.

At the Vegas show on the B-Stage, Keef riffed on HTW while the rest of the band was following the plexi-set with YGMR. After that horrific train wreck they stopped and Mick & Keef were laughing very hard about it. It was nice to see the human err side of them. Then they all regrouped and continued on flawlessly.

My other train wreck experience was at the Frankfurt show in '07 where apparently Keef's guitar sound went out and he required tech assistance but then Charlie stopped playing and he left his post as the song came to a crashing halt. Then they all picked up like nothing happened and rocked it out the rest of the way but it sure was bizarre and confusing at the time.
It just goes to show that even the Rolling Stones are indeed human! drinking smiley

Please share any other Stones concert train wrecks you experienced, they don't happen too often so I actually find them to be kinda cool and humorous.

Re: Stones LIVE Concert "Train Wrecks"
Posted by: slew ()
Date: March 14, 2009 22:33

I have not experienced any train wrecks but the last few times Keith has hit the wrong notes on BS which make the song sound off a bit at the start but they usually regroup.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 15, 2009 01:28

The performance of Rain fall Down from Salt Lake City in 2005 which was broadcast live on the American Music Awards was so grim and embarrassing that on Rocks Off it thereafter just became known as The Salt Lake City Incident.

Pretty much most of Keith's performances in Werchter, Nijmegen 2007 and Foxboro 2006 (must be an opening night thing). He had a couple of trainwrecks at the Madrid show I was at in 2007 (Satisfaction and Happy) but that aside I still thought it was a terrific show.

Keith made a real hash of Brown Sugar at successive shows at Vredenburg and Amsterdam in 2003. Ronnie's entire performance at one of the 2006 German shows (was it Cologne? He even mentions it in his autobiography)

Like it says in the original post, they're only human.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 15, 2009 02:27

Brno 07, Brown Sugar.

Date: March 15, 2009 03:01

Keith has been effin up BS regularly lately. Maybe he does it on purpose

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:03

Auckland 1973 - Brown Sugar....very funny listen

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:07

there was a truly 'memorable' version of Before They Make Me Run at some MSG gig, maybe on the licks tour. Well worth a search

and i seem to recall a similar era bootleg where Keith plays Satisfaction and the rest play IORR (or vice versa) and its a fight to see who'll change first

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:14

Opening night of the '81 tour had a few prime examples...Let it Bleed, Satisfaction...

Date: March 15, 2009 03:15

I've heard that first show from 81 it was pretty sloppy. It was in Buffalo where they started to cook on that tour.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:28

well thtis is quite a funky intro...>grinning smiley<

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:31

NumberOneStonesFan
I fondly remember 2 Stones "Train Wrecks" from the ABB tour.
MGM Grand Las Vegas 3/4/06 & Frankfurt on 6/13/07.

At the Vegas show on the B-Stage, Keef riffed on HTW while the rest of the band was following the plexi-set with YGMR. After that horrific train wreck they stopped and Mick & Keef were laughing very hard about it. It was nice to see the human err side of them. Then they all regrouped and continued on flawlessly.

My other train wreck experience was at the Frankfurt show in '07 where apparently Keef's guitar sound went out and he required tech assistance but then Charlie stopped playing and he left his post as the song came to a crashing halt. Then they all picked up like nothing happened and rocked it out the rest of the way but it sure was bizarre and confusing at the time.
It just goes to show that even the Rolling Stones are indeed human! drinking smiley

Please share any other Stones concert train wrecks you experienced, they don't happen too often so I actually find them to be kinda cool and humorous.

I was at that Vegas show. I remember that,I've mentioned that before. Keith started the opening notes of HTW. Mick looked at him like WTF. Keith just shrugged and started YGMR.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: March 15, 2009 03:45

MSG in January 98, it's documented on the bootleg. Sweet Home NYC. The band played Respectable, and Mick sang When the Whip Comes Down...the entire song. A little disjointed.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 15, 2009 04:15

onestep
MSG in January 98, it's documented on the bootleg. Sweet Home NYC. The band played Respectable, and Mick sang When the Whip Comes Down...the entire song. A little disjointed.

Thats right! Its hilarious!

Posted by: MILO NYC ()
Date: March 15, 2009 04:42

GuitarBastard

The video you posted is great in so many ways. Keith screws up the intro, Jagger knows it and you can see slight fear in his eyes for a moment, but Keith don't bend and keeps hacking away. Charlie is clearly smiling and getting a kick out of Keith trying find the groove and get out of the mess. Woody is silent, and Wyman gives a look of "what a mess"......but they keep chugging with Charlie double timing for a bit to help Keith, and then the groove is found and the song came off pretty good. Only really tight bands can escape a disaster start like that. What I found most interesting was the band members reactions...Keithconfused smileytoic, showing nothing, Mick: fear and confusion, Charlie: practically laughing, Bill: thumping down the bass line while seemingly amused and slightly embaressed at the same time. I would have loved to seen the look on Wood's face as this was happening and also Ian Stuarts face......the point is they never stopped and followed Keith until he smashed thru the mess.

Anyone in a band knows that at some point every player onstage screws up, usually only the band notices....no big deal. How many bands would work thru the mess in front of 60, 70, thousand people? Not many. 20, 25 years later, the Stones would stop a song if the intro was totally off, to me still no big deal. The 81/82 Tour as we all know now was the last tour of Keith calling the shots onstage and the guitars were blasting away with a lot of improvising. That tour was pure attitude and they gave us some great sawblade renditions of songs. In 89 and all the tours to follow a lot of the freedom was gone....shows were/are PRODUCED like a Broadway show. As the giant TV screens got better and better the shows and music are practically scripted, and it's not only the Stones. With all the graphics and eye candy a Producer is telling Chuck Leavell when to count out a song. There are Pro's and con's. No doubt today the shows are so much better in so many ways, mainly sound (thats what its all about right?) but because of all the aformentioned tech stuff that may be why on the last tour they would more often than not actually stop, and start over the right way. Interesting how technology now seems to control any major band during a performance? Shows are now layed out DOWN TO THE MINUTE, how else could The Stones, show after show play almost EXACTLY 2 hours, given a few, and I mean a few minutes give ot take.

Sorry I drifted a bit. I think it's a great video, screw up or not

MILO NYC

Date: March 15, 2009 05:06

<<Keith screws up the intro>>

...sounds more to me like it's actually Charlie who causes the mess on that Wembley '82 SSC version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-15 05:06 by Sohoe.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 15, 2009 05:10

I was at the Salt Lake show, and RFD was a disaster. I remember thinking, "Why on earth did they pick that for a national broadcast?"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 15, 2009 12:19

I watched that performance of Rain Fall Down and thought...what band is this? What happened to the band that toured for Licks? I couldn't even watch the whole song.

Those Wembley 82 videos - YIKES. None of them sound very - Charlie seems very detached.

Yeah, Charlie totally blows She's So Cold. Pretty funny. Mick saved it.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 15, 2009 12:24

guitarbastard

There's one word for that. Awful !!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 15, 2009 12:40

Thanks to cousin cocaine.confused smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: March 15, 2009 13:43

"Brown Sugar" Amsterdam 2003. maybe also "Rough Justice" in Budapest 2007, but after realizing that the intro was being played WAY too bad, Keith raised his arm and got the band to re-start the song. I think it was a nice moment of the concert, and the band managed to grasp this situation very well!!

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: March 15, 2009 13:48

I searched for that Rain Fall Down-train wreck-performance on Youtube - no success...
Is there anybody out there who has a link? Thanks in advance!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: March 15, 2009 13:52

Don't know if it qualifies as a "train wreck" but Keith screwed up the intro to Satisfaction on live television at the 1994 Miami pay-per-view performance.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: March 15, 2009 14:25

guitarbastard

Is that the MotherChucker in this?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 15, 2009 15:39

Brown Sugar - Nagoya(?) 2006 I believe it was soundboard. Keith scews up the intro completely.
Brow Sugar - Vredenburg, Utrecht 2003 ditto
Brow Sugar - Arena, Amsterdam 2003 ditto

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: March 15, 2009 15:50

81 Fox Theater in Atlanta--Complete grinding halt on Let Me Go. Voodoo Lounge in Columbia SC False start by Keith on The Worst--he stops and says "that's my privelege" And twice I have witnessed Keith starting the wrong song and having to stop. This was probably A Happy and Before They Make Me Run mixup. Don't really recall where or when these happened, but all four were total wrecks requiring a restart. Loved em all!! Cheers

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2009 16:03

Re Wembley funny how thinngs finall y take off : after 8 f-ups fom Keith and Charlie , Jagger stars to sing a capella (0.39) , Bill follows him (0.42), then Charlie join s and the song reallly takes off. Fascinating! thumbs up

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: March 15, 2009 16:34

Gazza
onestep

Thats right! Its hilarious!

I was there and remember being quite puzzled. Yet this is the first time I've read anything about it. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

There's an early 70s show, I think, where Street Fighting sounds more like Satisfaction. Ring any bells?

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: March 15, 2009 16:49

The Wembley 1982 clip is horrendeous. I'm not a fan of that whole tour at all, but I must say that 81 sounds much better than anything I've heard from 82. There's some highlights for sure, and it isn't as bad as the SW tour, but JESUS they sucked in 82 it seems. Everything goes so fast and it sounds so boring. Aren't there any redeeming songs from the 82 tour? Something that can make you think they still could do it (Like JMI from Hampton 1981)????

Hey maybe this is from 1982:

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 15, 2009 17:59

I don't get that awful "music" that is playing during that thing of Jagger's faces and dancing. WTF is with THAT? Is it bad on purpose?

Date: March 15, 2009 18:32

<<There's an early 70s show, I think, where Street Fighting sounds more like Satisfaction. Ring any bells?>>

Not at the moment...however speaking of SFM - the Passaic '78 version turns into JJF for a moment before Jagger brings the song back on track.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2324
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home