Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question for collectors
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 3, 2009 18:33

If I make no mistake, Forty licks was officially released in China (PRC) with only 36 songs, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Beast of Burden and Let's Spend the Night Together being skipped.
These songs also weren't performend by the Stones when they played Shanghai
The official release is a double CD, and there's a counterfeit 2 single CDs version.
Can someone confirm ?

Then I found on the net a chinese relase of Live Licks, missing Paint It Black but including Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, and Beast of Burden, which does not seem logical to me. Is this a counterfeit ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Re: Question for collectors
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: March 3, 2009 19:11

I have 3 variations of the chinese 40 Licks, can´t really say if one is pirated or not.
One is two CD:s in a single jewelcase and slipcase,
One is 2 separate CD:s in 2 slipcases (VOL 1 and 2 )
and finally, 2 individual CD:s without slipcases (VOL 1 and 2).

I also got ABB, wich looks legit, it only´has 12 tracks on it, so it´s censored.
I did not see Live Licks in Beijing when I was there last year. But I got a chinese Four Flicks, a chinese SARS-concert, and one claiming to be ABB, altough it got an additional disc with with mixed songs, all housed in a wooden box, and the spelling is funny, clearly a non legit release.
I also got another 2 disc housed in a wooden box wich mixes a bit of everything from the Stones...smiling smiley
I could take some pictures if you want.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 3, 2009 19:26

Thanks Vilhelm

3 versions of Forty licks was something I wasn't aware of.
Maybe someone can add some more info on those.

ABB with only 12 songs is something I also heard of. Must be legit indeed.
My 2 questions are :
1. are all Forty Licks editions legit ?
2. how come Live Licks isn't censored the same way as Forty Licks? That makes me wonder if it is legit or not, added to the fact you didn't see it when you were there.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: March 3, 2009 19:39

I believe for the Stones to get it released in china it had to drop a few tracks the goverment didn't like!

Date: March 3, 2009 19:51

A little of everything.

Lower left, chinese with glitter text, right without. Double CD:s housed in jewelcase. Both in slipcases. That would account for variation 1 and 2

Close up of glitter edition. 18+18 songs.

Single CD:s, VOL I & II 18+18 songs. This being 3rd variation.

Chinese 12-track ABB

Bootlegged ABB, disc 1 contains all 16 tracks+3 others, disc 2 contains a little of everything Stones. Housed in a wooden box in slipcase

And finally a mix of Stones, from every era, on 2 discs.
housed in a wooden box in slipcase.

Sorry bout the bad quality, I´m no photographer...only collector...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-03 20:01 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: March 3, 2009 20:10

Wow and you didn't even open the CDs to check the booklets ?
Very nice collection indeed

The last 2 items on your last photos don't look like the others at all.

Date: March 3, 2009 20:19

No, the last two are clearly pirated, the spelling is really funny too.
I did´nt open them, cause I heard the songs before, a couple of times winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: March 4, 2009 00:05

mickijaggeroo

And finally a mix of Stones, from every era, on 2 discs.
housed in a wooden box in slipcase.

I see the SACD (Super Audio CD) logo in the bottom right corner...
Is this accurate?? Is this collection a SACD release? Stereo? 5.1 Multi-channel surround? Hybrid?

Please list the songs. Thanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: March 4, 2009 00:24

I can assure you it´s no SACD, regular stereo only. I´m not gonna open this one, but I had another copy that I gave away, that I played in the car stereo in Beijing, and that car had no SACD-player. There are 38 songs on this one, spread on two discs, 10 from ABB, the rest mixed from all periods, starting with Come On. I can´t list them all, would take me forever. But, a funny thing is that it says on the back, that this is an Universal releasesmiling smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: March 4, 2009 11:04

Thats very interesting
From what I see all 3 your Forty Licks look official, but looking like the originals is the point of counterfeits.

I had an answer from a guy in Singapore who says the Live Licks is legit, but the censored tracks are different, god knows why. Maybe the censor wasn't the same same guy from 1 record to another...

Date: March 4, 2009 12:47

Yes, and the different variations of the 40 Licks also lacks the funny misspellings as the last CD:s pictured have. I would think they are legit.
Like this one, look at the top right corner, it says:
"Super cooing, exetended resolution cd" Must be some new fantastic soundtechnique? winking smiley

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: May 7, 2009 00:57

mickijaggeroo

A little of everything.

Sorry bout the bad quality, I´m no photographer...only collector...

Congratulations Micky! its awesome!!!!!!!!

I think you need the mexican edition, its a box with the disc and the picture on the top, very pretty:

Posted by: Jan ()
Date: May 7, 2009 21:04

I've got another version of Forty Licks that isn't mentioned. It's a 3-cd release in a thicker than usual jewelcase wrapped in a double cardbox.
In addition to the regular two cd's, there is a third one with 20 songs on.
This pack has a total of 60 songs!! Mostly of the songs from the third cd is from "Voodoo Lounge". It says Sony Music Records - Hong Kong / Maylaisia. It's from 2003. It's for sure not official, but a very nice release indeed!!
I'm not certain how pictures are put on this forum, but if someone tell me, I will do so,

Date: May 7, 2009 23:47

rogerriffin

Congratulations Micky! its awesome!!!!!!!!

I think you need the mexican edition, its a box with the disc and the picture on the top, very pretty:

Cool, I missed that one, got a spare??

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 8, 2009 07:00

as i live in china do you want me to get some copies for you

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: May 8, 2009 16:40

Vilhelm, Rogerriffin, great stuff! Did you know that a silver tongue (like the big box) exists in CD size? Only one was made as a demo but it was thought too expensive to package the regular double CD it that way. I did used to own it, but it is now one of a couple of unique items I have been tempted into trading for other stuff I wanted even more.

The Japanese Box with OBI strip is nice too.... I can post a picture of that too if someone hasn't got it and wants to see it.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 8, 2009 17:45

I've a question for all you fellow Completists and music collectors, am I the only one who insists on having the jewel cases in pristine condition? I hate when I order something and it arrives in the mail in a cracked case. I spend a lot of time in stores making sure that the case on the CD I'm purchasing is in fantastic shape.

Posted by: Jan ()
Date: May 8, 2009 19:02

here is two of mine "special" Forty Licks:

This is the 3cd version mentioned in my post from yesterday
Another Version is from Thailand.I've only got cd 2

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 8, 2009 21:06

I must say, as a Completist, I'd expected to get all the CD singles and various mixes and remixes. I hadn't originally intended to start in on the promo's, but I seem to now have done that, and I'm not sure if I want to expand that to include the BTB with the bonus interview disc and the Flashpoint + Collectibles double disc as well - that's something I must decide at a later time. But for sure, I'd never expected to go so far as to get different copies of an album because one is censored (ABcool smiley, there are 3 different covers (LL), and one only has 36 songs while still being called 40 Licks......LOL

As I've acquired some of the albums I'd missed along the way - No Security mainly - I gave the US version I'd bought originally to my mother-in-law who loves the Stones but didn't have that album. I saw no reason to keep em both (US and Japanese) since they were the same except for the extra track, which to me is the definitive version. As for Shine A Light, I bought the US single disc version and waited for my Japanese 2cd with bonus track version to arrive in the mail. With Live Licks, I'd originally bought the US uncensored cover, and then when I discovered that there was a bonus track overseas, ordered the censored cover version with the extra track so as to have both covers, but now I await the yellow-topped gal as well. LOL

And who said religion isn't costly!?!?!?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1246
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home