Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Break The Spell
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 13, 2010 05:11

An above average from their last (IMO) great album. Bill's swan song. Slipping Away is a classic. Blinded By Love is beautifully written. A couple clunkers, but a fantastic comeback album from the dredges of Undercover and Dirty Work. They certainly haven't made anything better in the studio since, and probably never will.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: August 23, 2016 09:45

I love it. But Mick's adjuring the gypsy makes me wonder what exactly is the spell?

Date: August 23, 2016 09:54

A different blues track – exactly what the Stones are so good at. Love the guitars and bass, and Mick sings like only Mick can. A greatly performed tune.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 23, 2016 10:42

There's a distinct rockabilly rhythm & feel (and def nót straight-forward blues, imo) to this one; and ther' a nice, very fitting production laid over it (f.i. the slight 'Sun Studio' styled echo, etc.)... and for that reason alone I very much like it.
But I admit: the song itself is kinda forgetable. Still: makes a véry nice 'filler' (and, sometimes, you simply need fillers to get a full album don't you spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

Date: August 23, 2016 10:45

RoughJusticeOnYa
There's a distinct rockabilly rhythm & feel (and def nót straight-forward blues, imo) to this one; and ther' a nice, very fitting production laid over it (f.i. the slight 'Sun Studio' styled echo, etc.)... and for that reason alone I very much like it.
But I admit: the song itself is kinda forgetable. Still: makes a véry nice 'filler' (and, sometimes, you simply need fillers to get a full album don't you spinning smiley sticking its tongue out )

I agree totally, on all counts. You described it better than I could thumbs up

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: August 23, 2016 10:58

DandelionPowderman
RoughJusticeOnYa

I agree totally, on all counts. You described it better than I could thumbs up

smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: August 23, 2016 11:09

DandelionPowderman
A different blues track – exactly what the Stones are so good at. Love the guitars and bass, and Mick sings like only Mick can. A greatly performed tune.

thumbs up
They don't need to do a blues covers album.
They can make great original blues.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 23, 2016 12:28

Break The Spell is the only listenable song on the b-side of Steel Wheels. I think it´s the album´s best song. Back then I prefered Mixed Emotions & Hold On To Your Hat, but Break The Spell is indeed THE outstanding track on for the most part very lame Steel Wheels.

Break The Spell blows my mind every time I listen to it. Marvelous.

Date: August 23, 2016 13:21

HMS
Break The Spell is the only listenable song on the b-side of Steel Wheels. I think it´s the album´s best song. Back then I prefered Mixed Emotions & Hold On To Your Hat, but Break The Spell is indeed THE outstanding track on for the most part very lame Steel Wheels.

Break The Spell blows my mind every time I listen to it. Marvelous.

It's a pity that you don't experience the beauty of Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away. I think both are excellent.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 23, 2016 14:12

DandelionPowderman
It's a pity that you don't experience the beauty of Almost Hear You Sigh and Slipping Away. I think both are excellent.

I liked Almost Hear You Sigh a lot when the album came out. Over the years I changed my mind, I think Mick is overacting (as usual with ballads since the 80s) and the drums are soooo monotonous...

Slipping Away just bores me. Not one of Keith´s best, imo.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: August 26, 2016 04:09

Ronni's bass line and playing kick ass. The rest is just ok.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 28, 2016 03:29

The point, it seems, is in the same league as some of their odd LP tracks over the years: it makes the album interesting at that point.

Moon Is Up, Can You Hear The Music, I Just Want To See His Face, Down In The Hole, Time Waits For No One, If You Really Want To Be My Friend, Feel On Baby, Dear Doctor, Break The Spell, How Can I Stop, Far Away Eyes, Country Honk, Heaven. Those sometimes odd tracks that are a nice sweet bit.

There's always some kind of odd track that is good and Break The Spell is the little glint of magnificence still at their fingertips on the somewhat rather tepid STEEL WHEELS yet still miles above the previous album, of course; SW is like EOMS compared to that pile of dog shit - and it was severely necessary and needed to save face. Fortunately they were able to do so, and it indeed did save their career and offer hope that they weren't dead as they were in 1986.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: August 28, 2016 03:58

Hate the song. Very weak IMO.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home