Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

METALLICA SAVED BY THE STONES
Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: February 25, 2009 17:14

Rockers METALLICA were saved from splitting up - by the ROLLING STONES.
The Enter Sandman hitmakers were in limbo following the release of their St Anger album in 2003.
Drummer Lars Ulrich admits the band's future was "pretty bleak" and he was preparing himself for "something different" when frontman James Hetfield took months off to fight his addiction to alcohol.
But it was the chance of performing on the same bill as the Stones that saved Metallica from meltdown.
Ulrich says, "The big turn around was when the Rolling Stones called us in the summer of 2005 and asked if we would play with them in San Francisco. We hadn't done anything since the St Anger tour ended seven or eight months earlier. We showed up at HQ four or five days before the gig. None of us had seen each other for quite a while.
"There was no film crew, no producer, no psychiatrist, no minders, no babysitters, none of that s**t. It was just us four guys and we started playing music and rehearsing. And it was so effortless and low key without all the c**p.
"We didn't have to sit down and talk about how we were feeling and all of that horses**t. That set the tone for the next three years and it's been great."

Re: METALLICA SAVED BY THE STONES
Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: February 25, 2009 17:19

Proof positive that The Rolling Stones are not perfect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-25 17:19 by GNAT.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 25, 2009 17:19

I've heard different opinions cocncerning the Stones by them.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 25, 2009 20:22

Yeah. Lars Ulrich called CW a loser or sth like that cos he wasn't as technical as other drummers. He Just forgot Charlie has the SWING! No need for him to play with double bass-drums...

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: February 25, 2009 23:34

dcba
Yeah. Lars Ulrich called CW a loser or sth like that cos he wasn't as technical as other drummers. He Just forgot Charlie has the SWING! No need for him to play with double bass-drums...

I remember a quote from Ulrich from years ago where he said Charlie Watts and Phil Rudd were drummers he never appreciated when he was growing up, but that they had become his favourites as he grew older.

I would be amazed if he ever called Charlie a loser - source please.

And no I cant remember where I read my quote tho it was probably Kerrang around 1990

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 25, 2009 23:44

The Stones saved Metallica? To bad. If they have the power to do that maybe they can get rid of Amy Winehouse.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:03

yeah and then the stones ignored them backstage at the meet n greet, lol

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 26, 2009 01:37

They didn't ignore them. Was it also Lars who told the story about the backstage meeting? He, or another one of them, explained how it went and it was just the same as it always goes. The Stones have there meet and greet with the warm up act just as they walk to the stage. They meet and shake hands and talk while they slowly walk to the stage. I agree with him that it's not really a nice way for a meet and greet. You can see how it goes on the Bigger Bang dvd when they meet with the Dave Matthews band while walking to the stage.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: February 26, 2009 06:50

i like metallica but never liked lars , he's an ass . charlie doesn't need to do a drum solo ,or be a camera hog, and put down other musicians to make himself feel good about himself. charlie has class, something lars will never have

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1121
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home