Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

english
Posted by: kinoliksmith ()
Date: February 22, 2009 10:24

I ask some someone "Have you completed your work? ". He replies "No" I ask the same question to another man ""Have you completed your work? ". He replies "No, not yet"

Any difference between the 2 answers.

Re: english
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 22, 2009 10:29

Is that a rhetorical question?

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: February 22, 2009 10:45

can you give us a little help?

I've three questions:

1) Which kind of work they do?
2) or, at least, they do the same work?
3) the second one is chinese?

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 22, 2009 11:01

the second one is slightly more talkative!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 22, 2009 11:24

The first case is absolute and offers no indication that the work will at some point be done. The second case indicates that the work will be completed at some later date. Not sure what that is called grammatically but that is the meaning.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2009 11:29

The first answerer is a smart-arse
.......The second is a layed-back cat

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: February 22, 2009 11:39

Oh NO! Sunnybandyokid is making us do his home work again! Not falling for it this time around.
SUNNY: In case you didn't notice, this is a Rolling Stones board. Not a forum for "help kids with their home work"...
BV - ehe editor here - would like to cut down on the OT - off topic - threads. Off topic means stuff that's got nothing to do with the Stones.
I think we'd better respect his wish, don't you? He's kind of like "the teacher" in this calss - sorry - board.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: February 22, 2009 12:26

Is this for real????

Look it up eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 22, 2009 14:43

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 22, 2009 21:16

Yes,a definite winner in worst thread category.thumbs down

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 22, 2009 21:38

Somebody asked me why I always answer a question with another question.

I said "Do I really?"

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:09

kinoliksmith
I ask some someone "Have you completed your work? ". He replies "No" I ask the same question to another man ""Have you completed your work? ". He replies "No, not yet"

Tell them they're lazy bastards^^

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:10

sweetcharmedlife

doesn't even get close to the rest of kinoliksmith threads :-)

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 22, 2009 22:20

Amused
sweetcharmedlife

doesn't even get close to the rest of kinoliksmith threads :-)

Oh I know,I was just talking about worse thread today.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Deluxtone ()
Date: February 22, 2009 23:45

Addicted
Oh NO! Sunnybandyokid is making us do his home work again! Not falling for it this time around.
SUNNY: In case you didn't notice, this is a Rolling Stones board. Not a forum for "help kids with their home work"...
BV - ehe editor here - would like to cut down on the OT - off topic - threads. Off topic means stuff that's got nothing to do with the Stones.
I think we'd better respect his wish, don't you? He's kind of like "the teacher" in this calss - sorry - board.

kinoliksmith,

Next time make it Stones-related like this:

I ask KEITH RICHARD "Have you completed your work? ". keith replies "No".

I ask the same question of MICK JAGGER "Have you completed your work? ". Mick replies "No, not yet"

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: February 22, 2009 23:53

my answer to this, i must admitt, interesting q ( i mean it from a pchycological and linguistic point of wiew ), since knowing not more of the circumstances, is :
there is no difference between the answers.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 23, 2009 01:07

1. a direct answer
2. Procrastination

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 23, 2009 04:28

kinoliksmith

Any difference between the 2 answers.

First answer is direct and succinct. But it also does not offer any courtesy of assurance about whether there is any intention to finish. The spoken "no" might be followed in the person's mind silently: "[Now get lost.]"

On the other hand, the second answer, while it is also direct, the "not yet" part can be interpreted in a different ways too. It can mean "No, [I'm] not [done] yet... but I think I am trying to be done real soon." But it can also be interpreted to mean "No [I'm] not [done] yet, [now get off my back already. It will be done when I'm finished!]"

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 23, 2009 12:08

Kinoliksmith move over. If your gonna ask questions take a tip from this guy.

The following is an actual question given on a University of
Washington chemistry mid term.

The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well :

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.

Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct......leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting 'Oh my God.'

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home