Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Around And Around in open g
Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: February 19, 2009 21:17

Keith play Around and Around in open g tuning, you can see it at the show in Knebworth 1976.

Anyone know the tab?

Re: Around And Around in open g
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 19, 2009 23:10

He also plays it that way on the El Mocombo side of Live You Live. There was a thread about this sometime back as well so you might try searching for it to see if there are any links to tabs though I don't remember that being the case. A method I would recommend to improve your skills is to figure it out by listening to it as many times as needed until you nail it. Figuring stuff out by ear is great training for a musician!

Posted by: Rocknroll1969 ()
Date: February 20, 2009 02:28

The original recording by the Stones is in standard tuning. An A, D and E song. Strange he would play this in open G as Chuck Berry riffs are easier in standard tuning.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 20, 2009 02:34

Yeah, why make an easy song hard! But then what do I know.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: February 20, 2009 02:35

Keith's switch from standard tuning to open tuning takes "Around around"' to new heights.Compare Keith's playing of that song in 1964 to the El Mocambo(1977) version of the Chuck Berry's nugget: that is a case of pure and simple evolution; from infancy to adulthood. Badda bing badda boom!!!
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 20, 2009 02:41

That doesn't seem right at all.

I'd have to listen to it but if Keith did go to Open G then he would not have been able to do ANY soloing in the song. The only thing he would've done was play rhythm...which is a limited position to be in while in Open G and playing something like Chuck Berry.

If you're telling me Keith does in fact play solos, the fills and leads throughout the song...there's no way he could be in Open G...he'd have to be in standard.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 20, 2009 05:06

if I recall the previous discussion accurately, it was concluded there he plays the same licks as if he were in standard tuning, and they just come out slightly differently. But I haven't tried it myself.

Date: February 20, 2009 10:16

It's open G for sure. IMO, the song gets more punch, and Keith's solo is also cool.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 20, 2009 10:58

Justin

I'd have to listen to it but if Keith did go to Open G then he would not have been able to do ANY soloing in the song. The only thing he would've done was play rhythm...which is a limited position to be in while in Open G and playing something like Chuck Berry.

If you're telling me Keith does in fact play solos, the fills and leads throughout the song...there's no way he could be in Open G...he'd have to be in standard.

Keith always soloed on Honky Tonk which is in open G too!

C

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 20, 2009 11:59

That's one of the songs I really want to master. Just can't get that opening lick. It's harder to play great than you think.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 20, 2009 11:59

Open-G...well it´s easily done - let the thin e-string remain i standardtuning, and voila: you can play in open-g and do the Berry-stuff too! I always thougt that´s how he always tune for BSugar and HTWomen and so on. I do it, anyway.

Date: February 20, 2009 12:03

you can also do the Berry-stuff in open G w o adjusting. Just place your pinky finger two frets up while doing the riffs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 20, 2009 12:33

Keith is in open G with a capo on the second fret at Knebworth and El Mocambo. Ron Wood plays all the Chcuk Berry fills, not keith.

The solo by Keith on Love You Live is plain brilliant, as he shows you can play a brutal, loud and aggressive solo by just bending 2 notes and ending with the familiar three-note Berry lick, just as he does in the first 8 bars of all Honky Tonk Women solo's.

Mathijs

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 20, 2009 12:45

Bjorn
Open-G...well it´s easily done - let the thin e-string remain i standardtuning, and voila: you can play in open-g and do the Berry-stuff too! I always thougt that´s how he always tune for BSugar and HTWomen and so on. I do it, anyway.

Open G tuning with the e string left in the standart tuning? That sounds like a complete mess to me. Considering that Keith removes the E string, it means that only the A string is tuned to G? Sounds wierd to me. I might be wrong of course. Anyway - both Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women are played in a normal open-g tuning for sure. BS is very easy, HTW is a bit more complicated, but not too much really.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-20 12:48 by Happy24.

Date: February 20, 2009 12:48

Justin

What do you find so complicated about soloing in open-g Justin? You either stick to the h, g, d strings and then it is all the same or if you use the other strings, the licks are just a bit different. That is not impossible. Or do I get you wrong?

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: February 20, 2009 13:03

Keith doesn't play any guitar solos during the song at the Knebworth concert (check out the video!).

Date: February 20, 2009 13:05

He does in the El Mocambo version.

hot smileyhot smileyRe: Around And Around in open g
Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: February 20, 2009 14:01

Happy 24: No mess! I said "THIN" e-string, the THICK one you never touch anyway. Nothing strange at all: GDGBE (top to bottom-thick to thin). If Keith doesnt tune like that - I seem to have discovered something new!

Re: hot smileyhot smileyRe: Around And Around in open g
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 20, 2009 14:21

Bjorn
Happy 24: No mess! I said "THIN" e-string, the THICK one you never touch anyway. Nothing strange at all: GDGBE (top to bottom-thick to thin). If Keith doesnt tune like that - I seem to have discovered something new!

Indeed you have discovered something new!

C

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 20, 2009 20:21

I just looked at the Around footage on the Joint Trip dvd(some of the clearest I've seen of this segment)and it doesnt look like hes playing in open tuning to me. Also as pointed out above the studio version is in A - This performance seems to be in C(thats what it matches up to with a standard tuned acoustic) Also there is NO capo on Keiths guitar on this song! If anyone else has this version see what you think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-20 20:24 by scottkeef.

Date: February 21, 2009 12:20

scottkeef
I just looked at the Around footage on the Joint Trip dvd(some of the clearest I've seen of this segment)and it doesnt look like hes playing in open tuning to me. Also as pointed out above the studio version is in A - This performance seems to be in C(thats what it matches up to with a standard tuned acoustic) Also there is NO capo on Keiths guitar on this song! If anyone else has this version see what you think.

If you're talking about Knebworth: Keith's playing the Zemaitis five string, hence open G. They play in C.

In the El Mocambo Keith's in open G on a Tele, capo on 2nd fret, so they play in A.

Mathijs

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: February 21, 2009 16:23

No wonder he got that sound

Date: February 23, 2009 12:29

Bjorn

I understood you well Bjorn, maybe I didn't make myself clear - if you keep the thin e string in the normal tuning, then you can not play the simple barre style of the major cords witht two-finger changes, hitting all strings, which is the point of the open-g (Keith call his style three chords, two fingers, one ass hole - if I am not mistaken). If you tune the guitar your way and play in the Keith's way, you have to be carefull not to hit the e-string. It might work well of course, it is just not the way Keith plays :-) But just go on, develop your playing in your tuning, maybe in a couple of years you will have many followers! :-) There is nothing wrong with being original!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-23 14:21 by Happy24.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2009 12:46

Happy24
There is nothing wrong with being original!

Indeed,if you realize standard guitartuning is Emin7 sus4 , the possibilities
are numerous....eye popping smiley

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 23, 2009 18:19

Wow you lot do go on and like to make a huge pile out of nothing. I play in open G by

1. having a guitar set up with just five strings tuned to 'proper' open G

2. on my six string tuning the A to G only

3. on my six string tuning the A to G and the E to D and just don't hit the E (42) string.

I don't worry about who did what with a capo or dropped D or on what kind of guitar. Just shut up and play.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2009 20:27

Low to high

G
D
G
B
D

Remove the low E.

Yes, lead can be played in Open-G, your box is just different from the standard pentatonic box.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2009 20:40

The version on LYL from El Mocambo really kicks. Sounds like a sliding 6th chord ala Chcuk Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee".

Ronnie Wood plays a mean version of "Memphis" on the Faces' A Nod's As Good As A Wink (betcha already knew that).

Date: February 27, 2009 00:21

Mathijs
scottkeef

If you're talking about Knebworth: Keith's playing the Zemaitis five string, hence open G. They play in C.

In the El Mocambo Keith's in open G on a Tele, capo on 2nd fret, so they play in A.

Mathijs

Yeah Mahijs, he played in Knebworth in C (open G) and El Macambo in A (open G), but why do you think he use a capo on the second fret? You have see any pic of it?

Date: July 17, 2011 16:57

The seventies version in open g are more powerful than the older ones

Date: July 18, 2011 10:04

thomas guitar
Mathijs
scottkeef

Mathijs

Yeah Mahijs, he played in Knebworth in C (open G) and El Macambo in A (open G), but why do you think he use a capo on the second fret? You have see any pic of it?

Actually, yes, there's a pic I believe Soul posted on the El Mocambo picture thread. It did not show a Tele though -he used the Zemaitis with a capo on the second fret.

Mathijs

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home