Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: What's your favorite Ron Wood solos
Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: February 18, 2009 02:35

T&A
Barn Owl
...all of which might explain why I DO like this much-maligned guitar break so much.

is it really criticized that much? i've always thought it was the perfect keith break...the power is in its economy of notes....and, oh by the by...ronnie could never bend notes like this...that's keith's signature....

You have to remember that back in 1980, it was still open season on the Stones as far as the UK's music press were concerned, with each album release bringing with it, a customary onslaught of criticism.

Some of the more constructive criticism of Emotional Rescue drew attention to the Stones' inability to provide anything like a decent guitar break throughout the entire album, mercilessly singling out Ronnie as the biggest culprit. It was in this context that the Melody Maker described what breaks there were as "pathetic", with Sounds adopting a similar stance. Nick Kent, writing in NME some weeks later, also argued that as a guitar band, the Stones (on the evidence of ER) had basically lost it. This was following on from his actual review of the album in which he had detected that it was basically two solo albums merged into one, each with it's own production.

I personally thought that the album had some nice touches even though, in the scheme of things, it would be fair to descibe it as a nadir in the Stones' history.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: February 18, 2009 03:22

boston2006
DandelionPowderman
Worried About You isn't Ronnie.

is this just for show in this video ? ( Starts @ 2:40 0r so in both videos )

Looks like Ronnie to me !

The studio version .

Oh man, i can't watch that for long. Love the song, but watching them lip synch it is painful. Why didn't they just do a live performance for the video . . . i guess it was the thing to do at the time; not that they would do a "live" video now . . . sometimes i wish they were a little different type of band.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 18, 2009 06:36

Big Bayou's got a good solo.
The B-Bender licks at the end of Before They Make Me Run.
Black Limo
Summer Romance, Lies,
Hampton 1981 version of Shattered, he nails the middle solo really good.
YCAGWYW from LA 1975, but I can't remeber which version is better,
the 9th or the 10th. Perhaps they're both equally good.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 18, 2009 07:04

Barn Owl
You have to remember that back in 1980, it was still open season on the Stones as far as the UK's music press were concerned, with each album release bringing with it, a customary onslaught of criticism.

you and LOGIE have incredibly vivid memories of the Stones' profile in the UK rock papers in this period... did either of you guys work in the business? You make it sound like it was yesterday.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 18, 2009 09:04

Barn Owl
T&A
Barn Owl
...all of which might explain why I DO like this much-maligned guitar break so much.

is it really criticized that much? i've always thought it was the perfect keith break...the power is in its economy of notes....and, oh by the by...ronnie could never bend notes like this...that's keith's signature....

Some of the more constructive criticism of Emotional Rescue drew attention to the Stones' inability to provide anything like a decent guitar break throughout the entire album, mercilessly singling out Ronnie as the biggest culprit. It was in this context that the Melody Maker described what breaks there were as "pathetic", with Sounds adopting a similar stance. Nick Kent, writing in NME some weeks later, also argued that as a guitar band, the Stones (on the evidence of ER) had basically lost it. This was following on from his actual review of the album in which he had detected that it was basically two solo albums merged into one, each with it's own production.

I personally thought that the album had some nice touches even though, in the scheme of things, it would be fair to descibe it as a nadir in the Stones' history.

Well, if you're just looking for decent guitar breaks, you may miss some really good things. I think the guitar interplay on Dance, Summer Romance, Let Me Go,
Where the Boys Go, She's So Cold are some of the best in the band's career.
That being said, I do think ER os one of those "strange" records that a band puts out in their career. It's got a totally different mix and feel when compared to Some Girls. It lacks the punch that Some Girls had and was continued on Tattoo You.

Date: February 18, 2009 11:38

Not to forget the soar and beautiful Down In The Hole! Great interplay.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: February 18, 2009 11:54

All time favorite is YCAGWYW from LSTNT. Maggie May is #2.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: February 18, 2009 12:54

Barn Owl
This was following on from his actual review of the album in which he had detected that it was basically two solo albums merged into one, each with it's own production.

This is interesting. So it would break down thus:

Dance (Ronnie + Mick)
Summer Romance (Mick)
Send It To Me (Keith)
Let Me Go (Keith)
Indian Girl (Mick)
WTBG (Mick)
Down in the Hole (Mick)
ER (Mick)
She's So Cold (Keith)
All About You (Keith)

I suppose you could do this with every album past Exile though.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 18, 2009 13:44

You may be interested to see the first part of Nick Kent's review of the album:

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1751
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home