Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Keiths bridge on the 72 Custom Tele
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 15, 2009 11:05

Hi all!

Yesterday I finally decided to redo my Japanese 72 Custom Tele RI to a set up that resembles Keith's. From what I´ve gathered in the Ratbag thread (thanks, all) I should go for a original Wide Range Humbucker and a SD Antiquity bridge pickup with staggered poles. However, there are a few things I wondered about:
* The click-less Les Paul switch/pickup-selector - does anybody have a more specific typename? Or a place I can purchase the exact one?
* The new modern 6 saddle Schaller bridge - Mathijs, which one do you recommend? Do I also need to replace the plate the saddle is attached to? I have the standard 3 saddle version today.
* What type of "cap" should I put on the pothole where the old switch was? Are there a kind of standard cap out there?

So far I don´t mind keeping the original Fender jack cup, we´ll see with more wear if I´ll swap that to a Gibson one.

Best, RB

Re: Keiths bridge on the 72 Custom Tele
Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 15, 2009 16:38

Here's a 3-way Les Paul Toggle Switch L-style, but maybe you can use the one that's already in there (it's probably the same I should think)
[www.banzaieffects.com]

here's the modern 6-saddles Bridge. it replaces the old plate aswell.
[www.rockinger.com]

this Marshall rivet looks like it could fit, but they don't state the dimensions.
[www.banzaieffects.com]

by Jeff Brass

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-15 17:15 by open-g.

Date: February 15, 2009 17:35

Wow - thanks a lot smiling smiley

Posted by: donnywas ()
Date: February 15, 2009 18:22

While looking at your pic, open-G, I was wondering what kind of Wide Range Humbucker that is on Keith's guitar. There's no "Fender" logo on it as far as I can see, and the original '72 customs had one, no?
Maybe I'm wrong, so please clarify.

Donny

Date: February 15, 2009 19:41

There's no "Fender" logo on it as far as I can see...

That may be the point. it can't be seen from distance because it's wearing thin.
have a look at this ebay offer - you won't see any engraving on the small pics - but if you click on 'em...

[cgi.ebay.com]

Date: February 15, 2009 20:01

open-g
it can't be seen from distance because it's wearing thin.
have a look at this ebay offer - you won't see any engraving on the small pics - but if you click on 'em...

Easy now boys - don' t spread the word on that Ebay auction, hehe winking smiley
BTW - whats the going rate for those Wide Ranges these days? About $250?

Do you have a tele with the WR installed, Open-g?

RB

Date: February 16, 2009 14:07

Do you have a tele with the WR installed, Open-g?

I wish I had.
if I ever run across a good offer of an original '71-'79 WR, I'd consider.
but $250 or even $300 is way to much I'd be willing to pay.
I guess a SD Antiquity would be the next best thing.

Date: February 18, 2009 00:11

Dropped you a line, Open-G.

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 18, 2009 15:49

How much modifications are needed to put a humbucker on it?

I have a Japanese Strat (Aerostrat) that I would love to put a humbucker on.

Date: February 18, 2009 18:56

Cafaro
How much modifications are needed to put a humbucker on it?

I have a Japanese Strat (Aerostrat) that I would love to put a humbucker on.

I wouldn't recommend to mess the Aerodyne with any new routing to the body.
they are semi-rare, afaik, and being able to get them back to stock condition would be a good idea.
The least modification involved would be to replace the (bridge) pickup with a single-coil-sized humbucker. something like this for instance:
[www.seymourduncan.com]

or.....get a new axe. there are many nice guitars out there waiting for you. smiling smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: February 18, 2009 19:02

I put the Lollar low wind humbucker in the neck and it sounds so like the 81 tour its hard to put down!

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: February 18, 2009 19:44

I never understood why anybody would want to copy another guitarist's sound or modify their own guitar to look/sound like someone else. Whatever happened to creating something original?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:09

@#$%&
I never understood why anybody would want to copy another guitarist's sound or modify their own guitar to look/sound like someone else. Whatever happened to creating something original?

Agree,and with all respect for the oldtime fender collectors:

Most Fenderguitars after approx 1978 are firewood compared to Japanese Ibanez
equivalents.It's all nostalgia cause some famous players had one:The good ones.

Date: February 18, 2009 20:19

Amsterdamned
@#$%&

it's time to come out of your cave and go to your local music store and plug in a new fender custom shop or us made guitar then let me know if the firewood comment still stands .wow i have never heard such a critical comment about the FMIC.and to compare with Ibanez sorry i think you are dead wrong

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:31

@#$%&

Because you like that sound isn't a reason good enough?

We are all amateurs, after all ...

C

Date: February 18, 2009 20:40

The Greek
Amsterdamned
@#$%&

it's time to come out of your cave and go to your local music store and plug in a new fender custom shop or us made guitar then let me know if the firewood comment still stands .wow i have never heard such a critical comment about the FMIC.and to compare with Ibanez sorry i think you are dead wrong

Well I played them all,and that't what I found out.Last week I was at the Musicstore in Koln,(one of the biggest in Europe,Germany)and I was amazed how Fender gets away with it,concidering the price. Same for Gibson by the way.
Ive got a 72 Strat,and a 71 Gibson LP custom,and they are still ok.

Date: February 18, 2009 20:50

Now I don't get what's not to be understood^^

it's all about hunting for the best sound & look. I'm not surprised if folks on this board are a little biased about the sound Keith gets from his guitars. they at least want to be in the same ball park, tool-wise. the playing abillity set aside.
why would any guitar manufacturer build Artist's signature models? - 'cause they sell like hot cakes and look too cool for school.
Lots of buyers/players/collectors don't like the look of brandspanking, glossy lollipop, plastic, new guitars.
The market for road-worn, relic'd, New Old Stock, vintage style guitars has grown huge because the old orinials sound and look the best.
the price for an original though, has risen skyhigh and is unaffordable for most folks.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: February 18, 2009 20:55

Pre-CBS Fenders is where it's at.

Date: February 18, 2009 20:57

open-g
Now I don't get what's not to be understood^^

it's all about hunting for the best sound & look. I'm not surprised if folks on this board are a little biased about the sound Keith gets from his guitars. they at least want to be in the same ball park, tool-wise. the playing abillity set aside.
why would any guitar manufacturer build Artist's signature models? - 'cause they sell like hot cakes and look too cool for school.
Lots of buyers/players/collectors don't like the look of brandspanking, glossy lollipop, plastic, new guitars.
The market for road-worn, relic'd, New Old Stock, vintage style guitars has grown huge because the old orinials sound and look the best.
the price for an original though, has risen skyhigh and is unaffordable for most folks.

More or less exactly what I want to point out!

Date: February 18, 2009 21:22

Amsterdamned

More or less exactly what I want to point out!

Ok, but your statement about firewood was a bit harsh.
try a Squier'50s Classic Vibe Tele for nearly the price of real firewood (300€/$300).
they blow many much more expensive guitars out of proportion.
the sound, the specs, the build, the price are a real deal.

Date: February 18, 2009 21:38

Ok,Iam talking about Fenders& Gibson (1200€ +..)(1200€- are even worse)
Way too xpensive for what you get.
Many players hate the "shredder guitars,Ibanez,Yamaha,PRS ,etc.Pay 1200€ for such one,and you got much more guitar for your money,more playingcomfort,better specs etc.
BTW,I hate the term "Shredder guitar",you can play slowhand blues on those as well!

Date: February 18, 2009 21:43

Many players hate the "shredder guitars,Ibanez,Yamaha,PRS

count me in tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 18, 2009 21:45

Why?cool smiley

Date: February 18, 2009 23:00

WHY? heck, there are so many things I dislike about 'em.

flat radius necks, far to hot pickups, awefull headstocks, the look, the feel, whammy bars, kinky glossy finishes that look even worse when they get dinged....and, and, and.

please don't try to convince me that they are not all like that and actually good - it won't work.
I know some play like buttah - I still don't like 'em.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 18, 2009 23:16

Amsterdamned
Ok,Iam talking about Fenders& Gibson (1200€ +..)(1200€- are even worse)
Way too xpensive for what you get.
Many players hate the "shredder guitars,Ibanez,Yamaha,PRS ,etc.Pay 1200€ for such one,and you got much more guitar for your money,more playingcomfort,better specs etc.
BTW,I hate the term "Shredder guitar",you can play slowhand blues on those as well!

Terrible guitars, simple as that. They look, sound and play terrible. What more do you want to hear? That my left hand starts to hurt after 20 minutes?

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-18 23:58 by Mathijs.

Date: February 18, 2009 23:18

Concerning the Wide Range humbucker: there's actually not really a replacement for it. The WRH has much more clarity and treble and much less bass than any other "normal" humbucker. To get that "Hampton 81" sound you just simply need an original. They used to go for $200 to $300, but maybe the current credit crunch is easing up these prices.

Mathijs

Date: February 18, 2009 23:19

I wouldn try to convince you...but when it comes to feel..playability,.and intonation and looks,good shredderds are way beyond their time.

They play like buttah only if one can play like buttah.

Many people just cannot stand the fact that the real Gibson/Fender period is over.

Date: February 19, 2009 00:03

Amsterdamned
I wouldn try to convince you...but when it comes to feel..playability,.and intonation and looks,good shredderds are way beyond their time.

Many people just cannot stand the fact that the real Gibson/Fender period is over.

er...shredding and shredder guitars really is an '80's thing. Ever since GnR and Nirvana shredding is seen as fairly nerdish and anorak. Both Fender and Gibson have expended twofold in the 90's, and good old strats tele's and Lp's are still the most sold guitars.

Mathijs

Date: February 19, 2009 00:05

Mathijs
Concerning the Wide Range humbucker: there's actually not really a replacement for it. The WRH has much more clarity and treble and much less bass than any other "normal" humbucker. To get that "Hampton 81" sound you just simply need an original. They used to go for $200 to $300, but maybe the current credit crunch is easing up these prices.

Mathijs

ps I totally forgot, but the second most important ingredient for 'that' '81 Keith sounds: the WRH MUST be connected to an 1 meg volume pot and a 250K tone pot. The 1 meg pot emphesizes the midrange and reble of the WRH. If you connect it with standard 500 or 250K pots it becomes much darker and unrefined.

Mathijs

Date: February 19, 2009 10:29

Mathijs
Amsterdamned

er...shredding and shredder guitars really is an '80's thing. Ever since GnR and Nirvana shredding is seen as fairly nerdish and anorak. Both Fender and Gibson have expended twofold in the 90's, and good old strats tele's and Lp's are still the most sold guitars.

Mathijs

Eh..I was answering Open G,but here I go.

Maybe as far as popmusic is involved,the cheaper imitations are most sold,but Les Paul and Fender also have a pose and nostalgic function.And they are really a 60-thing,so your 80-remark makes less sence as "shredderguitars" improve, something that cannot be said by Fender&Gibson.

As I said before,I have two oldies Gibson LP custom,and Strat my self. But I never would pay the price they are worth now for new ones,but I keep them as collectors-item.(They sound great though).

I cannot imagine old Gibsons an Fenders are the most sold guitars,as they are very expensive.

As far"shredder guitars" are involved I would say they are very much used in Fusion , Jazz-jazzRock and Metal.(Not my cup of tea).

My PRS and Ibanez prestige offer a lot more playing comfort to me,(one has to adjust his technical approach a bit sometimes,not for lazy players),less weight,and diverse sounds are possible,all things compared to my beloved oldies.

Eh,and if your left hand starts hurting after 20 minutes playing maybe you should practice a bit more.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home