Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keiths bridge on the 72 Custom Tele
Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: February 19, 2009 12:59

Mathijs

Concerning the Wide Range humbucker: (...)They used to go for $200 to $300, but maybe the current credit crunch is easing up these prices.
(...) The second most important ingredient for 'that' '81 Keith sounds: the WRH MUST be connected to an 1 meg volume pot and a 250K tone pot. The 1 meg pot emphesizes the midrange and reble of the WRH.
Mathijs

Hey, thank you for that little piece of info. Much appreciated.With regard to the price, for some reason (availability?) the two original WRH on Ebay this week are/were in the $400/500 range. Craaaazy!
But I´ve got GAS GAS GAS winking smiley

Thanks,
RB

PS! With regards to the pots, you have any specific brand in mind? CTS?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 19, 2009 17:19

RobberBride
Mathijs

Concerning the Wide Range humbucker: (...)They used to go for $200 to $300, but maybe the current credit crunch is easing up these prices.
(...) The second most important ingredient for 'that' '81 Keith sounds: the WRH MUST be connected to an 1 meg volume pot and a 250K tone pot. The 1 meg pot emphesizes the midrange and reble of the WRH.
Mathijs

Hey, thank you for that little piece of info. Much appreciated.With regard to the price, for some reason (availability?) the two original WRH on Ebay this week are/were in the $400/500 range. Craaaazy!
But I´ve got GAS GAS GAS winking smiley

Thanks,
RB

PS! With regards to the pots, you have any specific brand in mind? CTS?

Wow, they have become expensive! I bought an vintage one, new, not used, in its original box for 200 euro some 3 years ago. At that time there were several available for around that price. Last time a saw vintage ones was a year ago at the Frankfurther Messe, and it was a pair out of a Deluxe. The seller wanted 400 euro's for the pair. Prices have went up!

Concerning the pots: I think CTS are the best, but that's mainly because the rest are crap. I am not sure if new 1 meg pots can be found that easily, at least I couldn't. I had a 70's 1 meg pot out of an old Tele, and that's the one I used. They have terrible taper, but you need full volume (minus 1) anyway.

Mathijs

Date: February 19, 2009 17:24

Amsterdamned
Mathijs
Amsterdamned
I wouldn try to convince you...but when it comes to feel..playability,.and intonation and looks,good shredderds are way beyond their time.

They play like buttah only if one can play like buttah.

Many people just cannot stand the fact that the real Gibson/Fender period is over.

er...shredding and shredder guitars really is an '80's thing. Ever since GnR and Nirvana shredding is seen as fairly nerdish and anorak. Both Fender and Gibson have expended twofold in the 90's, and good old strats tele's and Lp's are still the most sold guitars.

Mathijs

Eh..I was answering Open G,but here I go.

Maybe as far as popmusic is involved,the cheaper imitations are most sold,but Les Paul and Fender also have a pose and nostalgic function.And they are really a 60-thing,so your 80-remark makes less sence as "shredderguitars" improve, something that cannot be said by Fender&Gibson.

As I said before,I have two oldies Gibson LP custom,and Strat my self. But I never would pay the price they are worth now for new ones,but I keep them as collectors-item.(They sound great though).

I cannot imagine old Gibsons an Fenders are the most sold guitars,as they are very expensive.

As far"shredder guitars" are involved I would say they are very much used in Fusion , Jazz-jazzRock and Metal.(Not my cup of tea).

My PRS and Ibanez prestige offer a lot more playing comfort to me,(one has to adjust his technical approach a bit sometimes,not for lazy players),less weight,and diverse sounds are possible,all things compared to my beloved oldies.

Eh,and if your left hand starts hurting after 20 minutes playing maybe you should practice a bit more.

I am truly of the opinion that the current Custom Shop instruments by both Fender and Gibson are better than any vintage instrument by these companies -except for the pickups. Somehow it seems impossible to clone a 50 year old PAF or Strat pickup.

I am of the opinion that even though 4000 euro for a CS '59 LP is an encredible amount of money, it does buy you the best electric guitar on the market today.

Mathijs

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2009 18:47

Surely one of the best.Ive got an oldie myself,estimated even 4500€ as
it's in exellent state,a '71 Black beauty.
But I love my PRS as well,I call her Blond beauty,for different music:In fact I love them both. winking smiley

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 19, 2009 19:43

Mathijs

I am truly of the opinion that the current Custom Shop instruments by both Fender and Gibson are better than any vintage instrument by these companies -except for the pickups. Somehow it seems impossible to clone a 50 year old PAF or Strat pickup.

I am of the opinion that even though 4000 euro for a CS '59 LP is an encredible amount of money, it does buy you the best electric guitar on the market today.

Mathijs

Mmmmmm ... yes and no.

I agree that the quality of the current Gibson custom shop is very very good. Besides, I have a friend who has a wonderful collection of vintage guitars, mainly Gibsons (I have posted some photos in the past), and I must say that some of those old babies just are something else.

The price of a new CS is high, but I agree with you: you buy some value and there ain't that many liuthers who are able to build a decent replica.

The fender custom shop is a whole different matter. These I find way overpriced.

Since teles and strats are very basic projects to start with, what truly makes the product is the quality of the components rather than the handcraft itself.

If you know how to choose your guitar, the standard line is good enough and becomes very good once you replace the pick ups (and bridge, depending on what one wants). Superb in the case of my 1990 sm standard strat (kinmann pick ups now)

I've been hunting for a tele for years now, and I've tried my share of custom shops. Good, yes, but in average nothing truly special (of course with exceptions - some excellent, some rally lousy).

Just recently a friend of mine assembled a tele for me. A traditional project. All bits and piece of it were the top of the market. Forget the custom shops. I tell you: this guitar IS a bomb!

C

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-19 19:46 by liddas.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 19, 2009 20:05

Wowsa, those Wide Range Humbucker prices are rediculous.
are you sure you want go that way?
[www.gbase.com]

yeah, CTS pots is the way to go...
here's a CTS 1 Mega Ohm logarithmic pot - the downside is, it has a knurled plastic shaft.
you can get them with solid metal shafts at the same shop but you need to flex them off. they are too long.
[www.banzaieffects.com]

another one:
[cgi.ebay.com]|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

[www.gbase.com]
....$89 for one '62 pot - geez, I'm searching through my boxes next.

Date: February 19, 2009 22:07

liddas
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mmmmmm ... yes and no.

I agree that the quality of the current Gibson custom shop is very very good. Besides, I have a friend who has a wonderful collection of vintage guitars, mainly Gibsons (I have posted some photos in the past), and I must say that some of those old babies just are something else.

The price of a new CS is high, but I agree with you: you buy some value and there ain't that many liuthers who are able to build a decent replica.

The fender custom shop is a whole different matter. These I find way overpriced.

Since teles and strats are very basic projects to start with, what truly makes the product is the quality of the components rather than the handcraft itself.

If you know how to choose your guitar, the standard line is good enough and becomes very good once you replace the pick ups (and bridge, depending on what one wants). Superb in the case of my 1990 sm standard strat (kinmann pick ups now)

I've been hunting for a tele for years now, and I've tried my share of custom shops. Good, yes, but in average nothing truly special (of course with exceptions - some excellent, some rally lousy).

Just recently a friend of mine assembled a tele for me. A traditional project. All bits and piece of it were the top of the market. Forget the custom shops. I tell you: this guitar IS a bomb!

C

I actually agree with you about the Fender CS shop. They are a bit over priced when new. But: you can buy loads of them "2nd hand", meaning they've been played for ten minutes, and then they usually cost in the $2000 range. But, Gibson's are expensive new AND 2nd hand.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1924
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home