Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

'Exile' - Dominique Tarle - eBay
Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: February 11, 2009 20:48

FYI - another copy of 'Exile' is now on eBay.

Check out the price!

[cgi.ebay.com]

Any bidders here?

Re: 'Exile' - Dominique Tarle - eBay
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: February 11, 2009 21:14

Yikes! Hang onto to your copy Pat. You might be able to retire on it on day if it keeps going up like this. Didn't you pay about $400.00 for your copy some years back?

Date: February 11, 2009 21:30

Oi! Yes, I think the original U.S. retail price was around $400.00.

I wonder how long people will pay these prices??

That's right - I'm haning on to mine! I want to get is signed by all the 'cast members'.

BTW, Ethan Russell is a much better photographer - IMO.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: February 11, 2009 21:55

The original retail prices were £250 for a standard and £375 for a deluxe. The deluxe copies are full leather bound and much more limited with just 260 copies and also came with a Tarle signed print of Keith.

While Exile stands out among the Genesis Rolling Stones titles these very strong aftermarket prices are not unheard of among there range. Recently despite never having done a Weller book before their title 'A Thousand Things' sold out in deluxe long before publication and in standard weeks after and is set to become a classic. The Syd Barrett signed deluxe 'psychedlic renegades' sells at 5 or 6 times original retail and many of their harrison signed books at sell at even greater multiples.

All other sold out Stones titles also sell at multiples of their original retail price. They are the only publisher of books that consistently achieve this. They are often critised for their 'high prices' but these aren't just books, they are works of art with much time and money spent on lavish production values. Given the prices they attract on the open market once sold out an economist could argue they are massively underpriced at original retail price.

They are certainly a joy to own.... while I have great sympathy for those who can't afford them I have no time for the arguement that says they are a waste of money as they have definately proven they are not.

Date: February 11, 2009 22:18

Mattleeuk - any thoughts as to why a publisher like Genesis doesn't publish a less expensive (soft copy) version of their out-of-print books?

It would appear that there is still quite a bit of demand.

Date: February 11, 2009 22:52

Mccparty, yes many thoughts...

I should firstly say that I am a long time Genesis distributor (12 years) but like to think I have a balanced view as I am also a hard core collector!

Many of their titles simply wouldn't have enough mass market appeal is reason number one. Admittedly there are some that do and I believe Exile is one of those. It is a classic because it is about an event, the recording of a historic album. Titles that don't define an event like Putland's "Pleased to Meet You" are often less popular as they cover a random selection of stuff and not something a segment of people can identify with like "That is my favourite album" or "That was my first / favourite tour".

I am a big fan of the TOTA book not only because I was born in 1975 but because it is the year my favourite Stone joined the band for example. Not only do I own deluxe, standard and review copies of TOTA but I also have copy number 1975 sealed! (I am a self confessed Stones collecting addict).

There are collectors that buy every title and some like me that buy every variant of every title but that only sells half the copies. You need the other half to sell to people that will treat themselves to something special that is about something specific they really like. However, because they are about something specific that also means they are relatively niche.

The simple fact is that music books just don't sell that well. You would be doing well to sell 10,000 of a non band member written book and when half of those are remaindered at $5 as they say in America "you do the math".

The more the photographer publishes their images the less they are worth for other publications too. Tarle can charge a premium rate for a handful of photos here and there when the only thing that has come out previously is a niche low run deluxe book. When his images are plastered everywhere they become of little value.

Furthermore if everytime Genesis put the work into a deluxe book they then mass marketed it in a cheap format they would find it hard to sell out the high end edition in the first place. The aftermarket values wouldn't then be so high so less people would buy them and down and down they go.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 11, 2009 22:58

They are the most gorgeous photos. Keith, in particular, in my view has never been photographed better. I would love to own this book but, sadly, it will never be!

Date: February 11, 2009 23:12

Mattleeuk,
It would appear that Tarle's 'Exile' is certainly the exception to many of the standard publishing rules.

And I totally agree that 'Exile' records and event and is NOT your run-of-the mill collection of photographs.

Given your relationship with Genesis, I am assuming that they would not want you involved with any aftermarket activity related to their material?

Date: February 11, 2009 23:33

I couldn't or won't anyway sell any reproduced material but I do buy, sell and trade sold out books as well as stock all current titles. In fact if you called Genesis asking to sell back a sold out Stones title they don't touch them and would often recommend you call me.

Just as with memorabilia there are plenty of sources of reproduced material out there but I am not one of them. I only collect original stuff because for me it has the magic and the memory and the passion of the music within it.

I have never actually contributed to a Genesis book dispite having contributed and been credited in a handful of Stones books. Sadly I wasn't credited in Bill's book despite owning some of the handwritten letters and the earliest concert poster he used my images of.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 11, 2009 23:59

My idea is Tardé like the others signed a exclusivity deal with GP (10 years). After the date expire the photograph is free to make another publishing deal with another entity. We just have to wait...

Date: February 12, 2009 00:14

What year was 'Exile' published?

Date: February 12, 2009 00:59

dcba, I am afraid no such deals exist (at least to my knowledge). It is economics not exclusivity which rules this world. They are niche titles and the economics of tiny margins on large production runs of music titles which sell badly just doesn't work when you can print Harry Potter instead. The exception to the Genesis rule is 'Postcards from the Boys' which was a collection of postcards recieved by Ringo from the other Beatles. In effect it was written by the Beatles and had mass market appeal. The exclusive genesis version did not suffer because it was very beautifully produced and signed by Ringo. The mass market version is now available in all discount book shops near you for £2. It came out very soon after the Genesis edition. The Genesis edition continues to trade at multiples of the original retail. I say why spend £20 on something that will be worthless when you can spend £250 on something that will be worth £1,000 and far more enjoyable to read!

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: February 12, 2009 02:56

i have a copy of up and down with the rolling stones 1st printing i'm gonna sell for $2,000----WHOO_HOO YEE_HAW!!!!! burp sorry

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2009 03:01

Hey mattleeuk ...
Please do you know the value of a signed copy
of Bill Wyman's Treasure Islands: Britain's History Uncovered ....?

ROCKMAN

Date: February 12, 2009 12:08

Rockman, I am afraid Bill's signed stuff doesn't really fetch much of a premium over non signed stuff as his signature really isn't worth anything unless it happens to be missing from an otherwise complete period set of autographs. Given the book is available at a fraction of the price when it came out then it would probably be a result to get the c.£20 cover price for it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 12, 2009 12:17

Thanks mattleeuk ....Saw it in a second hand book-shop
the other day......that's something like I thought it would be worth

ROCKMAN

Posted by: dunhill ()
Date: February 12, 2009 13:40

I am a GP freak too.
Just got their awesome Easy Company book, deluxe edition, and it sits by the latest aaddition to my library, Gonzo by Ammo Books.

Love'em books!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 12, 2009 15:14

" I say why spend £20 on something that will be worthless when you can spend £250 on something that will be worth £1,000 and far more enjoyable to read!"

230£ is the reply. GP are not very-well printed.
The retail price asked is not justified. It's only tolerable because of the "hey I'll resell it 4 times the price I paid for it!".
That's speculation...
and the Tarlé book isn't as rare as the French fanzine from 73-74 I have which is a special Tarlé/Nellcote issue (300 copies printed, wonder how many are left).

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 10, 2009 16:50

dcba
and the Tarlé book isn't as rare as the French fanzine from 73-74 I have which is a special Tarlé/Nellcote issue (300 copies printed, wonder how many are left).

dcba, can you give us a bit more info on this magazine?

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1512
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home