Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: First Time Ever I Listened To ABB From A to Z Since It's Release
Posted by: Rik ()
Date: February 7, 2009 20:54

back of my hand is not as good as all other blues songs post 1985!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 7, 2009 21:04

Rik
back of my hand is not as good as all other blues songs post 1985!

it's a mailed-in blooze...like mick said something like - "okay, let's get the 8-bar blooze template out and i'll get me harp...."

and his vocals are cringe-worthy. arguably their worst blooze ever.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: February 7, 2009 21:12

ABB is a solid album, I keep on listening to it. BOMH is a very strong blues with great lyrics. A weakness of the album may be that it is a little underproduced. DB is fantastic. So ABB was worth to be made, unfortunately the Stones did ignore most of the songs in their setlists.

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: February 7, 2009 22:06

"There is a certain feeling on this one, an excitement. There were no huge obstacles to overcome, like, What about that tuba part? These songs lend themselves to live work. They are beautifully ready to play, and everybody's ready to play them." Keith Richards, 2005.

Album - (tracks performed onstage/total album tracks)
Steel Wheels - (08/12)
Voodoo Lounge - (09/15)
Bridges to Babylon - (10/13)
A Bigger Bang - (08/16)

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: February 7, 2009 22:11

hey jumping kent, you forgot It Won't take Long.
Back of My hand - same problem as most of them, they just did not work them out enough. It always seemed to me that they got to a point where they should have picked the best 10 and fined tuned to the final product. but they just stopped and left them all on (well almost all of them)

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 7, 2009 23:14

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
"Back of My Hand" – Best blues song they ever made and did.

Seriously? Better than Rooster, all those songs on Beggars, Love in Vain and Stop Breakin' Down?

Its a solid enough song and I was pleased to see a pure blues song on a Stones album again, but there were a couple of bluesy b-sides from the late 80s and early 90s that were IMO at least as good - Fancy Man Blues, The Storm etc.

The only competitor to BOMH as their greatest blues song ould be The Storm. That's what I think at least. Love In Vain I wouldn't call blues. It's more like a ballad with a bluesy feeling. It has nothing to do with the original Robert Johnson recording apart from the lyrics. Little Red Rooster is very good, but not as good as BOMH. It would probably come as their 3rd best blues song. Tied on that spot ith Ventilator Blues maybe. Stop Breaking Down could be a contender, if we're talking about the 94 live version. The studio track ain't as good. Fancy Man Blues and Wish I'd Never Met You are too white man's Clapton blues for my tastes.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 7, 2009 23:24

I think ABB is a very strong release, and overall I am very pleased with it. For me,"She saw me coming and Sweet Neo Con are the weak links. I agree completely with the political message of the song, just don't enjoy the song itself. I think the Stones should probably avoid politics because politics is not worthy of a Stones song.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 7, 2009 23:35

Driving Too Fast is the best song here, it's Stones by the numbers but it flows well. The rest is mediocre, no memorable riffs, the band playing is weak, maybe thier first and only album without a great song on it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 8, 2009 02:09

JumpingKentFlash
The only competitor to BOMH as their greatest blues song ould be The Storm. That's what I think at least. Love In Vain I wouldn't call blues. It's more like a ballad with a bluesy feeling. It has nothing to do with the original Robert Johnson recording apart from the lyrics. Little Red Rooster is very good, but not as good as BOMH. It would probably come as their 3rd best blues song. Tied on that spot ith Ventilator Blues maybe. Stop Breaking Down could be a contender, if we're talking about the 94 live version. The studio track ain't as good. .

Blah. The studio version is one of the greatest recordings theyve ever made. The one-off live version from '94 was pretty perfunctory.

LRR not as good as BOMH? Love In Vain not a blues? I give up..LOL

Date: February 8, 2009 02:18

LOVE IN VAIN AIN'T THE BLOOZE?????? WHAT THE FRIGGIN @#$%& ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? You lose all credibility with an inane comment like that. Robert Johnson...that cute balladeer...who could ever forget him....hahahahhaahaha....

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 8, 2009 02:18

it wont take long
back of my hand
are the only two tracks i still listen to. they are fantastic.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: February 8, 2009 05:14

Can we at least agree that that 'Rocks Off' is a lullaby.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 8, 2009 05:17

Love in Vain not blues????? A Robert Johnson song that's not blues?? Boot this guy out!!! Wow!

Date: February 8, 2009 10:21

>>>Blah. The studio version is one of the greatest recordings theyve ever made. The one-off live version from '94 was pretty perfunctory.

Not even close to being their best effort IMO. It's good, but it doesn't come close to so many other things.

>>>LRR not as good as BOMH? Love In Vain not a blues? I give up..LOL

I don't think it's as good. I've said from day one that BOMH was their best blues btw.
LIV is bluesy, but I'd never regard it as a blues. More like a ballad.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: squando ()
Date: February 8, 2009 11:29

It's no Sticky but it kicks butt. Not as well as Bridges or Voodoo but still a buttkicker.

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: February 8, 2009 11:53

Most of its tracks are unlistenable. In fact, the only song I like, I REALLY like, is This Place Is Empty.

Date: February 8, 2009 13:46

How can "Love in Vain" not be called the Blues???? Mich Taylor's solos were all for nothing? LOL
What I don;t understand is how BOMH can be called the best blues numbert they ever did. I totally respect the opinion, you can not deny someone's opinion. But every other blues number quoted in the argument is post Banquet.
What about the many many purist Blues numbers the Stones did in 62, 63, 64? "Rooster" is only mentioned here because it was done on LYL and Flashpoint.

Once again on this board the 62-67 era Stones are sorely overlooked.

Date: February 8, 2009 15:31

Palace Revolution 2000
How can "Love in Vain" not be called the Blues???? Mich Taylor's solos were all for nothing? LOL
What I don;t understand is how BOMH can be called the best blues numbert they ever did. I totally respect the opinion, you can not deny someone's opinion. But every other blues number quoted in the argument is post Banquet.
What about the many many purist Blues numbers the Stones did in 62, 63, 64? "Rooster" is only mentioned here because it was done on LYL and Flashpoint.

Once again on this board the 62-67 era Stones are sorely overlooked.

Fair enough. I'd also take BOMH over any other blues song from the pre-Beggars period.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 8, 2009 17:23

I'll take Mona over Back of My Hand any day.
It's a cover, yes. So what. WAYYYYY better.
So it's a near-copy of Bo Diddley's. So what. Still way better.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 8, 2009 17:29

jamesfdouglas

or Confessin The Blues...or Parachute Woman....or I Can't Be Satisfied....or....

JumpingKent, you're the first person I ever heard who prefers Miami 94 version of Stop Breaking Down, over the studio version. I thought they really failed on that one....not just the opening bars. I presumed they thought so themselves - and therefor chose to never try it again
When it comes to Back Of My Hand - I think it was very nice live in concert....still won't compare it with their greatest blues numbers of the 60s or 70s though!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 8, 2009 17:38

Love In Vain not being called a blues? A ballad? It is a sad song. But it's not exactly a ballad. Wild Horses is a ballad. Just because the Stones took Johnson's version of LIV and made it more of a country-esque type 'ballad' does not make it a ballad, which such stinkers like Angie and Shits Of Love are.

Who was it that said Beggars isn't a rock album? What was figured out? That it's a country album? This is the same kind of bizarre 'opinion' - well even an opinion can be wrong. Like Hootie And The Blowfish - 14 million people can be - and were - wrong.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 8, 2009 17:59

its a generation conflict.

Kent, as a younger guy, doesnt share moms and dads opinion about the Stones in general and the Stones blues numbers in particular, and mom and dad find the musical tastes of young Kent quite bizarre!

Date: February 8, 2009 18:00

the FACT that LIV is a BLOOZE song ain't an OPINION....

Date: February 8, 2009 18:07

T&A
the FACT that LIV is a BLOOZE song ain't an OPINION....

sure, and the live version on YaYas is one of my favourite blues performances of all time,

but Im not quite sure if Kent is just trying to be rebellious - you know, bringing us older fans on our feet - or if its his genuine belief...

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 8, 2009 19:24

I agree - Stop Breaking Down on the 'Hoodoo You Voodoo' was total weak-sauce.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: February 8, 2009 19:31

alimente
its a generation conflict.

Kent, as a younger guy, doesnt share moms and dads opinion about the Stones in general and the Stones blues numbers in particular, and mom and dad find the musical tastes of young Kent quite bizarre!

Bizarre??? Me? Look in the mirror mate. winking smiley
Maybe it is because I'm from another generation. I don't know. Could be. But on the other hand, Erik Snow is about the same age as me, and we don't share the same opinion on a lot of things about The Stones (Example: Perth '73 is pretty boring to me, but Erik loves it to death).
And it's not to be rebellious. I'm 27 for Christ's sake. I ended my rebellious period when I realized that my red/blue spiked hair, washed-out green jeans with blue spraypaint and a spiked Stones tongue tee looked ridicoulus.

Erik_Snow
jamesfdouglas

or Confessin The Blues...or Parachute Woman....or I Can't Be Satisfied....or....

JumpingKent, you're the first person I ever heard who prefers Miami 94 version of Stop Breaking Down, over the studio version. I thought they really failed on that one....not just the opening bars. I presumed they thought so themselves - and therefor chose to never try it again
When it comes to Back Of My Hand - I think it was very nice live in concert....still won't compare it with their greatest blues numbers of the 60s or 70s though!

I don't know. There's just something about that 94 version to me. Something with the atmosphere and nature of the way they play it. And Cray does a fine job on it too. His voice is great for the way they play it there.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: February 8, 2009 19:45

I like ABB more and more too as I get some distance from it and then return to it fresh. Here are my top ones from ABB in no particular order:

Rough Justice
This Place is empty
Back of My Hand
Dangerous Beauty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Driving Too Fast

This might have been a pretty good album side back in the vinyl days!

Date: February 8, 2009 19:49

Speaking of the 5 best tracks on ABB:

Rough Justice
Streets of Love
Back Of My Hand
Rain Fall Down
This Place Is Empty

JumpingKentFlash

Date: February 8, 2009 21:45

@ JumpingKentFlash:

youre a good man, Kent...dont take my "bizarre" quote all too serious, it wasnt aimed at you personally anyway, just at your musical taste from the viewpoint of "mom and dad". well actually my mom and dead believed people like the Stones were the equivalent of the apocalypse for the western culture when I became a fan back in the 60s!

...sometimes I wish I could share your enthusiasm for the latter day Stones, but for someone like me who actually experienced the times when Beggars, Bleed, YaYas, Sticky, Exile and the lot came out its just not the same anymore.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-08 21:50 by alimente.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 9, 2009 02:18

Boy has that view gotten old. Drowned by rain in the nose. That means you were around for all the others that followed - those were all a let down as well obviously.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1689
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home