Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Does humour belong in music?
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 5, 2009 12:40

Nowadays the groups are so boring, it was more fun when I was young.

Re: OT: Does humour belong in music?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 5, 2009 12:49

YEP humour...just a step behind air....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 5, 2009 12:51

Lighten up, Svartmer, WILL 'YA?

Here, have an ice cream:

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 5, 2009 13:18

"rock 'n' roll's greatest weapon is humour. if it ain't fun, it's nothing."

keith richards 1983

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-05 13:18 by guitarbastard.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 5, 2009 13:30

Date: February 5, 2009 13:43

You gotta have some humour......

Posted by: Dali ()
Date: February 5, 2009 13:51

"Humor is absolutely important to a rock and roll record. When you think about the first rock and roll records, you hear Great Balls of Fire and Poison Ivy and Along Came Jones and a lot of Chuck Berry, and there's a lot of humor in it. And it has to sort of balance out. I mean, I really hate the dirges. I like it better to make you laugh in one line and make you cry in the next." Keith Richards, 2005.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 5, 2009 13:52

Date: February 5, 2009 14:06

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: February 5, 2009 16:29

Absolutely!!!!

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: February 5, 2009 18:25

There was a music mag with Charlie on the cover (Black And Blue suit, as far as I remember) saying: Would you buy a used Stones record from this man?

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: February 5, 2009 18:32

Zappa would probably say yes.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 5, 2009 19:07

yeah, but humor, IMO, can't be the whole point. Then you have something like They Might Be Giants. Or Zappa. They might be interesting in some ways, but I don't really find acts like those musical.

Date: February 6, 2009 14:55

Some funny guys...

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 6, 2009 15:11

You bet your arse!!

Ricky Tomlinson

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2009 15:27

cc
yeah, but humor, IMO, can't be the whole point. Then you have something like They Might Be Giants. Or Zappa. They might be interesting in some ways, but I don't really find acts like those musical.

Frank Zappa wasn't musical?

Now that's humourous!

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: February 6, 2009 16:15

Zappa was a genius !!

And now he's entertaning them in Rock & Roll Heaven .

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 6, 2009 21:37

Ol Mac Donald

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 6, 2009 21:53

cc

Zappa, like him or not, is probably one of the best musicians the world has seen in the last 100 years. Of course some of his stuff was quite unlistenable to the untrained ear, it was an acquired taste in many cases, but always highly musical. That man knew what he was doing, and that was the basis for his diversity.
Not acknowledging his talent, that´s stupid...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 6, 2009 21:59

cc

try his instrumental albums, then.

They're not a barrel of laughs but as a guitarist he had few equals.

I can take or leave a lot of his work, but musically - what Vilhelm says above is pretty much spot on.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 6, 2009 22:03

Thanks Gazza. I also have a hard time with all his stuff, of what I heard so far. I tend to stick with the humourous side.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: February 7, 2009 08:12

where did I say Zappa didn't have talent? Of course he could shred on the guitar, and he was clearly a very intelligent and witty person. I just don't find the combination at all listenable. His guitar playing albums are even less to my taste. It's not about "training," Vilhelm--I'm trained, thank you. It's about stylistic preference. And I'm hardly alone: none of the musicians I admire show much interest in his work, to my knowledge. Though I suppose John Lydon might be a supporter... but I could just as easily imagine him feeling the same way I do.

Zappa's a perfect example of why I don't like music whose main point is humor or satire, the subject of the thread. His friend Captain Beefheart is another story...

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 7, 2009 09:18

Harry Nilsson had a wonderful sense of humor:

NRBQ uses humor to make a point-- "You do the polka to the drum machine..."

Newman was also making a point with a joke

another fine example:

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-07 09:53 by loog droog.

Date: February 7, 2009 13:49

Humor is great - that is one thing I have always thought was one of the magic ingredients in the great Stones. And Jagger when he is good, has always shown deep smart humor in his lyrics. That is another thing he has lost.
But I see what CC is saying. That is the same problem I have with Zappa. No one would ever doubt Zappa's musical training, his chops, imagination, his bands - I think that is sort of the main reason he nerves me. Someone that good spends SO MUCH time talking about yoohoo bottles etc? By the time the 80's came around Zappa's shtick had worn very thin: that low throb, with him doing that rap on top, going into the quirky chorus with Ruth Underwood doing her runs, putting down valley girls and disco boys etc. Zappa's lyrics is something one easily outgrows; his music a whole different matter.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 7, 2009 14:02

Luke "Whoa Boy" McDaniel somewhere in the mid-50's

ROCKMAN

Date: February 7, 2009 16:36

Palace Revolution 2000
quirky

yes, I think that's the key element to avoid for me--"quirkiness." Maybe the term "humor" is too broad. For example, one of my favorite artists is Warren Zevon, who was witty and sardonic and whose stage banter always makes me laugh out loud. But he never made "quirky" music where you'd say, "oh that's so clever" in a high school trivia sort of way, which is the feeling I get from Zappa.

Date: February 7, 2009 22:14

According to Rod Stewart.

Date: February 8, 2009 03:30

the Faces: good-humored, not quirky.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 8, 2009 04:40

Palace Revolution 2000
Humor is great - that is one thing I have always thought was one of the magic ingredients in the great Stones. And Jagger when he is good, has always shown deep smart humor in his lyrics. That is another thing he has lost.

Palace, Rev, yes, to the humor in the Stones! The lyrics have always contained what you call "smart humor", to me, and still do, to some degree. I have found Mick Jagger open to humor in performance too, very much so, though more often between songs than during, perhaps. Keith's sense of humor is there quite a lot too, no, onstage and off? The humor in the Rolling Stones is part of what drew me in the first place. I've always thought they were very funny.

cc, you may be fighting an eternal battle on this one, in that styles of humor differ widely, and Zappa has quite a varied output, not to everyones taste, of course. :-) What were you going to say about Captain Beefheart?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 8, 2009 04:41

I perfer the humor to be in the lyrics.

[thepowergoats.com]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home