Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT the passing of billy powell , lynyrd skynyrd
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2009 21:19

just heard the news that billy powell passed away early today ,he called 911 and said that he was having problems breathing .rip bill powell on the piano !!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 15:13 by The Greek.

Re: OT the passing of billy powell , lynard skynard
Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 28, 2009 22:02

sad. Never got to see Skynyrd. Hey Greek, maybe edit the post title so the bands name is spelled correctly "Lynyrd Skynyrd".

In the meantime, am playing Freebird and having a glass of wine. Thanks Billy

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 28, 2009 22:37

Too Bad!!! RIP Billy - saw him & Skynyrd many times, even the "original" lineup.. top notch Piano player!!

MLC

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 28, 2009 22:59

Just heard about this. Man is this a hard luck band or what? RIP Billy Powell.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: January 28, 2009 23:08

he was only 56, younger than the other guys. for sure a great piano player. RIP

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 29, 2009 02:24

Date: January 29, 2009 03:59

Billy is fifth from left:

Date: January 29, 2009 04:06

One of my favorite band logos:

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: January 29, 2009 04:59

So sad. My first concert 7/4/76. I was twelve. Billy Powell an excellent pianist in a truly great band with a tragic history. RIP.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 04:59 by Rialb.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 29, 2009 07:20

God Bless Billy!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 29, 2009 08:17

I consider Billy to be the "Southern" keyboard player of his time. He was very proud that he had been given "classical training" and then, of course, there was Ronnie Van Zant to give him "more training."

I recall that when Skynyrd first played Japan Billy was overjoyed, looking forward to the trip for months. He admired Japan's great Isao Tomita, was thrilled when Tomita met and praised him. And the rest of the band was greatly impressed.

Ah yes, my dear friend Elmo, there's a cultural tidbit for all the Macon crowd.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 18:54 by stonesrule.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 29, 2009 10:44

sad news - RIP

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 13:20

Billy Powell

ORANGE PARK, Fla. (AP) - A keyboardist for the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd has died at his northeast Florida home.

Keyboard player Billy Powell called 911 about 12:55 a.m. Wednesday saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead at 1:52 a.m., said Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett.

Powell, 56, who has a history of heart problems, missed a Tuesday appointment with his doctor for a cardiac evaluation. A heart attack is suspected. No autopsy will be performed because Powell's cardiologist will sign the death certificate, Cornett said.

The Jacksonville-based band was formed in 1966 by a group of high school students - famously, it took its name from a P.E. teacher they disliked, Leonard Skinner. Powell joined the group around 1972, the year before they released their first album, "Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd."

It became one of the South's most popular rock groups, and gained national fame with such hits as "Free Bird," "What's Your Name" and especially "Sweet Home Alabama," which reached the top 10 on the national charts in 1974.

The band was decimated on Oct. 20, 1977, when their chartered plane crashed in a swamp near McComb, Miss.

Six people were killed - lead singer Ronnie Van Zant; guitarist Steve Gaines; and his sister, vocalist Cassie Gaines; as well as an assistant road manager, the pilot and co-pilot.

Powell was one of the survivors.

Two years after the accident, Powell and fellow members Allen Collins, Gary Rossington and Leon Wilkeson formed the Rossington-Collins Band. It broke up in 1982.

Powell was on hand again in 1991 when a revived version of the band put out a new album, "Lynyrd Skynyrd 1991" and launched a tour in Baton Rouge, La., where the band was headed in 1977 when the plane crashed. Fans who kept their tickets from the canceled 1977 concert were admitted free.

The band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2006.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 29, 2009 14:11

Good Band, have all the vinyl - GIMME BACK MY BULLETS !!! RIP Billy (how many original guys are left now? Anyone know?)

Posted by: bax ()
Date: January 29, 2009 14:20

I'm not 100 % sure but i think the last one is Gary Rossington...

Re: OT the passing of billy powell , lynyrd skynyrd
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 29, 2009 14:51

Yes Gary Rossington is the only original member remaining (in the band).

I just saw (& photographed) Billy Powell and the rest of Lynryd Skynyrd
in July (2008). I wish I could've stayed for the entire show but I had
to get back to a computer to transmit images.

Physically Billy didn't look too healthy but he had tons of energy on stage.

I'm a big Lynyrd Skynyrd fan. I hope they continue.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 15:05 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 29, 2009 14:59

I think the original drummer (Armitus Pyle) is still alive, but fell out with the rest of the band a few years back?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: January 29, 2009 15:03

letitloose
I think the original drummer (Armitus Pyle) is still alive, but fell out with the rest of the band a few years back?

yes...he was fired by the band. I think he's in prison due to
a few sexual assault charges & failing to register as a sex offender.

IORR............but I like it!

Date: January 29, 2009 15:14

sigh : (
Man,
this is getting depressing, the longer I live,
the only constant is......All the people, whom I love, ALL go away.

[www.hit-country-music-lyrics.com]
There's a man goin' 'round takin' names.
An' he decides who to free and who to blame.
Everybody won't be treated all the same.
There'll be a golden ladder reaching down.
When the man comes around.

PS
DONT BE THE PERSON to report it, WHEN..
when one of our freinds in the worlds greatest RnR band "goes away"..dont be that gay ( or gal )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-29 15:18 by Gregg_in_KansasCity.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 29, 2009 15:35

I was fortunate enough to see Billy play a number of times - including twice before the plane crash. An excellent player and seemingly a great guy.

Skynyrd to me gets a raw deal when they're lumped with Smokie and the Bandit, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Beverly Hillbillies, and other southern bozos. True enough, there are some fools here, but no more than anywhere else.

Just check out the guitar interplay on, say, "Searching". Very nice.

Billy really added a lot to their sound and set them apart from their clones (Outlaws, Hatchet, etc.). "Call Me The Breeze" is a great example among many.

Great story, stonesrule, I know you were close to the band.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 16:19

I remember them playing the Big E in Massachussetts several years ago. When I was loading songs onto my Ipod I thought I'd only put a few songs on from their Gold and Platinum, but you know what? There wasn't a single song I could leave off.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 29, 2009 16:36

Artimus Pyle and Ed King are also still living, though technically they are not "original members."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 29, 2009 17:19

Lyrnd Skynrd is coming to Biloxi sometime soon. There's a big ad on the highway.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 29, 2009 19:26

For fans of the TRUE Lynyrd Skynyrd (circa 1973-1977) and for those who've never given the band much thought you might want to check out "They Call Me The Breeze" on YOU TUBE particularly the Knebworth 1976 gig.

I'm sure Ian Stewart was smiling if he heard Billy's piano. This song generally shows off the Skynyrd strengths...interplay of guitars, great bass, Ronnie Zan Zant.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 29, 2009 19:38

stonesrule
For fans of the TRUE Lynyrd Skynyrd (circa 1973-1977) and for those who've never given the band much thought you might want to check out "They Call Me The Breeze" on YOU TUBE particularly the Knebworth 1976 gig.

I'm sure Ian Stewart was smiling if he heard Billy's piano. This song generally shows off the Skynyrd strengths...interplay of guitars, great bass, Ronnie Zan Zant.

Was there another band playing that day? smiling smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: January 29, 2009 20:24

Damn, that is sad news. I guess as long as Gary Rossington and/or Johnny Van Zant are alive they're going to keep calling it Skynyrd, although at this point its basically a Skynyrd cover band with one original member and the original singer's brother.

Whoever said this is a hard luck band is not kidding, looking on Wikipedia I see it says that Ean Evans, the bass player who replaced Leon Wilkerson, has cancer and isn't touring with the band right now (see [en.wikipedia.org]). These guys just can't catch a break.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: January 29, 2009 21:38

sweetcharmedlife
Just heard about this. Man is this a hard luck band or what? RIP Billy Powell.

Well said, sad but true. They were a great band.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 30, 2009 02:41

Sad news..........

RIP Billy Powell........

Peace to you and your loved ones.........

Date: January 30, 2009 13:27

ohnonotyouagain
Damn, that is sad news. I guess as long as Gary Rossington and/or Johnny Van Zant are alive they're going to keep calling it Skynyrd, although at this point its basically a Skynyrd cover band with one original member and the original singer's brother.

Whoever said this is a hard luck band is not kidding, looking on Wikipedia I see it says that Ean Evans, the bass player who replaced Leon Wilkerson, has cancer and isn't touring with the band right now (see [en.wikipedia.org]). These guys just can't catch a break.

i heard the members of the gaines family and ronnie van zant's wife own a share on the lynyrd skynyrd name and there has to be 2 members from a pre 1977 lineup in the current band for them to use the name lynyrd skynyrd

Date: January 30, 2009 13:30

Lukester
Artimus Pyle and Ed King are also still living, though technically they are not "original members."

drummer bob burns is also still living.

ricky medlocke was a drummer in the very early 70's and appears on the "complete muscle shoals" album as a drummer, songwriter and even does a few lead vocals. he left though to form blackffot shortly after they recorded those demo's. medlocke is currently a guitar player in skynyrd

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1069
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home