Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Good bootlegs of 2005, 2006 and 2007?
Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: February 12, 2009 13:45

(edited - see next post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-12 14:11 by Greenblues.

Date: February 12, 2009 13:49

Referring to the European legs of ABB I'd pick

Stuttgart 2006 (stirring!)
Oakland 2006

Düsseldorf 2007
Hamburg 2007 (to me the best among these three)
London 2007 (1st show - the matrix mix version is particularly impressive)

btw. Frankfurt 2007 is surprisingly good!

I find the US-dates much harder to judge, especially since I don't know all of the many, many recordings. But from what I have, I really like Houston 2005.

And the Far Eastern dates...well, I'm not to impressed by those shows from Japan. To be honest, I find their playing quite lousy here. Saitama is the best performance, but I somehow lost interest soon and didn't compare it to the later parts of their ABB trek

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-12 14:33 by Greenblues.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 12, 2009 17:30

I didn't realize Oakland was in Europe.eye rolling smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 12, 2009 17:43

"I didn't realize Oakland was in Europe."
C'mon don't be a prick... leave to those who do it on a 24/24 basis winking smiley

Date: February 12, 2009 18:52

dcba
C'mon don't be a prick... leave to those who do it on a 24/24 basis winking smiley

Excuse me? I don't think pointing out that Oakland is not in Europe is being a prick. Calling someone a prick is being a prick

Date: February 12, 2009 19:17

sweetcharmedlife
dcba

Excuse me? I don't think pointing out that Oakland is not in Europe is being a prick. Calling someone a prick is being a prick

Hey, no problem. You're right of course! I just added Oakland later and missed the right "category", you see ;-) So, nothing to fight about.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 12, 2009 19:41

sweetcharmedlife
dcba

is this all part of the "takes one to know one" doctrine?

Date: February 12, 2009 20:19

T&A
sweetcharmedlife
dcba

is this all part of the "takes one to know one" doctrine?

You Tell Me.

Date: February 12, 2009 20:27

werchter 2007

not the best show but the best audience recording

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 13, 2009 02:30

Good Werchter (been there) - but from what source?

And I'd like to know from someone who really heard many of them, what are the best (soundquality +/or performance?)boots from B.Bang tour!?

I had some from Japan and US and found them mostly quite lousy! Most of them I couldn't even listen to until the end.

From Europe I heard just a few. The one -and only till now - I liked was Glasgow!

Some have been mentioned now before. But which are really the best sounding (from Europe)?? Any help?!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 13, 2009 06:17

dcba
Lyon 2007 aka "the resurection show" is over-rated imo. The playnig is more often sloppy than tight.

If u were there, it WAS a great show, the best of the 7 (of the first 8 except for isle) which i saw.

BTW, which Lyon boot r u speaking of?

p

Date: February 13, 2009 06:22

Greenblues
sweetcharmedlife
dcba

Hey, no problem. You're right of course! I just added Oakland later and missed the right "category", you see ;-) So, nothing to fight about.

yeah, back offa sweetcharmedlife.

plexi

Date: February 13, 2009 06:25

Thanks everyone for your opinions on this thread. I attended the most shows of any one tour for me -- 27 but I really don't have that many audio boots. Probably have more video boots of it than audio.

This will help guide me in what to go after and get.

Thanks.

p

Date: February 13, 2009 06:48

OH, still searching for ANY recording of Missoula, Montana 4 October 06. The one and only show they have ever played in this state, and not a friggin recording exists that i know of. shoulda taped the bastard meself!

p

Date: February 13, 2009 06:49

timbernardis
Thanks everyone for your opinions on this thread. I attended the most shows of any one tour for me -- 27 but I really don't have that many audio boots. Probably have more video boots of it than audio.

Thanks.

p

So what's the best video boot you have Tim?

Date: February 13, 2009 12:08

CousinC

And I'd like to know from someone who really heard many of them, what are the best (soundquality +/or performance?)boots from B.Bang tour!?

I had some from Japan and US and found them mostly quite lousy! Most of them I couldn't even listen to until the end.

From Europe I heard just a few. The one -and only till now - I liked was Glasgow!

Some have been mentioned now before. But which are really the best sounding (from Europe)?? Any help?!

From the ones I've heard, I reckon Glasgow must be the best sounding one, at least juding by mainstream tastes, as it's from a radio transmission. Personally, I don't like this recording too much - it's your typical radio sound with heavy compression, too much bass and muffled somehow. Of the remaining shows, I'd say Stuttgart 2006, Werchter 2007, Isle Of Wight 2007 and London 2007 (first show) are the best sounding ones (strictly speaking of soundquality, that is). Overall I'd pick Stuttgart - which is an excellent AUD-recording and a much more powerful show than, say, Werchter (which has a very interesting setlist, but is a complete trainwreck performance-wise).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-13 12:08 by Greenblues.

Date: February 13, 2009 16:35

timbernardis
p

sweetcharmedlife

So what's the best video boot you have Tim?

Of course, my A Stones Week in London in which I shot the first show, the Tim Ries gig the next night, and footage of the scene including band members outside of Simpson's after the last show. Of course, anything by Plexiglass Productions is simply superb. juskiddin

Seriously, maybe Saitama (of course that is a boot from a show broadcast on Japanese TV) but I also like Dodger Stadium quite a bit. That seems to have been a multi-cam effort and parts almost seem official -- I don't see how they could have gotten some of the shots they did at such a "professional angle" without permission unless it was just something from the giant screen.

Speaking of multi-cam, the final O2 show was remastered with sources from 6 (I thing actually 8) cams and the sound is quite good by a guy from Sweden. He also includes pre-show stuff both official (rs.com) and unofficial (the scene out in front of the Pilot where some of us can be seen (not me) including some guy playing a guitar and another dancing, singing and generally doing a not-bad Jagger imitation.

I am trying to get a hold of Sici's Vancouver recording but haven't yet succeeded.

plex

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 13, 2009 16:44

drake's recordings of Cincinnati and Atlanta 2006 are good audience recordings - even some commentary from our hero, "ohnonotyouagain".

These cities are not in Europe. confused smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-02-13 16:45 by Elmo Lewis.

Date: February 13, 2009 16:46

Saitama has great sound, but there are a lot of trainwrecks... Glasgow is good, imo. Hollywood Bowl is ok too.

Date: February 13, 2009 17:30

Elmo Lewis
drake's recordings of Cincinnati and Atlanta 2006 are good audience recordings - even some commentary from our hero, "ohnonotyouagain".

These cities are not in Europe. confused smiley

Are you surewinking smiley

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 13, 2009 18:33

Greenblues
CousinC

From the ones I've heard, I reckon Glasgow must be the best sounding one, at least juding by mainstream tastes, as it's from a radio transmission. Personally, I don't like this recording too much - it's your typical radio sound with heavy compression, too much bass and muffled somehow. Of the remaining shows, I'd say Stuttgart 2006, Werchter 2007, Isle Of Wight 2007 and London 2007 (first show) are the best sounding ones (strictly speaking of soundquality, that is). Overall I'd pick Stuttgart - which is an excellent AUD-recording and a much more powerful show than, say, Werchter (which has a very interesting setlist, but is a complete trainwreck performance-wise).

Thanx, Greenblues.

I must say normally I feel similar with Glasgow. Years ago these kind of recordings wouldn't have moved me at all.
But the first boots from BB that I'd heard were so bad (esp. from the performances) that I now name Glasgow as one of the best!

BB was to me the first tour that I really grew tired of the released boots because of the lack of quality.
But I'll have a look at shows like Stuttgart!

Posted by: kees ()
Date: February 13, 2009 23:20

Why is only Saitama mentioned from the Japan part of the Stones tour 2006? All gigs from Japan are out here in soundboard quality
The audience releases taped in Japan are usually also excellent

In general the audience releases from the Stones are much worse than for ex. Springsteen and Dylan, which are recorded almost all by the great Crystal Cat label for years already. Not to mention the excellent releases from Mid Valley from Clapton in general.
Rattlesnake/Dandelion is the best regular Stones taper in my opinion

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: February 13, 2009 23:59

2005 : Houston
2006: Buenos Aires
2007: none.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: February 14, 2009 01:30

the last nite of the 2007 tour at 02 is very good IMO---good setlist and the performance is above-average....i felt the sound quality to be very acceptable also

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Date: February 14, 2009 02:35

kees
Why is only Saitama mentioned from the Japan part of the Stones tour 2006? All gigs from Japan are out here in soundboard quality
The audience releases taped in Japan are usually also excellent

THAT'S CUZ THEY ARE THE WORLD'S ELECTRONICS CAPITAL AND HAVE THE BEST RECORDING EQUIPMENT AND COMPANIES SUCH AS SONY

There was a japanese guy at the london O2 shows who had a pretty fancy set up (I sat near him on the final night), guess he taped all 3. He is the guy who holds the California "STONES" license plate up -- this can be seen in many videos. He also was buying quite a bit of not inexpensive items at the memorablilia convention at the hotel.

However, we agreed to trade and I gave him a disk on the spot at the show, but has never reciprocated nor even responded in spite of my attempts to reach him thru various means.

p

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: February 14, 2009 04:04

Radio City 03/11/2006 - awesome show and an awesome recording.

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: February 14, 2009 10:01

I think there are too much portable phone and few audio recorder or videocamera.
For this, there are too much bad audio and video from ABB Tour.
Sici

Date: February 14, 2009 12:19

Sici

You have an e mail from me that I wish you would answer.

Thanks

The Plexi

Posted by: Sici ()
Date: February 14, 2009 13:44

???
i don't have mail from you

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 14, 2009 16:22

CC messed-up more than once with the Stones :
- Chicago'97 below-standard recording
- MSG 98 overloaded tape
- Stockholm'98 KR's guitar's simply missing
- London Shepherd's Bush : incomplete recording
- London Stadium :exc. tap but poor show
- Cirkus 2003 : they hit bulleseye for the 1st (and last) time!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1986
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home