Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: 'Emotional Rescue' - Why never live?
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 11, 2010 20:40

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: May 11, 2010 20:56

Different album, I know, but you know that photo of them on the beach at night when you open the album cover of Black and Blue? To me, the song Emotional Rescue is the audio version of that photo...the song sounds the way that photo looks...

Back to the LSD...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 11, 2010 21:17

....Worried About You was very nice on Licks...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: May 11, 2010 22:47

hey Alef

Is that Smashing Pumpkins version online anywhere? My girl loves the Pumpkins (yeah, i know), and I love this tune.... would love to hear their take on it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-11 22:47 by peoplewitheyes.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 11, 2010 22:55

The Greek
Gazza
BrianJones1969
The noted jam band Phish (with Trey Anastasio on guitar) did a cover version of this tune, often stretching its length to 15 minutes at several concerts.

Again, if Mick could belt out 1981's "Worried About You" live in concert a few times in his falsetto vocal, still, why not this? I

He couldnt 'belt it out'. When it came to the falsetto bit, he 'screeched it out' to cover the fact that it was beyond him to hit the top notes naturally. It was VERY forced, although the rest of the song was done quite well.

There's a world of difference in Mick's vocal range between 1975, when that song was first recorded and 2005/2006. Plus his vocal cords are a lot more delicate now than ever.

If he went for that top note a few times now, you'd be seeing shows postponed on a regular basis than ever before. And thats for a song that only has a few lines in falsetto.

The prospect of him singing most of 'Emotional Rescue' in that style doesnt bear thinking about.

He would need to be wearing a truss if he was going to attempt it.
i was at the robin hood foundation benefit concert that the glimmers did at radio city music hall in march 2006 and they brought out the fender rhodes and mick sat down and started playing worried about you ,and to me it was the highlight of the show ,falsetto and all .from my ears it sounded like a pretty good job .

I enjoyed it too, dont get me wrong (saw them do it at MSG '06). Just think its a song Mick couldnt pull off that often (when his throat is a bit delicate, the setlist is VERY carefully chosen in order to 'protect' it - 2nd Twicks '06 and Madrid '07 being 2 shows I was at where this happened) and playing a song like ER on a regular basis - which has MORE falsetto than WAY - would really be pushing his luck.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:03

Bill would never have allowed this track to be played.
His hands would have fallen to his sides and he would have stared at Ronnie in disgust.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:05

i'm glad mick didn't sing WAY at Twicks '06 - that's a good WAY to mess up your vox on SOL and then we'd all be SOL

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:08

The WAY live versions were rather bad in my oppinion, so I can easily live without a liveversion of ER. The falsetto was never a strength of Jagger's.

Date: May 11, 2010 23:14

windmelody
The WAY live versions were rather bad in my oppinion, so I can easily live without a liveversion of ER. The falsetto was never a strength of Jagger's.

do you have any courage to speak that to his face?

Date: May 11, 2010 23:18

Bimmelzerbott
I like the song (for some reason) but I doubt it would work in front of a crowd of 50,000+ and it's too hard to sing.

then the answer is jaggers isn't a good singer. i've seen bands sing much harder songs live

Date: May 11, 2010 23:20

Gazza
The Greek
Gazza
BrianJones1969
The noted jam band Phish (with Trey Anastasio on guitar) did a cover version of this tune, often stretching its length to 15 minutes at several concerts.

Again, if Mick could belt out 1981's "Worried About You" live in concert a few times in his falsetto vocal, still, why not this? I

He couldnt 'belt it out'. When it came to the falsetto bit, he 'screeched it out' to cover the fact that it was beyond him to hit the top notes naturally. It was VERY forced, although the rest of the song was done quite well.

There's a world of difference in Mick's vocal range between 1975, when that song was first recorded and 2005/2006. Plus his vocal cords are a lot more delicate now than ever.

If he went for that top note a few times now, you'd be seeing shows postponed on a regular basis than ever before. And thats for a song that only has a few lines in falsetto.

The prospect of him singing most of 'Emotional Rescue' in that style doesnt bear thinking about.

He would need to be wearing a truss if he was going to attempt it.
i was at the robin hood foundation benefit concert that the glimmers did at radio city music hall in march 2006 and they brought out the fender rhodes and mick sat down and started playing worried about you ,and to me it was the highlight of the show ,falsetto and all .from my ears it sounded like a pretty good job .

I enjoyed it too, dont get me wrong (saw them do it at MSG '06). Just think its a song Mick couldnt pull off that often (when his throat is a bit delicate, the setlist is VERY carefully chosen in order to 'protect' it - 2nd Twicks '06 and Madrid '07 being 2 shows I was at where this happened) and playing a song like ER on a regular basis - which has MORE falsetto than WAY - would really be pushing his luck.

if singing falsetto is hurting jagger he is doing it wrong

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:23

keefriffhard4life
Bimmelzerbott
I like the song (for some reason) but I doubt it would work in front of a crowd of 50,000+ and it's too hard to sing.

then the answer is jaggers isn't a good singer. i've seen bands sing much harder songs live

Was the lead singer 66 and unable under doctors advice to sing for two nights in a row?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 11, 2010 23:39

StonesTod
windmelody

He is my favourite rocksinger, if he would ask me , which he does not, I would tell him that OOC, Monkey Man,JJF and many other songs were sung brilliantly, but WAY sounded badly.

Date: May 11, 2010 23:44

Gazza
keefriffhard4life
Bimmelzerbott

Was the lead singer 66 and unable under doctors advice to sing for two nights in a row?

the song came out in 1980 and people are saying its always been too tough for him to sing live. no way he shouldn't have been able to pull it off live in 1980

Date: May 11, 2010 23:54

windmelody
StonesTod
windmelody

He is my favourite rocksinger, if he would ask me , which he does not, I would tell him that OOC, Monkey Man,JJF and many other songs were sung brilliantly, but WAY sounded badly.

ummm...ok....but it wasn't a serious question....down in virginia with cousin lou and stuff....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 12, 2010 01:40

Well he certainly could not have pulled it off on the Tattoo You tour with that grunt "singing" he was doing, damn.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 12, 2010 02:30

skipstone
Well he certainly could not have pulled it off on the Tattoo You tour with that grunt "singing" he was doing, damn.

God I can hear it now. "Ahll be yo sayvya, ste-fass n trooo, icomeduyou, ah-mo-shinouwl rescooo, yeeeh, yeah yeeeh (the 'yeahs' sounding as if they're being belched out, of course)

Incidentally, after Mick's surprising grabs for the high notes on 'Worried About You' this last decade (a vocal style he has almost always stayed away from, even in the 70's), I half-expected them to pull this one out at some point. Hell, if nothing else it might get the place dancing a little bit.

I'd sure as hell rather hear 'Emotional Rescue' over 'Miss You' or (ugh) 'Like A Rolling Stone' (which they have played at every show I have seen them at but one).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-05-12 02:33 by theimposter.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2169
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home