Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: New U2 Song - Get On Your Boots
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:41

Sounds interesting:

[goyb.u2.com]

Re: OT: New U2 Song - Get On Your Boots
Posted by: hailtothestones ()
Date: January 19, 2009 10:49

I'm so pumped for this CD although this single i have been dying for sounds poo poo. Also dissapointed in their performance at the Obama party. But this band is a far second to the stones for me. So I love these guys.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: January 19, 2009 11:31

I'm looking forward to their new album (and have been doing so for several months already)! This single however sounds a bit too much like a Vertigo Part II... not really bad but certainly no inventive tune.

Posted by: Phantom ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:18

Indeed a Vertigo Part II but unfortunetally not as good as "Part I"

And The backing vocals remind me of Queen...

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: January 19, 2009 13:01

I like it! It sounds a bit like the POP album, which i liked a lot, so i'm excited about there new album.

I wonder how many U2 bashers we will get on this thread ;-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:15

Song is good (but not great)

Cover is horrible. Should have made it a double CD, had the music to fill both

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:36

Yea, Vertigo II., that is what I thought when I heard it. And I also liked Vertigo more, this one sounds somehow messy. But I have only heard it once, so I don't want to judge yet. I remember that it took me about 2 years to start to like Beautiful Day, while I liked the abum instantly. Now I really like that song. We will see...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-19 16:11 by Happy24.

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:41

I just CAN'T dissassociate BONO from his sophmoric "world" politics, anymore.

Some of it has to do with his "intruding" into US politics; his country and the rest of the World, can have him !

It gets in the way of the Music!

It's a shame too, a very talented group, but the Politics has gotten in the way.

By way of comparison, I "forgive" Springsteen for HIS politics, because his Talent supercedes ANYTHING he can do "politically".

A LOT of has to do with it, has to do with that he is a US citizen, and then, the Talent takes over.

Call me "chauvenistic", I DONT CARE !

BONO is a "MORON"...and a naive Moron at that !

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 19, 2009 16:03

stonesmusicfan
I just CAN'T dissassociate BONO from his sophmoric "world" politics, anymore.

Some of it has to do with his "intruding" into US politics; his country and the rest of the World, can have him !

It gets in the way of the Music!

It's a shame too, a very talented group, but the Politics has gotten in the way.

By way of comparison, I "forgive" Springsteen for HIS politics, because his Talent supercedes ANYTHING he can do "politically".

A LOT of has to do with it, has to do with that he is a US citizen, and then, the Talent takes over.

Call me "chauvenistic", I DONT CARE !

BONO is a "MORON"...and a naive Moron at that !

sound it is not just politics that bothers you but the politics you dont stand for...

i simply dont like u2 anymore since achtung baby, and yes, the kind of fanfare that bono lyrics turned into since then has probably something to do with it

but, though I dont believe in god anymore, certainly i dont feel I "can forgive" say Sufjan Stevens for his huge talent. I simply love him and his music no matter what he says or what he believes in that i dont...

and oh, my opinion on that new piece of U2 is that i deeply dont like it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-19 16:05 by maumau.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 19, 2009 16:25

Anyone else hearing 'Pump it Up' by Elvis Costello?

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: January 19, 2009 20:05

It is quite like Vertigo.

I thought U2 had reinvented their music on this new CD.

But not worse than Stones, AC-DC in reusing the old style.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 19, 2009 20:28

Very Pop-esque. And yeah, a little Elvis Costello. Don't hear anything similar to Vertigo though. And a tinge of surf music. Like UK rockabilly almost. Nice and short too.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 19, 2009 20:32

Part of it sounds like the "Only Fools and Horses" theme tune, and not in a good way.

Posted by: R ()
Date: January 19, 2009 20:53

That's a very cool and unique song for U2. Of course so was "Vertigo" from the last album and the rest of it was just tired rehash.

Date: January 20, 2009 11:32

good song. excited about the album. part of the backing vocals at one point makes it sound like an alice in chains tune. i think the album will sound similar to "all that you can't leave behind" and "how to dismantle an atomic bomb" because U2 seem to do 3 albums of similar style. (boy, october, war) (unforgetable fire, joshua tree, rattle and hum) (achtung baby, zooropa, pop) thos seem similar in style to me

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: January 20, 2009 11:34

I think it sounds like crap. But my guess is that they will probably make it great live. drinking smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: January 20, 2009 11:41

I come to think of CREAM...something about the chordchanges after about 40 seconds.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 20, 2009 13:30

That song was impressively boring, keep it up boys.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 20, 2009 15:22

Oh the hype machine! Finally some interesting / fascinating instrumentation again from U2. The flurry of melodies can be a bit crazy for musically untrained ears, but I like it. I think it suits them well that they are back to being unconventional. I've just listened to it once, so I haven't gotten round to understand yet what the song is about.

Posted by: U2Stonesfan ()
Date: January 20, 2009 17:23

Snap Judgment: U2's new single, 'Get on Your Boots'

LA Times, January 20, 2009

Ann Powers

Bono and his band of merry men are not ones to miss a window of hope. And so on the eve of Barack Obama's inauguration -- just hours after the Irish rock ambassadors entertained the president-elect with their MLK Day anthem and their unofficial post-9/11 elegy at the Lincoln Memorial -- U2 unveiled a new single. Way to claim your spot on the "Yes, We Can" caravan, boys!

"Get on Your Boots" is a first taste from the band's new long-player, "No Line on the Horizon," which hits the global marketplace Feb. 15. Hear "Get on Your Boots" and read details about the album here. (Most exciting tidbit: The digipak edition will include a film "companion to the album" by Anton Corbjin.)

Pundits are already splitting hairs about "GOYB" -- does it sound like Elvis Costello circa "Pump It Up" or the Temptations classic "Ball of Confusion"? Both connections are plausible, and there's also a fuzzy Stooges-style guitar riff that would have made Ron Asheton chuckle. But the fusion "GOYB" represents is hardly new for U2 or longtime producers Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

U2 got its mojo back with "Achtung Baby" 15 years ago by realizing that as white guys, they had to loosen up and get a little dirty if they wanted to explore black-invented sounds. Since then, one of its many missions has been to meld rock and soul in a way that doesn't feel retro and honors both traditions.

"GOYB" is sharper-edged than "Mysterious Ways," faster than "Elevation" and more non-linear than "Vertigo." It's dance-rock with a few small, tricky changes: a very Eno-esque bridge to nowhere, based on the phrase "you don't know how beautiful you are" that drags out the beat like Silly Putty, and a break near the end that has Bono rapping "let me in the sound" over a muscular Larry Mullen Jr. drumbeat that yells "I love rock and roll!"

As usual, modern rock's beloved grand uncles have been absorbing the lessons taught by their progeny. "Get on Your Boots" is quick and multi-layered, more like the dance rock preferred by kids who grew up on electronic music than a baby-boomer boogie fest.

Though it's tempting to stir up a rivalry between the alt-rock era's most beloved British band and its iPod-era successor, "Get on Your Boots" sounds nothing like Radiohead. MGMT seems like a more relevant influence. This is happy stuff, almost hedonistic, with not a whiff of anxiety or paranoia or even sexual tension. "Get on Your Boots" is a song about letting loose and letting go.

And moving toward a brighter future. Bono's musings here do not read well on the page (peruse them here, if you must), with Bono cutting up phrases he's used before and free-associating like he's had a couple of pink cocktails. But the underlying message is relevant.

So what is sexy about donning boots, in a song whose cheerful tone and other lyrics about forming community and growing up hardly suggest a pair of stilettos? To turn a phrase that once belonged to the increasingly irrelevant Paris Hilton, it's hot right now to ponder cleaning up a mess. And that's what "Get on Your Boots" means to inspire us to do. This is U2's celebratory announcement of a new historical moment, one in which America and the world confront the catastrophes of the recent past and bust out some elbow grease to make things better.

It's not quite time for a new anthem, this song seems to say, though titles from "No Line on the Horizon," like "Cedars of Lebanon" and "White as Snow," suggest those are coming. It's time to get to work. In its playful way, "Get on Your Boots" is a work song, a little jolt for those ready to rise up together toward change. Let me in the sound, indeed.

(c) Los Angeles Times, 2009.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: January 20, 2009 21:01

OK chaps lets just agree that its Shite and so are the band

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 20, 2009 21:05

City of Bliding Lights was good at the Inauguration concert. But this new single is nothing special.imo

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: January 20, 2009 21:12

I quite like it, but nothing overwheling

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: January 20, 2009 22:53

I can't resist saying that U2 are, in my opinion, a waste of time, putting it as politely as I can.
Thank you for your attention.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 21, 2009 03:06

franzk
Sounds interesting:

[goyb.u2.com]

Yeah me kinda like, thanks for posting...

Date: January 21, 2009 04:42

Worldwide Radio Goes Wild For New U2

Billboard, January 20, 2009

Jen Wilson

U2's new single, "Get on Your Boots," scored massive audience numbers throughout Europe and the United Kingdom on its debut day of radio airplay yesterday (Jan. 19), according to Nielsen Music Control.

Arriving on the second day of the airplay-monitoring week, the new single shot straight to No. 1 on Ireland's airplay chart and No. 4 in the U.K., with total audiences of two million and 12.5 million respectively.

The song also fared well in Germany (78 million), Italy (11 million) and Austria (10 million), despite arriving near the end of the European monitoring week. Belgium and Holland showed a promising start with respective audiences of 3.5 and 2.6 million.

In the United States, "Boots" received 529 total spins, according to Nielsen BDS. KYSR-Los Angeles played it 24 times, while KENZ-Salt Lake City was second with 18.

"Get on Your Boots" was unveiled simultaneously around the world at 8:15 a.m. GMT yesterday. Originally U2 had announced the song would not be available digitally until Feb. 15, but it went live yesterday via Apple's iTunes Music Store in the United States.

The band's forthcoming album, "No Line on the Horizon" will be released March 2 through Mercury/Universal in the U.K. and the following day in North America through Interscope/Universal.

(c) Billboard, 2009.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: January 21, 2009 05:19

I love the music of U2, and if you don't, by all means don't waste your time listening to them. Thank you, franzk, for posting the link to the single. I love it. U2 fans know their music grows on you in time, so I can't wait to hear this album in March and to listen to it throughout 2009 and beyond... U2 is a ballsy band. 29 years into their career and they're putting out a sophisticated, rocking tune, genuine, tight as ever, and fresh.

I'm loyal to the Stones and always will be, but they have not the relevancy that U2 still has, and haven't for a long time.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 21, 2009 05:25

Yeah..it's actually pretty catchy and grounded to some kind of rock and roll.

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:05

I have given this a go the last few days & tried.

This is uninspiring at best.

Guaranteed this will never ever sit along side however many classic songs they have in their catalogue. It's not even close, it's a total trainwreck.

What a downslide in their past 3 major singles.
Beautiful Day - Brilliant & a True classic.
Vertigo - Terribly Average.
Now This. Yuck.

Best advised to keep the FM Pop Stations switched well & truly OFF for the next 2 months or so.

Date: January 22, 2009 04:34

Bono and Bruce Springsteen: you can't ignore the big guns

Love them or hate them, Bono and Bruce Springsteen are two rock stars who have remained relevant to successive generations.

Telegraph, January 21, 2009

Neil McCormick

Should we 'Make Bono History'? Such was the slogan sported on T-Shirts at the height of Live8's 'Make Poverty History' campaign, when many people were heartily sick of the millionaire Irish rock star banging on about Africa, lobbying politicians while wearing wraparound sunglasses and breaking out in speeches in the middle of songs. At Gleneagles in 2005, a new deal for the world's poorest populations was heralded. But three years later, poverty is still with us, and so is Bono.

This week, U2 return to the airwaves with a new single, 'Get On Your Boots'.

Driven by a wiry, heavy metal guitar riff and bouncing along on relentless, staccato rhythm, a familiar voice fires off aphorisms like "Satan loves a bomb scare" and "The future needs a big kiss." If ever Bono should tire of music or politics, he could surely get a job as a copywriter in an ad agency. But many will remain suspicious, wondering what he is pedalling now.

For some Bono is the greatest rock star of our times, for others he is an insufferable bore. Perhaps more than any other rock star, he has become a divisive, love him or hate him figure. It is something of which he is well aware. "I'm sick of Bono," he said recently. "And I am him." It is no secret where I stand on this. I have known Bono a long time and followed his band since my schooldays. I can be accused (and regularly am) of bias yet I consider myself lucky to have had a front row seat at the gestation of one of the defining rock bands of our times. In terms of cultural impact (let alone ticket and album sales), their influence is all over modern rock, from the scale and imagination of their live presentation to the sonic tapestry of Edge's guitars and producer Brian Eno's synths.

Many of the most popular rock bands of the moment (Coldplay, Kings of Leon and The Killers, amongst others) are unabashed in their devotion to U2, yet arguably their real influence is not so much musical as ideological. It is about commitment and passion, the notion that a band can stay together for thirty years or more with a work ethic that pushes them to forge music that is relevant, engaging with the pop charts and the wider world too.

It is for the latter that Bono, in particular, is held in contempt. Perhaps he should be more like Bruce Springsteen, another idealistic rock star who returns to the fray this week with a new album, 'Working On A Dream'. While politically engaged, Springsteen takes a more subtle, community based approach, built on bonds forged with his audience over a lifetime's work.

His strong views are implied in his songs and his support for causes generally limited to charitable concert appearances. You know where Springsteen stands without having it shoved in your face.

Yet to ask Bono to reign himself in would be to go against his nature and dilute his impact. Back in the early days of U2 he created two characters to act out onstage, the Fool and the Boy. Only the latter made it onto record (in songs on U2's debut album, 'Boy') but the fool has often been called into service nonetheless. Bono is an optimistic, over enthusiastic, energetic character not afraid (as many in his profession are) of making an idiot of himself. As the lead singer in a band, he considers it his job to jump around and make a big noise, draw attention, fly a flag (sometimes literally) and rally for the cause. He wants to make a difference and so he uses the tools at his disposal: his fame, passion and talent. It is what makes him such a powerful irritant: he is The Fly in your ear (and the ears of world leaders) buzzing away, getting his message across.

The same spirit that drives Bono onstage drives U2 in the studio.

Ultimately, politics is secondary because Bono (and, for that matter, the Boss) will be history when they no longer make music that inspires a reaction. While many of their contemporaries have either (forcibly) retired or retreated to a comfort zone of nostalgic hits, here are artists constantly striving to create new work to rival their best. 'Get On Your Boots' is a zinger of a modern pop song, fresh, funky and bursting with ideas. Love them or hate them, it is hard to ignore big guns when they are blazing.

(c) Telegraph, 2009.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2063
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home