Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rolling Stones "Tumbling Dice" Pro-Shot Video , L & G Houston1972
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 18, 2009 21:34

X

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 14:14 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Rolling Stones "Tumbling Dice" Pro-Shot Video , L & G Houston1972
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:20

Always found it a weird moment at 3:01 where Keith yells "stop @#$%& around" to Taylor. Great version!

Mathijs

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: January 19, 2009 12:38

A bit before that moment - if you listen close - Mick seems to urge Charlie to play a little harder.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: January 19, 2009 13:00

Probably my all time favourite Stones clip

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 19, 2009 13:49

Haha, great moments! Indeed funny, but I'm not sure it's Taylor Keith is yelling at; it could be Jagger. If it's Taylor I suppose he's complaining about his guitar noodling. smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:17

LieB
Haha, great moments! Indeed funny, but I'm not sure it's Taylor Keith is yelling at; it could be Jagger. If it's Taylor I suppose he's complaining about his guitar noodling. smiling smiley

Keith clearly yells at Taylor, in response to his noodling. He then urges taylor with his body to play allong on the "1".

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 19, 2009 14:57

Very difficult to imagine how the band could play any better.

- Doxa

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 19, 2009 16:15

Such a brilliant eara for the Stones, Just can't see any band coming along to top this, I know there's a lot of good stuff around but this has to be unbeatable.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 20, 2009 08:00

Wonderful stuff, but I prefer what they did in the '73 version, with Taylor playing horn-like parts during the main part of the song and riff and horn-like solos for the outro. (I don't recall, but I think the horn parts were different as well.)

As for Richards supposedly shutting Taylor down, the Richards comment seems directed at Taylor, and may explain why Taylor, who added new riffs to JJF, BBJ and GS and his own counterpoint chords to MR, RTJ & TD, did not seem to transform the outro of TD during the tour even though we hear some of his own creativity with the outro in Montreux. And despite Taylor's neatly ending his "solo," I think the director suggests Taylor has been cut off artistically by adding a very curious (and seemingly out of place) close up of Taylor that crops his guitar as well as part of his face.

But might the comment have been directed at any of the other performers or crew stage right? Interestingly enough, those on stage right (Taylor, Hopkins & Keys) toured very briefly in the early nineties under the name Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: January 20, 2009 08:57

Mathijs
LieB

Keith clearly yells at Taylor, in response to his noodling. He then urges taylor with his body to play allong on the "1".

Mathijs

yes! always found this interesting...you'd think it probably happened more than once! Excellent version....probably my favourite.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: January 22, 2009 03:08

This clip shows the difference in Keith and Taylor's musical vision. Keith did not shut down Taylor on Oct. 17, 1973 and IMO that is the greatest recorded live performance of that song. Toward the end the song sounds like a symphony. I sense that people use the word "noodling" derisively. I don't get it. It is expert guitar playing and after so many years Taylor's "noodling" is the enduring point of interest in that music.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home