Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Anyone Attend Ronnie's Not For Beginners club shows, Dublin, Dec 2001?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: January 10, 2009 17:58

How were these shows? And who all played with him?

Are there any recording circulating of them?

Thanks.

plexi

Re: Anyone Attend Ronnie's Not For Beginners club shows, Dublin, Dec 2001?
Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 10, 2009 19:04

I was there. In fact I saw the whole tour. Three shows. They were all reported on in IORR: [www.iorr.org]

The Dublin show was the best. Great show, Ronnie was nervous but it was still a great show. I was on the floor row one, was chatting with friends, did not really plan on being front row, but we just stayed there, had plenty to talk about, and then the show was on. The Shepherds Bush show was kind of chaotic. I remember Ronnie lost all the papers with the words to Miss You and he blamed Chuch his road manager but the truth is Ronnie was sort of in a mess so he could not help it. The CC Club was a VIP show but Ronnie had a TV recording later that evening so it was made in a hurry and was not what I expected.

I had my camera and was front row at all three shows. Made plenty of great photos, and a lot of the photos used by others are mine. In fact at the CC Club again I was row one dead center. I don'tr think I had any of the free drinks - well may be one - but it was great to be there and just enjoy the show.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 10, 2009 19:31

I was at the Shepherds Bush show. It was my first live Stones experience. Have to agree with bv: it was caotic, yet a great, fun night and Slash was awsome.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: January 10, 2009 20:13

That Dublin show, December 8th 2001, was magnificent!

Ramshackle, raucous rock'n'roll, had a wonderful time! Great band - Ronnie, Slash, it seemed half of Ronnie's family was on stage with them^ Plus Frankie Gavin and I think Andrea Corr was there?

A mix of stones hits, Faces tracks, solo Wood numbers and even G'N'R's "Paradise City", a night to remember definitely. I loved the 'Not for Beginners' album and they played a handful from it that night.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 10, 2009 20:29

I didn't attend the Dublin gig, but the two in London.
The band consisted of:
Ronnie, Slash and Jesse Wood (guitar)
Leah Wood, Vinnie Karslake (Jo's brother, I think) and Andrea Corr (vocals)
Mark Wells (bass)
Martin Wright (drums)
Tramper Price (keyboards)
Frankie Gavin (fiddle)

Posted by: JK ()
Date: January 10, 2009 20:31

I was in Dublin and had a great time!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 10, 2009 20:31

timbernardis
Are there any recording circulating of them?

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 10, 2009 20:41

I was at the Dublin show. A bit ramshackle in parts, but great fun and Slash was fantastic (he came on after about 6 songs and played the rest of the night. What with the hair and the massive cigarette ash that dangled from his lips all night I could barely see his face)

There are recordings of both this show and the Shepherds Bush one.

Date: January 10, 2009 21:02

I was at Shepherds Bush. A mad evening!!

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 11, 2009 02:23

I was there as well. Met Bv for the first time the day after the concert at breakfast....I didn't know who he was, started talking and I asked him if he knew of IORR

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 11, 2009 02:28

Harm
I was there as well. Met Bv for the first time the day after the concert at breakfast....I didn't know who he was, started talking and I asked him if he knew of IORR

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2009 02:40

Met Bv....asked him if he knew of IORR

YEAH!!!...what'd he say???

ROCKMAN

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 12, 2009 13:12

I was at all 3 shows, Dublin was the best. The quality went downhill and the shows shorter and this was a 3 gig tour.

All 3 shows recorded and circulated courtsey of GRAS productions.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: January 12, 2009 14:42

Also at all 3 shows.The Dublin show had several celebs in attendance.Chatted to Marianne Faithfull and a rather drunk John Hurt.
At the Shepherds Bush show Ronnie was pretty loaded when we finally exited the building.Managed to get a scrawl of an autograph.
And the CC Club was up close and personal.Free drinks and awful nibbles.And Boy George as after show DJ.....what a hoot that was!!!

Date: January 12, 2009 14:44

The Ronnie Wood and Fiends gig was far better.Ron was sober and sharp and playing great.And of course we got Mick too.

Date: January 12, 2009 17:59

stargroover
The Ronnie Wood and Fiends gig was far better.Ron was sober and sharp and playing great.And of course we got Mick too.

That gig was better, for me, then most (all) gigs on the ABB tour that I've been to. Probably because of the surprise act of Mick. But also because of the fantastic version of the Janis Joplin song.... just a great evening.

Date: January 12, 2009 20:52

stargroover

One of the greatest moments ever.

Date: January 12, 2009 21:15

Harm
stargroover

That gig was better, for me, than most (all) gigs on the ABB tour that I've been to. Probably because of the surprise act of Mick. But also because of the fantastic version of the Janis Joplin song.... just a great evening.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 12, 2009 23:53

How often do you get Mick Jagger as a surprised guest artist at a show that is great on is own without Mick? Indeed a great great show!

PS. I am still getting goosehairs when I think back. Ronnie said he would do "Dance" next. My mind immeditely askedd this question: Who on earth is Ronnie bringing in to do the vocals? Can it be? Sure it has to be... yes it must be... and then... Mick!

The whole show: [www.iorr.org]

Bjornulf

Date: January 13, 2009 00:10

bv
How often do you get Mick Jagger as a surprised guest artist at a show that is great on is own without Mick? Indeed a great great show!

PS. I am still getting goosehairs when I think back. Ronnie said he would do "Dance" next. My mind immeditely askedd this question: Who on earth is Ronnie bringing in to do the vocals? Can it be? Sure it has to be... yes it must be... and then... Mick!

The whole show: [www.iorr.org]

thats basically how I feel every time I hear the roar on the recording of the show when he appears. The hair on the back of my neck rises up.

the thing was, it shouldnt have been THAT big a surprise. The Stones had been together around that time as they were working on ABB. There had been lots of rumours about guest appearances, we assumed a couple of the Faces would show and maybe any one of Mick, Keith or Rod.

It was a great evening, but there would have been a sense of anticlimax had none of the three of them turned up. It was Mick's entrance that made things even more special. He wasnt introduced as such, Ronnie just mumbled 'if you want to dance, you need a good teacher', hit the opening chords while most of us were trying to decipher what he had said, and about 15 seconds later Mick strutted on from the left side of the stage to be greeted by a deafening roar that would have filled a stadium, never mind a theatre. All around me, grown men were standing screaming and hugging each other.

Mick's exit was equally classy. He savoured his applause, and left the stage to Ronnie for him to finish the show. A nice acknowledgement that it WAS Ronnie's night after all.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:14

haha - reminds me of all the rumors the continually swirled during the '79 barbs tour of "special guests," be it mick or dylan or whoever. got to be such a distraction that ronnie finally started telling audiences early in the show that there would be "no special guests" lest folks wanted to just go home early or something...

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 13, 2009 00:18

Gazza
stargroover

Yes, indeed. Ronnie: "Get ready to dance with a good teacher!" I was standing FOS right side and saw him strolling on stage--WE ALL WENT NUTS!

Date: January 13, 2009 00:20

TooTough
Gazza
stargroover

Yes, indeed. Ronnie: "Get ready to dance with a good teacher!" I was standing FOS right side and saw him strolling on stage--WE ALL WENT NUTS!

I really miss such great moments during the stones gigs

Date: January 13, 2009 00:29

well dammit, there has GOT to be video of the Fiends show with Mick coming on unexpectedly

the way u all describe it, i might get goosebumps just from your description

IVE GOT TO SEE IT

is it available in some video format???

pleeez say yes and tell me where or how i can get it

plexi

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: January 13, 2009 01:41

I agree with a lot of the thoughts here. Of the "Not for Beginners" tour the Dublin gig was by far the best (and the longest). More recently though Ronnie did a cracking job of the Drury Lane gig.

A pro shot DVD does exist of the Drury Lane gig but alas it is unlikely to ever be released. While the addition of guests makes for an interesting night it also complicates potential releases terribly. I have been fortunately enough to watch the master twice and indeed the show was as fantastic as I remember.

Here is some memorabilia from the CC Club and Drury Lane gigs.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-13 02:09 by mattleeuk.

Date: January 13, 2009 02:01

Matt

which one or both -- pro shot video of Not For Beginners (of 1 or all 3 shows?) or of the Fiends show exists?

p

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: January 13, 2009 02:09

Pro shot of the Shepherds Bush "Not For Beginners" gig has been released on a DVD called "Far East Man". I don't believe Dublin or the CC Club were professionally shot. The Drury Lane gig was pro shot but it is unlikely ever to be released. A real shame is it was a great show.

Date: January 13, 2009 02:55

any boots of Drury Lane, esp DVD or if not, then audio??

anyone know?

plex

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: January 13, 2009 13:20

Again a GRAS recording of Drury Lane exists, I think Gazza knows where you can download it.

Date: January 13, 2009 15:40

I got a recording of the CC club on mini disc,trouble was that the free drinks I was rapidly downing got me busting for a leak.I kept the recording going ,and it sounds that Ronnie was playing at Niagara falls.Also got some hilarious dialogue and photos of Mr Grumpy aka Boy George.What an evening!
Bjornulf I am sure you had more than one beer that night.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home