Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Taylor ; Great AUD-Shot YouTube Video "Time Waits For No One" Taken from The DVD Bluesnight Ochten 2006
Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 7, 2009 15:37

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-10 20:12 by UrbanSteel.

Re: Mick Taylor ; Great AUD-Shot YouTube Video "Time Waits For No One" Taken from The DVD Bluesnight Ochten 2006
Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: January 7, 2009 17:26

thank you, bring me back a long time ago, when listenning again and again to IORR,

Re: Mick Taylor ; Great AUD-Shot YouTube Video "Time Waits For No One" Taken from The DVD Bluesnight Ochten 2006
Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: January 7, 2009 17:51

Tell me this guy still doesn't have it!!!!

If the Stones ever let him "sit-in" one night they have to do this song!!!

MLC

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: January 8, 2009 16:22

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-10 20:12 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: rollingmoose ()
Date: January 8, 2009 16:46

Looks like Mick Taylor Fat fingers cant move anymore Great song, the ending was nice but he cant move anymore I would put Ronnie Wood up to him now

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 8, 2009 17:32

Eh, yeah, that's more along the lines of a garage band there.

What happened to him? This is the second different video of this song and both times he's destroyed it.

I love how some people think he's still got it and sounds great - gives me an idea of what they actually hear the Stones sounding like if he was back in the band. From some of these videos he's way off the mark and the Stones, well, maybe they're OK the way they are.

Posted by: Gimme Shelter ()
Date: January 8, 2009 19:13

i love mick taylor, but this really isn't good..

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 8, 2009 19:36

skipstone
Eh, yeah, that's more along the lines of a garage band there.

What happened to him? This is the second different video of this song and both times he's destroyed it.

I love how some people think he's still got it and sounds great - gives me an idea of what they actually hear the Stones sounding like if he was back in the band. From some of these videos he's way off the mark and the Stones, well, maybe they're OK the way they are.

Honestly, I cannot grasp what you mean by Taylor "destroying" the song. In which way? All I can hear is a wonderful guitarist playing with a lyrical touch and dedication a beautiful song. There is a long time I've heard a Stones tune played with guitar as beautiful as here. Almost like reminding that the songs actually were arranged along the guitar lines (I don't talk at all of the rest of the band, solely Mick Taylor.) In fact, the way Taylor reminds me of that he was the only true instrumentalist the band ever had. He seemingly contemplates the song through. I can only also hear how he could do many variants out of it if he would want. That is not to bash Ronnie or the rest, but just a reminder of the uniqueness of Taylor as a kind of player. But taking his old capacities into concern, of course he is not the Taylor of the golden era, but I think he is nearer to that than the recent Stones guitarists to their prime. In guitarwise, not lookwise.

- Doxa

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 8, 2009 19:48

I agree with Doxa...IMO Mick sounds great live.
I love this track.. alway did...
Its also hard to compare since the STONES never played it live...

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: January 8, 2009 20:07

I agree Taylor is playing the solo the way he hears it now he could care less about how the stones meant the song to be played - once he left they could never play the song live without changing the arrangement to make it easy for guitar weavers.

I guess if you like TWO NOTE TIN Guitar Solos that bring you closer to the band then ENJOY.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: January 8, 2009 20:30

Oh dear, this is not good guitar playing! Even Mick has to shake his head at some of the bum notes, mis-hit notes and poor timing. What's he on?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 8, 2009 20:50

Sounds like a man playing with no confidence.

Posted by: GNAT ()
Date: January 8, 2009 20:57

Taylor isn't so good here. The "band", what there is of it, isn't so good either. It needs a more full sound to set MT off, I think. The bass player makes Bill Wyman look like a rabid monkey that drank strong coffee all night. Is he even playing at all?

It may have sounded better with just the singer and his acoustic.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: January 8, 2009 21:02

He wasn't expecting this to happen. Totally out of the blue. Totally unrehearsed.

He captures the mood, achieves the tone but there are certainly some dodgy, unfluid bits there too.
You wouldn't expect the 'perfect' recorded version, would you?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 8, 2009 21:24

Four Stone Walls
He wasn't expecting this to happen. Totally out of the blue. Totally unrehearsed.

He captures the mood, achieves the tone but there are certainly some dodgy, unfluid bits there too.
You wouldn't expect the 'perfect' recorded version, would you?

Exactly - he sounds insecure at times, hit bum notes, etc. but what I find amazing in this performance is what I earlier try to describe by playing with "contemplation"; he takes the song, and finds the essential out of it, and most likely, quite out of blue. Not playing circles around the right notes (that is typical for guitarists who don't quite catch the actual phrases or licks or solos), but really trying to find exactly the right ones, and not any others - and of course, due this 'naked' technics his mistakes are easily to be heard. There is no safe belts for him to escape behind - he is just outfront carrying the song with his guitar. I find his fragile tone touchy like great bluesmand's sound. Truely awesome musician.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-08 21:26 by Doxa.

Date: January 8, 2009 23:45

In Taylor's own words -

"He's gonna sing a song ......... it's the first time we've done it actually ......I hope it goes alright"

Implies the singer had the idea more or less on the spot, or shortly before the gig.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: January 8, 2009 23:55

Four Stone Walls
In Taylor's own words -

"He's gonna sing a song

He says that about five times. Was Mick nervous or drunk or maybe both?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: January 9, 2009 00:07

One of the worst stones songs ever played by a mediocre pub band, yeah thrilling.

Date: January 9, 2009 00:24

The Stones
Four Stone Walls
In Taylor's own words -

"He's gonna sing a song

He says that about five times. Was Mick nervous or drunk or maybe both?

I would say he was under the influence. He even says "He's gonnna song a song"!

So, given his rather 'sedated' condition, the guitar-playing ain't too bad.

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 9, 2009 00:29

I think for the situation of this performance (i.e., questionable band, maybe some booze and pills here and there) Taylor does pretty well. His guitar Tone is near perfect, he gets the chords right and only stumbles a bit on the solo. I will say that this is a very difficult song for ANY guitar player to nail and the orignal recorded version, I'm sure, took several takes to get right even in the Studio. This particular version sounds like a 2nd or 3rd take from the Studio without the Jagger vocals of course.

Bottom line for me was that I found this fairly enjoyable and I highly doubt Ron and Keith could come anywhere near this quality without heavy reliance on Mick and a stunt guitarist or two to save it.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: January 9, 2009 16:02

Slim Harpo
Oh dear, this is not good guitar playing! Even Mick has to shake his head at some of the bum notes, mis-hit notes and poor timing. What's he on?

I worked at this show and can explain the circumstances here. No, Taylor wasn't drunk or under the influence. He came down with a bad influenza / throat infection. During the day he was unable to stand up straight or talk. Taylor's crew were worried that he'd lost his voice. He spent the day in bed, trying to keep the throat problem at bay by using lozenges and sipping hot lemon drink. Then he got up an hour before showtime and went to the venue to play.
Consequently he was not in top form but he rose to the occasion and summoned his last energy to give the audience their money's worth. He was completely wiped out after the gig. On the way back to the hotel he was complaining himself that he was not happy about the way he had played Time Waits For No One.

Posted by: Slim Harpo ()
Date: January 9, 2009 21:32

That's cool. Lightning. It's obvious from the you tube clip that all was not quite right with his playing. I love his stuff but we all know he's better than this extract shows and it's kind of ashame to have it highlighted this way. So I'm glad to hear he was off form for health reasons, not senility,abuse, etc! The Red House clip on another thread is more like it. Btw, have just seen his date advertised for Feb 3 at the Pigalle club - hope it goes well. Are tickets still available?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 10, 2009 00:42

rollingmoose
Looks like Mick Taylor Fat fingers cant move anymore Great song, the ending was nice but he cant move anymore I would put Ronnie Wood up to him now

Even on this clip -Taylor not in shape-he has 3 times more feeling,I repeat feeling(!) then Woody on his best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home