Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Favourite Stones Official Live Album
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 7, 2009 04:57

HAHAH good one Rockman...

Oh so you know T&A? name your price

T&A
Loudei
I would really appreciate if anyone could point out which tracks on these live albums are overdub free.

sure, but there will be a charge for that....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 7, 2009 04:58

It seems like some times people think Over-dubbing is this horrible thing, at least back in the day I think it was done not to cover up bad playing, but more because of problems with capturing the show live.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 05:04 by ryanpow.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 7, 2009 06:14

where can one get the Got Live EP these days?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 7, 2009 07:15

To my knowledge, Midnight Rambler and Love In Vain are O/D free...not sure about the rest, it all seems O/Ded.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 7, 2009 12:22

Still Life

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 7, 2009 12:25

Overdubs? I don't care if an official live album is overdubbed as long as the end result does not drift too far from the original live music (however, Jumping Jack Flash with it's overdubbed chorus that does not reflect the actual 1969 live performances does feel a bit strange!). If I feel the need to listen to warts'n'all, there's always bootlegs out there for authenticity.

Artists and their record companies usually don't treat live albums as "historical documents", they see it as a product which should bear repeated listening, and as such it has to be as perfect as possible. If a live concert recording can be used "as is" = no technical or musical flaws - fine. But I doubt that there's a single recorded show in the Stones archives that is perfect in both technical and musical terms from start to finish - not even Brussels (most notable on the Brussels Gimme Shelter with Keith's guitar out of tune, that's why they used the London Gimme Shelter in most broadcasts).

Even YaYa's is made from several shows, Love In Vain is not even from New York, but from Baltimore. Does it hurt? Absolutely no! I would not give away this great Baltimore Love In Vain for a performance from New York which probably is not quite up to par just for the sake of historical authenticity.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-07 12:27 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 7, 2009 15:10

retired_dog
Overdubs? I don't care if an official live album is overdubbed as long as the end result does not drift too far from the original live music (however, Jumping Jack Flash with it's overdubbed chorus that does not reflect the actual 1969 live performances does feel a bit strange!). If I feel the need to listen to warts'n'all, there's always bootlegs out there for authenticity.

Artists and their record companies usually don't treat live albums as "historical documents", they see it as a product which should bear repeated listening, and as such it has to be as perfect as possible. If a live concert recording can be used "as is" = no technical or musical flaws - fine. But I doubt that there's a single recorded show in the Stones archives that is perfect in both technical and musical terms from start to finish - not even Brussels (most notable on the Brussels Gimme Shelter with Keith's guitar out of tune, that's why they used the London Gimme Shelter in most broadcasts).

Even YaYa's is made from several shows, Love In Vain is not even from New York, but from Baltimore. Does it hurt? Absolutely no! I would not give away this great Baltimore Love In Vain for a performance from New York which probably is not quite up to par just for the sake of historical authenticity.

I agree with that. I do find it a bit odd, though that the first 3 live albums that the Stones released contains deliberately erroneous and incomplete information as to the source of the live recordings - 'Got Live if you want it' is supposed to all come from the Royal Albert Hall, Ya Yas states that it was recorded at MSG and LYL is "Paris & Toronto 1976-77".

At least on the next couple of live albums - Still Life and Flashpoint - they just didnt bother mentioning the sources

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 7, 2009 15:41

While there is no denying Ya-Ya's superiority, Flashpoint was the first live album I got of theirs, and I still listen to it quite a bit. To me it had been the album that best captured the modern sound.............until SAL came out. Now that is the definitive example of the band's modern era. Stripped has always been my second favorite (behind Flashpoint - it was only more recently that I came to discover the power of Ya-Ya's). Really I think their best are:

Ya-Ya's
SAL
Flashpoint
Stripped

The others I virtually never listen to, and I used to listen to NS rather frequently because I heard a lot of those songs on that tour, but without the warhorses it seems incomplete to me somehow. Live Licks attempted to fix this but I hate the way the order is put together - they should have just put a show on disc in the order it most likely happens, barring changes for the night.

Still Life, LYL, Got Live.......all tied for least listened to. Never did understand the first two, who's sound quality to me is just plain horrible.

Date: January 7, 2009 16:53

I grew up listening - and playing loudly - to Ya-Ya's. It's an excellent album. Somewhat explains why I'm in a band and tour the world (well, not all of it) and have been playing guitar for over 20 years now - the influence of Mick Taylor, Keith Richards (and later, yes, Ronnie Wood) is quite a heavy load and a pretty damn good one. But the first live album of my time, that I was aware of after Ya-Ya's, and that I bought (my dad had Ya-Ya's) was Still Life.

That was a pretty big record for me for quite some time. Under My Thumb I've always loved. Just My Imagination is very sweet - and to think it could be even better if it wasn't edited! And I really like Time Is On My Side. Let Me Go is good, a nice boogie. The rest of it - eh, I dunno. Such an odd choice of songs considering they were playing a 3000 song set list on that tour. I got into LYL a few years after that - I'd hear my friends out playing basketball and they'd have either AC/DC's Dirty Deeds, Emotional Rescue or LYL blasting.

I kept wondering, what is with that Jumpin' Jack? What the hell IS that? I found it awful and interesting at the same time. I had to get it. I finally figured it out and got my own LYL - loving el Mocambo side a lot, digging IORR and really liking HTW and digging Fingerprint, YCAGWYW, Star Star, SFTD and You Gotta Move. I found Brown Sugar and JJF to be HILARIOUS - and I still do.

So when I saw Steel Wheels and realised a live album was coming out after hearing Start Me Up on the radio, I figured - wow, they've finally done it - a live album that has the energy of their Ya-Ya's performances but with a much more clear sound.

Start Me Up was, and still is, astounding. I got the album. What a perplexing album. I still like it but not like I used to. SMU into Sad Sad Sad - that's pretty good. Glad they left off UOTN and Harlem Shuffle. They should've put Mixed Emotions on instead of that piece of shit other SW song (RAAHP). They could've left off Ruby Tuesday, Rooster, JJF and Can't Be Seen and maybe actually, gee, not only put some different and maybe more interesting songs on - even some of the B-sides are better - but how bout put 2000 Light Years From Home going into SFTD like they did on the tour? What a great idea!? WHY NOT? Oh, that's right, because we're The Rolling Stones and we do our damnest to make our live albums sound awful. So yeah, this album has really lost its luster that it initially had. I still really dig the first two tunes and that's it.

I really liked the live performances on Stripped, especially the LARS B-sides.

I really enjoyed, and still do, No Security. Love Gimme Shelter and Flip The Switch, Keith's songs and Waiting On A Friend. The midget ruined Memory Motel. I like how there are no warhorses. Taj's track sounds nice, I like Taj. Saint Of Me is good - seemingly, this was when the band was still interesting in playing their new songs and digging into their back catalogue and really playing the tunes. It really shows.

Live Licks is still growing on me. It's an interesting album. The first 3 of the first disc songs are pretty good - Brown Sugar is quite kickin' even if it is hacked a bit short (which might be a good thing seeing that they play it for 85 minutes nowadays). SFM is good. It's too bad they didn't use the MSG version of SFM but whatever. Paint It Black is considerably better than the one on Flashpoint. The rest of Disc 1 is forgetful. Disc 2 is the interesting disc - although Neighbours is not exactly the thumper it is on TY but it is pretty interesting; Monkey Man is excellent - it's amazing they can replicate this song yet they destroy so many others; Keith's tunes are fantastic. They could have left Rocks Off, CYHMK and Whip off, especially with that awful editing in Rocks and Keith not knowing the bridge to Whip, which is astounding. The soul tunes - it's good to hear them get back to that side of their roots - and actually play them.

Shine A Light - eh, this album just shows the Mick is hoofing it through most of the shows on this tour. She Was Hot is almost monotone but it's still nice that something different is on a live album (or soundtrack, WTF ever). There's not much to mention on this album that's very good I think. I dig JJF, Shattered is much better here than on Stiff Life at least; Some Girls pretty good; Faraway Eyes is good. Champagne And Reefer - a glorious mess that shows us that Buddy Guy doesn't know what timing is ha ha! That's about it for that album. The rest of it is pretty bad. Keith's tunes are horrific.

It's easy to see why Ya-Ya's is the most highly respected and liked live album. I'm sure if they had done one from their shows in 1970, 72 and 73 there would be considerably more debate about this. There are quirks and funny reasons for liking the others but nothing will ever top Ya-Ya's for me.

And you want a true live album? Go get The Cult's Live At The Marquee. Audio verite, just like it says on the back cover.

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: January 7, 2009 17:42

Ya Ya's is the best. The only shortcoming is that is a single album, not a double like they would have liked to release that probably would have included tracks such as Satisfaction, Prodigal Son, and perhaps Under My Thumb/I'm Free medley. For that reason, I listen to the boot of the first NY show, some tracks recorded for YA YAs.

You posed a question of a compilation live album from those "officially released" live albums. Here is mine. I must say I weighed my list based upon the classic track's importance, as well as the performance. I leaned heavily on long ago performances, because, quite frankly, they were better then, although Shine A Light does have a few. I tried to keep it to 15 tracks, a single CD just like Ya Yas but thought that might leave off some cool cuts. So I added ten more for a top 25+1 for argument sake. Besides I don't have to deal with that evil Allan Klein like the Stones did in '70 when they couldn't add more key tracks to the live album or better yet, releas a live album from the '72 or '73 tours. Go ahead and debate and dispute my list if you'd like.

1. Midnight Rambler - Ya Yas
2. Sympathy For the Devil- Ya Yas
3. Street Fighting Man- Ya Yas
4. Jumpin' Jack Flash- Love You Live or Ya Yas
5. Shattered- Still Life
6. Paint It, Black - Live Licks
7. Around and Around- Love You Live
8. Like A Rolling Stone- Stripped
9. Respectable- No Security
10. Out of Control - No Security
11. All Down the Line- Shine A Light
12. Champagne and Reefer- Shine A Light
13. Live With Me- Ya Yas
14. Satisfaction- Flashpoint
15. Angie- Stripped
16. Start Me Up- Flashpoint
17. Love In Vain- Ya Yas
18. Little Queenie- Ya Yas
19. Happy- Love You Live
20. Just My Imagination- Shine A Light
21. When The Whip Comes Down- Sucking in the 70's
22. Gimme Shelter- No Security
23. She Was Hot- Shine A Light
24. You Can't Always Get What You Want- Love You Live
25. Fingerprint File- Love You Live
26. Honky Tonk Women- Ya Yas

No particular order for the most part, except my first five which I think are some of their best performances recorded live.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 7, 2009 17:48

Great choice doc,bought .Would you mind to add CYHMK as bonus ?

Date: January 7, 2009 19:55

That's the idea. Changes I would make:

1. Midnight Rambler - Ya Yas
2. Sympathy For the Devil- Ya Yas
3. Street Fighting Man- Ya Yas
4. Jumpin' Jack Flash- Ya Yas
5. Shattered- Shine A Light
6. Paint It, Black - Live Licks
7. Around and Around- Love You Live
8. Black Limousine- LARS single
9. Flip The Switch- No Security
10. Out of Control - No Security
11. All Down the Line- LARS single
12. Champagne and Reefer- Shine A Light
13. Live With Me- Ya Yas
14. Let It Rock - Rarities/Brown Sugar
15. Shine A Light- Stripped
16. Start Me Up- Flashpoint
17. Love In Vain- Ya Yas
18. Little Queenie- Ya Yas
19. You Don't Have To Mean It- Live Licks
20. Just My Imagination- Still Life
21. When The Whip Comes Down- Sucking in the 70's
22. Gimme Shelter- No Security
23. Thief In The Night - No Security
24. You Can't Always Get What You Want- Love You Live
25. Fingerprint File- Love You Live
26. Honky Tonk Women- Love You Live

I love those versions of Keith's tunes!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 7, 2009 19:56

It is funny so-incidence that their first and third live album GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! and STILL LIFE started and ended with the same songs. I always enjoyed comparing the versions of the 'young' and the 'mature' band. In fact, both of the opening songs ("Under My Thumb") capture - no matter how much of them are artificial - very wonderfully the hectic moment when The Stones roll in. The reaction of the audience and the introduction shouts fits so well and builds up the tension. Especially the majestic riff of STILL LIFE gets me still every time I listen to it. (In fact, in a new CD version of GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! the original production, including the excited introduction, is somehow ruined. One should get the original LP version to know what I talk about)

Unfortunately, both of the albums doesn't live up to expectations of the first songs, even the following songs "Get Off of My Cloud" (better than the original)/"Let's Spend The Night Together" (let's do @#$%& riff with guitars!) do rock indeed. "Time Is On My Side" is also in both albums - the version in STILL LIFE is one of the best Stones songs live. Wonderful vocals.

GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT! is ruined by its cheap tricks but it still has amount of natural energy any live album ever since can only cry for.

The problem of STILL LIFE is its 'monotonous', easily boring getting sound - the band starts to repeat itself, and Jagger's vocals might not stand the test of time. But still captures the times nicely.

And there is no a hint of bloody Vegas in either of them!

- Doxa

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: January 7, 2009 20:21

still ill
Ya-Yas

It's a shame we may never see an extended edition with all the songs that didn't make it on 1st time round

I agree - just think how great Satisfaction from MSG would be - there must be a proper recording of this track, which would be much better than the GS film version (which is already a great tune).

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 9, 2009 15:42

TeaAtThree
where can one get the Got Live EP these days?

It can be found in the first box of the Stones' CD Replicas of their Singles....

Date: January 9, 2009 15:50

That 69 tour version of Satisfaction was the best they've ever done it live. The rest of them all suck. Since they don't bother to actually play the song the way it is - lumbering, on the verge of falling apart and lazy and they don't play it anything like they did in 69 - with an air of inventiveness of giving it a new arrangement, etc...why bother?

The 69 version is way off the mark song wise in a good way but it's done so well - it's a new song. It's got a sass and raunch all in the same swaggering step. How they do it now, since 1981, it just sounds like a big snow blade scraping the road.

What the hell was my point? Oh yeah - it should have been included on the album.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 11, 2009 05:08

If you want to hear a great version of Love In Vain check out Handsome Girls from the '78 tour its really good!!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1605
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home