Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Open letter to BV and IORRians
Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: January 4, 2009 19:54

Referring to my yesterday post about fancying a reunion of the band at Hyde Park, same day, same setlist.... to make it shorter : an impossible dream, I've an alternative proposal which sounds to me more feasible.

As i wrote, 2009 is 40 years from 1969, a year marked by major and crucial events in the band history.

Is it hazardous to think about organizing a Rolling Stones Fans convention in London early July, in concomitance with the Hyde Park 1969 date?
The event could also foresee the involvement of major european tribute bands, and we could book a place in Richmond or wherever. Need the UK fans assistance for this, expecially for booking the place/places where we can play.

A program should be planned, with memorabilia exhibitions, maybe asking the tribute bands to focus their shows on the Satanic Tour setlist, we could organize visits to a number of Stones sites in UK, including a pilgrimage to Cheltenham. Few years ago we invited Anita in Italy and I guess I still have possibility to contact her. Of course, if we are able to contact somebody else (!!) to show his face....

Whatever.. it could be an occasion for all of us to make acquaintance or meet old friends. By my side I'm confident I can involve at least a 20 die-hard italian fans and some of them play in tribute bands as well.

Let's be frank: I prefer to seize the opportunity of the 40st adniversary 'cause I'm still in "acceptable" shape; can't grant my participation at the 50th!

Has IORR ever organized a IORRians meeting? I think it shoud do it!

Await comments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-04 19:55 by straycat58.

Re: Open letter to BV and IORRians
Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:10

I really like your suggestion!

On the other hand, I think it is too sentimental, too romantical....

I mean....Our Boys they don't know anything about History and so on....they just live day by day and they don't give a shit about our opinions, which is their right. How would you or I be in their situation?

Love your idea though!

Posted by: deepinder ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:27

Does this mean we can have Mighty Baby, King Crimson, Battered Ornaments and Screw as well?

I can arrange this bit.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:36

Some people here know Bernard Fowler and Blondie..maybe they could form the ultimate Rolling Stones tribute band. Lisa, Chuck...all the backing musicians...tour Europe a bit... 2000 people venues

Date: January 4, 2009 20:42

Tks for your immediate replies. Since we have 6 months to discuss the program, I suggest we should first of all confirm if we're positive towards this project and then make a calculation of how many we are.
Anyway, without the UK fans logistic support it'll be an hard task.

BTW: I went to see Tim Ries with Lisa and Bernard in London 2007; we were no more than 300. I expect a IORR reunion, if organized by BV and Gazza could gather 10 times more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-04 20:46 by straycat58.

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:42

I think its a great idea to have some sort of convention; but please stop calling it the "Satanic Tour", the 1969 US tour will suffice, not sure how many outsiders you'll bring in with this "Santanic tour" thing . . .

I don't beleive you will get any kind of response and/or help from the stones camp. They, well, Jagger doesn't like to wallow in the past, which is one of the things i always dislike about his perspective. Although as fans we are alot different than the rock star as we all know. But sometimes we may think thats its the wrong reason why some artists don't play particular pieces. For example, Eddie Vedder hasn't performed a song called Angel in 15 years, and most fans point out that it was co-written by the former drummer who Eddie had a falling out with; but the most simple reason is that it reminds him to much of his ex-wife; so there you have it, a very human and simple reason why some things don't get done.

Jagger for all we know could have some different feeling about different songs, different eras, different people, etc. Maybe he would rather not relive those crazy few weeks of June/July 1969 . . . and for that matter Dec of 1969

I know i have rambled . . .

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:43

I remember someone talking about doing something similar to your idea, straycat58, especially the B.J./Cheltenham part.

I can't remember if it was here or one of the other boards.

Posted by: keeffriffhard ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:46

Anyway, let's do something this year. Why not?

Great opportunity for new friendships

Date: January 4, 2009 20:54

NorthShore, sorry for the satanic and ok for the 69 US Tour.

I agree 100% with your comments which brings me more to the conclusion that I cannot wait Sir Mick comes to propose me a Through The Past excursion.
We, stonians, have to organize it ourselves. It will be also a good opportunity for the youngers to learn more about the events and the music of 40 years ago.
I know some tribute bands are even able to play note by note the 69 setlist!

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: January 4, 2009 21:54

very cool straycat58 . . . but why London?

Why not a convention type thing in say New York or San Francisco? Perhaps a local classic rock radio station would help out with the logistics, and also the tribute bands' connections. Through the fan club or other media outlets you could try to get vendors as you were saying before, perhaps a midnight screening of Gimme Shelter at a local theater or a matinee screening of Hyde Park . . .

pitch your idea to a classic rock station in a major market and see what happens. Not sure where you are, but I would think for 1969 purposes either New York or San fransisco would be appropriate.

Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: January 4, 2009 21:59

What was the setlist in Hyde Park?

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: January 4, 2009 22:09

NorthShoreBlues2
very cool straycat58 . . . but why London?

Why not a convention type thing in say New York or San Francisco? Perhaps a local classic rock radio station would help out with the logistics, and also the tribute bands' connections. Through the fan club or other media outlets you could try to get vendors as you were saying before, perhaps a midnight screening of Gimme Shelter at a local theater or a matinee screening of Hyde Park . . .

pitch your idea to a classic rock station in a major market and see what happens. Not sure where you are, but I would think for 1969 purposes either New York or San fransisco would be appropriate.

It has to be London as it's the 40th aneversary of the Hyde Park concert that it's celebrating but there is no reason that a concert in New York happens at the same time as in Live Aid.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 4, 2009 22:11

could we simulcast a third concert from rohnert park, california? i think i have some chores to do around the house that day, so it would really help me out alot if that could be arranged...

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: January 4, 2009 22:15

Niklas
What was the setlist in Hyde Park?

I'm Yours And I'm Hers
Jumping Jack Flash
Mercy Mercy
Down Home Girl
Stray Cat Blues
No Expectations
I'm Free
Loving Cup
Love In Vain
Satisfaction
Honky Tonk Women
Midnight Rambler
Street Fighting Man
Sympathy For The Devil

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Date: January 4, 2009 22:32

I suggested London for many reasons: one of them is that most of the IORRians are supposed to be Europeans and, as far as I know, the shidoobians have already organized their meetings, Iorrians not yet.
But the main reason is that many of us discovered the Stones at the time of Brian; he was our idol and for many of us July 69 is "the" date. I went to Cheltenham with few friends; I'd like to go there again with hundreds.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-04 22:44 by straycat58.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 4, 2009 23:36

I can certainly understand London being the Stones hometown a good reason for that but according to bvs data in an earlier post with Europe comprising 55% of the visits to the sight(with N America coming in at 35% and "everyone else" 10%) I believe "most IORRians are supposed to be European" is overstating it a little.
Although technically I guess you are in the majority!

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: January 5, 2009 00:31

I know Sam Cutler here in Oz (lives in same suburb), by his own admission he's short of cash. He said he would do a London convention thing mid year if he has air tix & accom covered. Gives him the chance to promote his book and make some money.

How about that for a positive start, he was at the very heart of the matter in 69, far more interesting than any half arsed tribute bands.......

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 5, 2009 00:35

No get all the IORR's ta come down here ta Aussie Land...
Lots more room and it's down hill all the way for 'em all.........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 5, 2009 00:41

Rockman
No get all the IORR's ta come down here ta Aussie Land...
Lots more room and it's down hill all the way for 'em all.........

Too cold in July! Let us enjoy our summer while we can. But you might want to thaw out a bit - come on up!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 5, 2009 01:25

keeffriffhard
I really like your suggestion!

On the other hand, I think it is too sentimental, too romantical....

I mean....Our Boys they don't know anything about History and so on....they just live day by day and they don't give a shit about our opinions, which is their right. How would you or I be in their situation?

Love your idea though!

I agree, I think WE are the sentimentalists ... THEY I don't think are. Great idea, and as a fan and of course a sentimentalist, I'm with you. But realistic ? Nope, not in the slightest I'm afraid.

Date: January 5, 2009 02:27

Scottkeef is right, we're almost at 50% geographically distributed but nothing impede to organize two events: Hyde Park day and Altamont day or whatever day belonging to the US Tour.

Despite the several suggestions and proposed locations for which we can discuss and find the best solutions, I understand that you agree in principle on the proposal.

I think at this point an intervention of Bjornulf, Gazza and the other senators of this forum is requested.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: January 5, 2009 02:43

straycat58
Scottkeef is right, we're almost at 50% geographically distributed but nothing impede to organize two events: Hyde Park day and Altamont day or whatever day belonging to the US Tour.

Despite the several suggestions and proposed locations for which we can discuss and find the best solutions, I understand that you agree in principle on the proposal.

I think at this point an intervention of Bjornulf, Gazza and the other senators of this forum is requested.

OK so we're now talking something along the lines of Live Aid ("Philadelphia, its Wembley calling, you hearing me OK..........."). Sounds pretty straightforward to me. How about a live tele hook up on the day? Thinking about it, why stop at 2 continents, what about Africa (Mandela a shoe in to host the live TV segment), China, Russia, Aus, South America???

All we need now is Phil Collins, Duran Duran a few dying, starving children and Bob Geldof to phone "our boys" so that they're in on the event.

Easy

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 5, 2009 04:00

Too cold in July! Let us enjoy our summer while we can. But you might want to thaw out a bit - come on up![/quote]

Gotta agree , as much as I'd like to see Australia , I'd prefer a warmer climate .

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 5, 2009 08:05

well, we do have someone on the board who has experience organizing cool stones conventions in london, but he does it to coincide with shows in town.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: January 5, 2009 08:22

great idea !

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: January 5, 2009 10:29

I had a hand in the Tim Ries gig at the Mean Fiddler in 2007 - underwrote some of the costs in return for some money for the charity it supported (and many many thanks to Tim R for suggesting this idea when we were chatting in Spain a few weeks before, and to all the "boys" from the band for playing).

It was reasonably tough selling the 250 tickets we did sell - partly because Tim was doing 2 gigs. However there were lots of non-UK fans in town, and those of us supporting the Charity got loads of friends along.

However I think that, with the right "band" we could fill a 300 people venue (like the 100 Club....).

I think the real "European" expert on this sort of event is the lady called Pauline in Amsterdam - Le Juf on this forum.

Certainly a band of Bernard, Blondie, Tim, Lisa, Darryl, Chuck should pull in a good crowd. But withut other gigs this side of the Atlantic the cost might be too high??

Posted by: phelge ()
Date: January 5, 2009 13:13

Great idea! I'd be up for it. If we can't raise anyone from the Stones camp then nevermind. Book a room, hire a band and charge everyone 10 quid or so, easy. Also, for all you non-UK types, the pound is so weak at the moment that you'll find nearly everything over here really, really cheap!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2009 14:50

straycat58
Tks for your immediate replies. Since we have 6 months to discuss the program, I suggest we should first of all confirm if we're positive towards this project and then make a calculation of how many we are.
Anyway, without the UK fans logistic support it'll be an hard task.

BTW: I went to see Tim Ries with Lisa and Bernard in London 2007; we were no more than 300. I expect a IORR reunion, if organized by BV and Gazza could gather 10 times more.

Thanks, but this isnt my board and its not my place to organise anything. Whilst I suggested and arranged the Pilot Inn as a meeting place for the 02 shows 18 months ago, that was done for all the Stones boards, including my own.

Plus, I live 400 miles from London and a 75 minute flight away!

It's a nice concept - although how many people would want to do it at the minute with the way the world economy is another matter. Personally, I'd be more inclined to be interested if there were Stones shows to go to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-05 14:53 by Gazza.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 5, 2009 20:28

Geographically as well as travel wise the center for Stones fans in Europe is Frankfurt. Emotionally the center is London. Business wise it is New York City. Many fans are saving up their money for spending on a future tour. I think it is wise to arrange such an event around a set of one or more shows happing with the Stones at the same place, i.e. in one of these three cities.

Bjornulf

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 5, 2009 20:35

the oenological/viticultural center for stones fans is in rohnert park, california...

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2328
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home