Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: If it is the last tour, what should the stones do for their fans
Posted by: steffiestones ()
Date: January 4, 2009 15:09

alimente
steffiestones
alimente
"DONT ASK WHAT THE STONES CAN DO FOR YOU - ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR THE STONES!"

We did enough for them, buy their albums, buy expencive tickets, going miles for see them live, WE MAKE THEM RICH !!winking smiley

I know, Steffie, I know!

Of course my quote was not meant all too serious. If anything, I wanted to express my own feeling that at this stage, it requires a certain kind of "Stones-patriotism" to go and see them again, in particular when next time around, ticket prices will be even higher, shows even shorter, performance even sloppier and setlists even stiffer and more unimginative than already during ABB.

I think so too ! The last tour is making the last time big money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 4, 2009 15:20

skipstone
Demand a new calendar and a website that doesn't suck, that's what you can do for the Stones.

...do some nice shots for the calendars 2011 - 2020

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 4, 2009 15:45

Great posts by Doxa and Gazza. Both are spot onsmiling smiley

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 4, 2009 16:24

They should be themselves. Simple as that. And for the record, it is not the last tour, it's the next tour.

Bjornulf

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 4, 2009 17:13

What I would like to see is Keith returning to form and playing the way he used to play. One thing that I have noticed since 81' is that they don't work the songs like they used to. I remember in Hartford Let Me Go was bombing and Keith worked his ass off and it was one of the highlights of the show. I would personally like to see a new album and have them work the songs in the concerts. Just because people aren't cheering like they do for the warhorses don't just drop it. They do have to sprinkle some of the familiar songs in but don't do them all at the end in a row and stop neglecting 63-67 material.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 4, 2009 17:19

For some people Keith just being able to play is enough. I dunno about that anymore. Not for the high cost of a ticket at least. But that's just me.

You are right though - if a tune doesn't get a good enough response, they seem to drop them. Why not take that slight and turn it into inspiration? I'm guessing because they've already been paid so why bother when everyone is already there?

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 4, 2009 19:35

Unless they truly do a 180 and surprise me, most likely the Stones will play the money-making same big arenas and/or stadiums with the additional back-ups, along with the obligatory warhorses... If that is the case, my ONLY request (along with opening up the vaults before I'm too old to appreciate it and/or dead) is play every show like it's your LAST show (your competitor Springsteen does it), and not just go through the motions....

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: January 4, 2009 19:45

Sighunt
(your competitor Springsteen does it),

i didn't realize rocknroll was a competitive sport

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 4, 2009 19:56

please just dig into the catalog a bit thats all i ask if nothing else, i mean cmon they keep putting on this big spectacle evry tour as just another way to dress up the warhorses, didnt they notice the half empty stadiums on the bang tour?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:16

melillo
please just dig into the catalog a bit thats all i ask if nothing else, i mean cmon they keep putting on this big spectacle evry tour as just another way to dress up the warhorses, didnt they notice the half empty stadiums on the bang tour?

that had also to do with the high ticket prices. 95% of the people who went to a ABB gig don't know that it has been the same show for over 20 years now

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-04 20:18 by Harm.

Date: January 4, 2009 20:36

based on what , where did you get that figure?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 4, 2009 20:41

melillo
based on what , where did you get that figure?
I'm guessing... I just think that most people don't even know if there is a Rolling Stones tour or not right now

Date: January 4, 2009 20:55

agreed that the ridiculous ticket prices had alot to do with it, even i cut down from my usual 6 shows down to 2, i just cant do it anymore at these sick prices, but i also think the same thing over and over is starting to get to consumers also

Posted by: atip ()
Date: January 5, 2009 02:43

I'm all for changing up the B-stage set list, but the B-stage is a great opp to get close when you don't have tix anywhere near the front. If I'm towards the back, I'll take whatever they play from there.

I say they should prepare and play like their lives depend on it. That mainly means Ronnie has to keep his head out of a bottle and show up every night. Keith needs to give 100%, too.
Go deeper into the catalogue.
Reasonable ticket prices.

I like the big production.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: January 5, 2009 02:47

Gazza
same as what they should do/should have done on every previous tour

- Transparent and fair ticketing arrangements
- Sensible ticket prices
- To play what songs they want to play, and not pander or whore themselves to the sections of their audiences who couldnt care less about discovering more than about 10 songs from their back catalogue. Rely less on 'rock anthems' - there's a great musical diversity there
- Play the type and size of venues where the emphasis is more on the 'music' than the 'spectacle'
- Dont bullshit people with comments about how your new songs are made to be played live if you have no intentions of playing them.
- Ditch the b-stage. If its going to be used for nothing more than a greatest hits set, then its become pointless.
- Have some originality when it comes to what's played in the final third/half of the show.
- Have Cohl publicly flogged at every show for crimes against rock 'n' roll.

in other words they should APOLOGISE for the rip offs of the last 20 yrs

Date: January 5, 2009 12:42

a concert without the songs of the past 20 years would be great!

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: January 5, 2009 12:54

steffiestones

The last time they did that was at the beacon ,nov 2006,the results
have been well documented.

They received some mixed emotions concerning this ( not only but mainly because of other reasons ).

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 5, 2009 14:22

steffiestones

A concert with songs of the past 20 years would be great!

Date: January 5, 2009 19:23

If you want to see a band that doesn't do songs from the recent 20 years go see the Beach Boys.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 5, 2009 19:34

Fire Michael Cohl.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 5, 2009 19:42

Play a free concert at Altamont!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: January 5, 2009 19:47

What should they do if the next tour will be the last? Entertain the audience. That's all I've ever expected from any form of entertainment. I don't walk in to a concert hall expecting hand jobs from women as I pay my money and walk through the turnstile (although, that would be quite entertaining).

We are all hard core followers of this band. People that can reflect back on nearly fifty years of music and live events.

The Rolling Stones are at this point legendary with new fans being turned on to them every day. Where some of us complain about the members playing abilities or set lists, the casual fan and new comers will see the greatest Rock N Roll band ever.

I go to see live music to be entertained, a less than stellar technical execution of a song, or a flash pot igniting at the wrong time are not going to stop me from enjoying myself.

For those that can only say negative things about the band I must ask, why do you even bother to listen, go to the concerts or comment about something you no longer enjoy?

CBII

Date: January 5, 2009 19:55

CBII
For those that can only say negative things about the band I must ask, why do you even bother to listen, go to the concerts or comment about something you no longer enjoy?

i think many of us don't listen to much or any of the recent output from the band...but there's still plenty to discuss from eras when we did like what they produced. and what's wrong with talking about what we like and don't like? we are music fans and "wannabe critics," not stones cheerleaders....

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 5, 2009 20:03

Lots of good ideas.

Playing venues which emphasize the music rather that the 'spectacle' is a great place to start. This would naturally facilitate the set list surprises we all desire. Theater shows would take it a step farther too.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 5, 2009 20:08

CBII
What should they do if the next tour will be the last? Entertain the audience. That's all I've ever expected from any form of entertainment. I don't walk in to a concert hall expecting hand jobs from women as I pay my money and walk through the turnstile (although, that would be quite entertaining).

We are all hard core followers of this band. People that can reflect back on nearly fifty years of music and live events.

The Rolling Stones are at this point legendary with new fans being turned on to them every day. Where some of us complain about the members playing abilities or set lists, the casual fan and new comers will see the greatest Rock N Roll band ever.

I go to see live music to be entertained, a less than stellar technical execution of a song, or a flash pot igniting at the wrong time are not going to stop me from enjoying myself.

A lot of good points, Charles, but I dont see too many 'new fans' at Stones concerts.

Their ticket prices aren't exactly conducive to attracting people (especially younger people) who have never seen them before.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 5, 2009 20:44

I agree with Gazza, my younger friends love Stones tunes, when they catch a bit of live footage they think they're awesome. Unfortunatley they won't got to see them because tickets are too pricey to go see a band for the first time!

Date: January 5, 2009 20:47

Micky1
I agree with Gazza, my younger friends love Stones tunes, when they catch a bit of live footage they think they're awesome. Unfortunatley they won't got to see them because tickets are too pricey to go see a band for the first time!

or even a 34th time

Date: January 5, 2009 21:01

The reason we - some or a lot of us - go on about the condition of certain band members and the set lists - imagine someone going to see the Stones for the first time with all this advance hype going on in their mind - "Going to see 'The Greatest Rock'N'Roll Band In The World'!" and then there's Keith doinking the same three notes, 'singing' like he did on Connection and Little T&A, Mick singing like he's got a clothes pin on his nose and not bothering to hit the notes, Ronnie just half-assing it through solos...for how expensive of a ticket? You think they're going to have a good opinion of the band that they see now if they know nothing of the band from the early 1970s, 1989/90 and 1997-99 when they sounded pretty good? Or are they going to think 'Wow, a lot of dumb people paid all this money for THIS'? Or something in that area.

That's a very possible reality. NOW. Hell, since 2006. Post "coconut". Hell, from what some people say before the so-called Coconut Incident.

I don't think there is anything wrong with having some kind of expectation to get your money's worth of The Rolling Stones - and someone who does go see them for the first time should get the same thing.

And damn right fans can criticise their favourite band. If they had only been around for 10 years it would be one thing but they've been around for a lonnnng time and it's a very different kind of ragged band now - they aren't strung out on dope, etc... it really has become the 'should they hang it up' question now. Some people don't feel that way. Some do. Some wonder it. There is nothing wrong with that.

Some people hope they can sound like they did in 1972/73. Some don't have any hope for them to even sound as good as 2005-07. It's all different. Everyone is different. But reality is reality and that is truth. Anyone that saw the Bang shows or is watching The Biggest Bang can see - and hear - that, overdubs or not.

Date: January 5, 2009 21:30

If you see the voodoo lounge tour, the BTB tour, the forty licks tour, the BB tour, it's all the same. The only differents is the stage. Why don't they play songs as:
we love you
factory girl
waiting on a friend
i got the blues
no expectation
19th Nervous Breakdown
Harlem Shuffle
She's a Rainbow
Under My Thumb
Mother's Little Helper
Undercover of the Night
I'm Free
Beast of Burden
Neighbours
Mannish Boy
Emotional Rescue
She's So Cold
Far Away Eyes
Fool To Cry
Silver Train
Sister Morphine
you gotta move................

Hot stuff enough....

Date: January 5, 2009 21:38

Um. Well let's see:

we love you - they'll never play this!
factory girl - they did this in 1990
waiting on a friend - played this during the Bridges tour
i got the blues - they'll never do this!
no expectation - they did this during Licks
19th Nervous Breakdown - they did this on the Bang tour right?
Harlem Shuffle - 1989-90 tours
She's a Rainbow - played this during Voodoo, other tours?
Under My Thumb - played this on the Bang tour
Mother's Little Helper - oh god lets hope not ever
Undercover of the Night - played this too many times too long too much
I'm Free - ugh, they played this awful song when, 1995 or something
Beast of Burden - played this during the Voodoo tour, Licks?
Neighbours - played this during Licks
Mannish Boy - no comment
Emotional Rescue - ha ha! They'll never do this one either!
She's So Cold - played this on Bang
Far Away Eyes - played this on Bang
Fool To Cry - dunno, thought they played this one over a couple tours sometimes
Silver Train - now THIS would be GREAT, if they don't kill it like Sway
Sister Morphine - played this on the NS/Bridges tour
you gotta move - well, it's on a live album at least

How bout some tunes they've never done that seem reasonable?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1449
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home