Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Last days of stadium rock as we know it?
Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 21, 2008 21:05

Not yet.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 21, 2008 21:11

skipstone
But do Oasis play in and sell out every stadium in Europe? In the UK? Scandinavia? Wherever? They aren't in that league.

In the UK? Er - yes. Easily. Some 650,000 people will see them in stadiums in the UK and Ireland this summer...and thats just a few months after theyve done an arena tour. That equates to well over 3 million tickets in the US.

The Stones dont 'play in and sell out every stadium in Europe' anymore either.... or even in America for that matter.

Cant see what the fuss is all about because Oasis can't be arsed about the US or because Americans dont 'get' them. Europe is a bigger market population wise now anyway. One country isnt the be-all and end-all of musical taste.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-21 21:26 by Gazza.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 21, 2008 21:25

Gazza
One country isnt the be-all and end-all of musical taste.

you can make it in tunisia, you can make it anywhere. it ain't called tunisia for nothing.....

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 21, 2008 22:37

As we know it? Yes, the current talent pool will eventually stop touring and or the fan base will dwindle to the point Stadiums will no longer be an option. However, there are artists that have not gained prominence yet to take the old guards place.

Filling stadiums will happen as long as the entertainment hungry want live music. There will be artists that will fill the need for stadiums.

CBII

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-22 03:43 by CBII.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 22, 2008 01:56

Gazza
skipstone
But do Oasis play in and sell out every stadium in Europe? In the UK? Scandinavia? Wherever? They aren't in that league.

In the UK? Er - yes. Easily. Some 650,000 people will see them in stadiums in the UK and Ireland this summer...and thats just a few months after theyve done an arena tour. That equates to well over 3 million tickets in the US.

The Stones dont 'play in and sell out every stadium in Europe' anymore either.... or even in America for that matter.

Cant see what the fuss is all about because Oasis can't be arsed about the US or because Americans dont 'get' them. Europe is a bigger market population wise now anyway. One country isnt the be-all and end-all of musical taste.

Some bands even in the US were big on one coast and not on the other. There was a time that Blue Oyster Cult could sell out arenas on the east coast (so I've been told) While lucky to get an amusement park crowd to watch their show on the west coast.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: December 22, 2008 02:04

I know that me and one other guy are the only people who admit to liking Green Day on this board, but They can sell stadiums on both sides of the pond. At least they did the last tour, so I guess it depends on their next CD.
...and to you Oasis lovers, I won't say anything like Green Day is a far more viable band than Oasis because I don't want to start a verbal fight (even though it is true).

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 22, 2008 03:16

BluzDude
There was a time that Blue Oyster Cult could sell out arenas on the east coast (so I've been told) .

and on the west coast...was at one. pat travers and roadmaster opened.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 22, 2008 07:10

i love green day

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 22, 2008 07:23

For those in the USA, ask yourself why Live Nation has shut down a few of their large outdoor owned ampitheaters? Only a handful of acts can sellout and a couple of those acts walk away leaving little to no local profit due to their 100% + gate guarantees.

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: December 22, 2008 12:40

My experience from the Finnish point of view is that the trend is not descending.. Metallica is superpopular round here, so is AC/DC for that matter.

Here´s the list of Helsinki Olympic stadium gigs, some 40-50 000 spectators each, almost all of them sold out: (the first in this list was for some 5000, anyway a historical gig for Finland, and for Stones, some could argue it was their first stadium gig)

* Rolling Stones 2.9.1970
* Dire Straits 4.8.1992
* Rolling Stones 6.6.1995
* Bon Jovi 19.7.1996
* Tina Turner 7.8.1996
* U2 9.8.1997
* Michael Jackson 24. ja 26.8.1997
* Elton John 25.6.1998
* Rolling Stones 5.8.1998
* Mestarit 5.8.1999
* AC/DC 26.6.2001
* Bruce Springsteen 16. ja 17.6.2003
* Rolling Stones 16.7.2003
* Metallica 28.5.2004
* Paul McCartney 17.6.2004
* Genesis 11.6.2007
* Metallica 15.7.2007
* Rolling Stones 1.8.2007
* Bon Jovi 16.6.2008
* Bruce Springsteen 11.7.2008
* Iron Maiden 18.7.2008
* AC/DC 17.6.2009

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: December 22, 2008 12:44

thankfully, Stadium rock is in it's death throes.

Long live, live music in pubs and clubs.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 22, 2008 13:14

Most bands and musicians that sell out stadiums at this day and age are artists that have
been around for so long that they attract a lot of occasional visitors who would like to say
they were there to see the band. Let's face it, if the Stones had not risen to legendary status,
I doubt they would still be selling stadiums to the original fanbase alone. Same goes for
AC/DC, Springsteen and others mentioned in this thread. They are legends and even if you
know only 1 out of every 50 songs they wrote, you wouldn't mind to be awed by their stadium show.

Maybe there are two reasons why so few "younger" bands have reached the legendary status
that might help them sell stadiums. Maybe the first reason is that it has become harder to get
attention as a new band than in the 60s and 70s. In the 80s and 90s we'd seen it all.
Nothing new could beat what we'd allready seen and heard in the 60s and 70s.
Second reason might be that not many bands manage to live on for more than 20 years.
I think bands that manage to stick around long enough to reach more than one generation of fans,
more or less automatically gain the status that will help them sell more than 40.000 tickets
per show.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 22, 2008 15:49

wesley
My experience from the Finnish point of view is that the trend is not descending.. Metallica is superpopular round here, so is AC/DC for that matter.

Here´s the list of Helsinki Olympic stadium gigs, some 40-50 000 spectators each, almost all of them sold out: (the first in this list was for some 5000, anyway a historical gig for Finland, and for Stones, some could argue it was their first stadium gig)

* Rolling Stones 2.9.1970
* Dire Straits 4.8.1992
* Rolling Stones 6.6.1995
* Bon Jovi 19.7.1996
* Tina Turner 7.8.1996
* U2 9.8.1997
* Michael Jackson 24. ja 26.8.1997
* Elton John 25.6.1998
* Rolling Stones 5.8.1998
* Mestarit 5.8.1999
* AC/DC 26.6.2001
* Bruce Springsteen 16. ja 17.6.2003
* Rolling Stones 16.7.2003
* Metallica 28.5.2004
* Paul McCartney 17.6.2004
* Genesis 11.6.2007
* Metallica 15.7.2007
* Rolling Stones 1.8.2007
* Bon Jovi 16.6.2008
* Bruce Springsteen 11.7.2008
* Iron Maiden 18.7.2008
* AC/DC 17.6.2009

Your missing my point. Those bands with maybe one or two exceptions are soon gone, and there are no bands of today that are big enough to fill their shoes. Saying that the trend is not descending is very contradictory, since all those shows you list, except for one is in the past, and how many on that list do you think you´ll see again in Helsinki Olympic Stadium?

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 22, 2008 17:43

Bands that tour those giant stadiums tour after tour - that's the point, at least how I took it. The Stones have been doing stadiums in the US on a fairly constant basis since 1978. I know they did some before then and hockey arena shows since then but overall they do their tours in the big bowls, as well as all over Europe etc in the football stadiums there but to a lesser extent career wise.

So, as pointed out, Oasis is playing stadiums or whatever for this tour. My point was, are they at the level of the Stones? Selling out every show isn't the point - it's the fact that so many people do show up is the point of the big stadium show - tour after tour. AC/DC have only been stadium size since what, 1990? I know they have done a lot of stadium shows, as this Black Ice tour is showing. U2 can still fill stadiums but have smartly gone for arenas.

Now that Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are never going to get back together, thankfully, stadium shows are going to start fading away in the next decade PROBABLY. At least in terms of being a steady venue for bands. I can't see U2 going much longer, meaning another 5 or 6 years possibly; it seems that this might be the last go round for AC/DC; the Stones are a mystery but it seems like they will do one more big tour; Metallica, according to Lars, might be getting close to the end of their road. Those are the bands that have been around the longest with the biggest followings. World wide. I don't think Widespread Panic or Pearl Jam or Oasis fit in that category. I know Oasis played to 9000 people the show before Noel got the bums rush. So their statement of being like the Stones is obviously aimed more at longevity than ticket sales.

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: December 22, 2008 19:25

There are today just a few bands/artists that can fill a stadiums anywhere in the world.

Rolling Stones
U2
Madonna (though her tours are shorter)
Bruce Springsteen (Not sure how big he is in south america/australia and Asia)
AC/DC

Did I miss anyone?

After these few there are the longer list with bands/artists that are stadium acts in selected part of the world and more of an "arena band" in the rest of the world.

Metallica.
Probably the band closest to be added in the above list.

Bon Jovi.
Still huge in some parts of the world.

Iron Maiden.
Huge in Scandinavia and South america. Getting bigger and bigger again in the US and Australia.

Depeche Mode.
Are doing 30 stadium gigs in Europe next summer where they are huge, but success are beginning to decline in the US since the 90´s. Could maybe do one off stadium show in southern California where they still are massive, but that´s it. Massive in South america.

Coldplay
Doing about 15 stadium gigs in Europe next summer. Could be the next full scale stadium band. Let see if they can keep it up.

Green Day
Have done stadium/openair gigs in both the US and the UK lately. But I believe they are not anywhere near a stadium band in other parts of the world.

Oasis
Huuuuuge in the UK but that´s it. Outside that island they are just another band from the 90´s. Still pulling good crowds though.

Foo Fighters
Have done UK stadium gigs but not sure how big they are elsewhere. I only know they are not that big in sweden where I live.

Muse
Massive in UK but I believe that´s it.

Red Hot Chili Peppers.
Have done stadium shows around europe for years but I believe never with a fullscale tour.

Robbie Williams
The european tour he did summer 2005 is one of the biggest ever made. Still he is practicly unknown in the US.

I'm sure I can add more bands/artists to the list. It feels that many of the younger bands are close to be a full stadium act, but still have a long way to go before getting there. Maybe when most of the old dinousaurs will retire they will get a chance. grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home