Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Last days of stadium rock as we know it?
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:05

ok - well the spectacle is just that - to me it's got nothing to do with why i go see and act - for the music. period. so good riddance if the stadium shows are dying. and there are plenty of curent blues-based acts playing at the top of their respective games...only in venues where you can actually hear and experience the music the way it's meant to be....

Posted by: rob ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:27

rob
Stadiums are gone at least for me.......
Have seen the stones since -82
My friend had ticket to ALL Paris And ALL Stockholms
concerts in 2003 he only went to Cirkus and Olympia and Globe in Sthlm.....
I was at all of them....

Gonna see AC/DC this summer with El P
only because it's a BIG summer party that weekend !

I think NOT are in my vocalaborary (sp.?)

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:28

Why do so many of you write off U2, theyre one of the best bands going. period.

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:34

Barn Owl says:

Stadium Rock = Lowest Common Denominator Drudge.

...music for the masses; easy money; safe setlists; "how's everyone on the right side?"; overblown waste-of-(our)-money stage sets; mexican waves; fireworks; being treated like cattle; not being able to have a drink; not being able to go for a piss; "how's everyone at the back?"; the toilets; the lack of toilets; the traffic; the food; the confiscation of drinks and food; the confiscation of drugs; being arrested for drugs; european weather (most of the time); "how's everyone on the left side?"; the endless queues; the pathetic warm-up acts; the dreadful music played on the PA system chesen by some acne-ridden 18 year-old; "how's everyone on the floor?"; the terrible f**king sound.

Death to Stadium Rock and all those money-men who created it.

Posted by: aerostone ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:36

Aerosmith will without a doubt be the most viable stadium outlet of the next 10 or so years... there's a massive tour and album in the works, and you can bet they'll be rocking stadiums worldwide

Date: December 19, 2008 23:39

So anybody seen the London Blues Festival
way back in 1983 !!?

Where JL Hooker said "-This is to the very late Muddy W " ?
Looking for Pics. and any info I can get !

It was very cool, Muddy died earlier that year, went with a school class....
Much younger than me...but...then there was a guy who was a little bit older
Totally agreement that we was to go to London Blues Festival at Hammersmith , lika an arena.....more like a theatre arena....

AT the end , the stage was prepared , with only a bar stool, microphone and a speaker and.......there comes John Lee Hooker
The first he said was
"-This is to the very late Muddy Waters "
The rest of his playing I cant rembember but It was just great

Date: December 19, 2008 23:42

Barn Owl
Barn Owl says:

...music for the masses; easy money; safe setlists; "how's everyone on the right side?"; overblown waste-of-(our)-money stage sets; mexican waves; fireworks; being treated like cattle; not being able to have a drink; not being able to go for a piss; "how's everyone at the back?"; the toilets; the lack of toilets; the traffic; the food; the confiscation of drinks and food; the confiscation of drugs; being arrested for drugs; european weather (most of the time); "how's everyone on the left side?"; the endless queues; the pathetic warm-up acts; the dreadful music played on the PA system chesen by some acne-ridden 18 year-old; "how's everyone on the floor?"; the terrible f**king sound.

Where? Out in the desert USA ?
They Know They Will NOT sell Ot Stadium i Europe ......

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:02

clarkemf
I think it's a little incorrect to say we will lose stadium rock when we no longer have ACDC and Stones concerts...

Packing stadiums for another 10+ years will be guys such as Aerosmith, Springsteen, U2, Mellencamp, etc..

For the 20+ stadium packing mark, just look to bands like Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Pearl Jam

sure its a bit different and they may not fit YOUR tastes, these bands are phenomenal, and while i'll be rocking out at the shows, you can be the one crying in your beer cause you don't like DMB

clarke you had to throw in the DMB dagger, lol. I agree there will be other bands that take up the slack, but the whole scene has changed. Young people and older folks are so diversified in music these days. i mean when the stones came around circa 1975 every high school kid and college student in the areas was tuned in and ready to go . . . these days are different, there seems less fans of stadium type rock'n'roll in the younger ranks. Ticket prices also come into play . . .

Also, some bands don't do stadiums, period. I know for a fact that Pearl Jam has only done a handful of stadium shows in 1995, at the height of their popularity, excluding the numerous festivals they have played since.

But these type bands, or at least the post-punk/grunge bands come from a scene with alot of rules and a code that they tried to abide by. Those Seattle bands were not only "pc" sensitive, anti-misogony, but also all about not selling out. To the whole underground grunge scene, playing stadiums was a form of selling-out. Those "rules" seemed to haunt Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder and one killed himself and the other barely made it and held his band together for 18 years.

But I for one, say good riddence to stadium rock, it sucks . . . i'm all set with the blow up dolls, the fire from the towers, the bridge to nowhere, the cobra!! . . .

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:03

Barn Owl
Barn Owl says:

RIGHT ON BRO!!!!!!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:24

mickijaggeroo
clarkemf
no your wrong

Really, how? Your comment is no good.....without some arguments..

LOL, I got your quote, clarkemf, good thing to leave the second part out ;-)

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 20, 2008 02:33

and that is why Live Nation is a useless stock and why U2 cashed out early.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 20, 2008 16:11

ROLLINGSTONE
mickijaggeroo
Exactly what I mean, I can´t see any of the young bucks filling the void that will be when our "classic" bands are gone. Primal Scream or Kings Of Leon are not exactly the hottest acts right now, and they have been around for a good while now. So the future for stadium fillers as we know them, is soon over I think.

Right on. In fact when the last of our favourites call it a day let's bulldoze the stadiums! grinning smiley

But then where will all the stars of country music play?

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 20, 2008 16:31

What about Metallica? They are very popular in Europe too. They are not that old.
Mops

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 20, 2008 17:09

the foo fighters are great stadium rock act

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 20, 2008 18:11

Hey may be it is a good thing. I remember in the late 70's "stadium Rock" concerts draw controversy. Lots of people at the time didn't think it was a good idea. Since then the technology has improved(sound system and stage) but it is still not as good as a small club or and arena(MSG).
It is exciting to realize that a band can bring huge # of people together but the quality of the musical experience suffers; in that sense stadium rock concerts are rip-offs(unless you can afford the front row seats).
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: deuce ()
Date: December 20, 2008 18:36

Foo Fighters sold out two nights at Wembley Stadium this past summer. 2 years ago they headlined and sold out Hyde Park (Not a stadium, but still a lot of people).

Green Day played two sold out nights at Milton Keynes Bowl a few years ago.

Point is, as stated in another post, whether you like the bands or not, they ARE out there.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 20, 2008 20:32

mickijagger, why not seek out new music in the bars and clubs in your area? It may take some adjustment not to see fireworks, blow-up dolls, etc., but I guarantee you will find more music for the money in a smaller environment.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: December 20, 2008 21:11

The opposite of stadium shows:

[www.woodhouseconcerts.com]

Date: December 20, 2008 21:41

loog droog
The opposite of stadium shows:

[www.woodhouseconcerts.com]

...now THAT'S more like it!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: December 20, 2008 22:39

loog droog
http://www.woodhouseconcerts.com/

Reminds me of this place: [www.preservationhall.com]

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 20, 2008 23:26

deuce
Foo Fighters sold out two nights at Wembley Stadium this past summer. 2 years ago they headlined and sold out Hyde Park (Not a stadium, but still a lot of people).

Green Day played two sold out nights at Milton Keynes Bowl a few years ago.

Point is, as stated in another post, whether you like the bands or not, they ARE out there.

Maybe I´m not clear enough what i´m talking about. It´s not about bands who may sell out a stadium on occasion, but BANDS that fill out stadiums on a worldwide basis. That´s what I´m gonna miss, bands that are that big. And I can´t see any bands on the market today, that have that kind of following that your Stones, Zeps, AC/DC:s etc etc have/had.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: December 21, 2008 04:07

that depends on what age you are i think.

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 21, 2008 08:40

T&A
no more stadium shows? good riddance. nice spectacle, but for me it's always been about the music...and big venues are lousy conduit for good music. gimme a nice, intimate jazz club anyday....yeah, i'm getting old, but i'm getting wise, too....

Old,yes-----Wise???????

Date: December 21, 2008 10:03

the concert business is as healthy as ever.... people no longer buy as much music product (cds, etc) but they will plunk down unbelievable cash for concert tickets...

i just came back from oasis in virginia (tour closer)... they drew very well

thing with stadiums is that people no longer want to see bands in such crummy venues..stadiums SUCK!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-21 10:16 by stoned in washington dc.

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 21, 2008 10:39

I agree with mickijaggeroo.

Though there some acts like Springsteen and even U2 if not for their
ability to fill stadiums just like our beloved Stones.

The worry I see, can the Stones make one more effort and do a 1 ½ year
tour and still fix it. Will they be able to lift themselves into sky high
delight and deliver.

These are troublesome times I think because a legacy is about to near the
finishline. Hopefullly they all are up for it and deliver one more time (at least).

It would be great to celebrate "50 Licks" 2012.

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 21, 2008 18:05

Bruce Springsteen.
The Rolling Stones.
U2.
AC/DC.

Those are the four current acts that can sell out US stadiums year in year out. Multiple nights even.

There are other acts that do the occasional stadium show but that is purely a regional situation. For example, Jimmy Buffett sold out Gillette - it was his only show in that area of that tour or something. So he put as many people as possible into one show (it may have been 2 shows). That makes sense. Compared to doing 4 or 6 nights in a smaller venue etc...Dave Matthews does the same thing here and there. As does Bon Jovi. Although how those last two buffoons can sell out anything is amazing to me.

Ha ha ha ha. Oasis will never make it. Not in the States - hardly anyone gives a shit about them - not like they are worth giving a shit about. Anyone with a brain knows that. They might think (and say) they are going to be like the Stones but then people have to give a shit for that to come true yet alone believe those geezers. Which means go to their shows for the next 40 years. And that just ain't gonna happen.

It, the stadium event for concerts, is coming to an end. It won't be long now until the Stones (and that's IF they bother to do anything again), U2 and AC/DC are done doing those big shows/tours. Bruce will be the only one left until he says he's had enough.

And that's it.

Date: December 21, 2008 19:10

skipstone
Bruce Springsteen.
The Rolling Stones.
U2.
AC/DC.

Those are the four current acts that can sell out US stadiums year in year out. Multiple nights even.

There are other acts that do the occasional stadium show but that is purely a regional situation. For example, Jimmy Buffett sold out Gillette - it was his only show in that area of that tour or something. So he put as many people as possible into one show (it may have been 2 shows). That makes sense. Compared to doing 4 or 6 nights in a smaller venue etc...Dave Matthews does the same thing here and there. As does Bon Jovi. Although how those last two buffoons can sell out anything is amazing to me.

Ha ha ha ha. Oasis will never make it. Not in the States - hardly anyone gives a shit about them - not like they are worth giving a shit about. Anyone with a brain knows that. They might think (and say) they are going to be like the Stones but then people have to give a shit for that to come true yet alone believe those geezers. Which means go to their shows for the next 40 years. And that just ain't gonna happen.

It, the stadium event for concerts, is coming to an end. It won't be long now until the Stones (and that's IF they bother to do anything again), U2 and AC/DC are done doing those big shows/tours. Bruce will be the only one left until he says he's had enough.

And that's it.

Well thanks for clearing that up Mac..glad you're around to tell us how it IS!

Date: December 21, 2008 20:12

HA HA! Hey, if you can't laugh, what's the point!? It's all funny.

Date: December 21, 2008 20:20

skipstone
Bruce Springsteen.
The Rolling Stones.
U2.
AC/DC.

And that's it.

Here in the UK, where we DO give a shit about music, Oasis shifted half a million stadium tickets in about an hour.

...get back to MTV and your Britney videos.

Date: December 21, 2008 20:57

But do Oasis play in and sell out every stadium in Europe? In the UK? Scandinavia? Wherever? They aren't in that league.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1005
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home