Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Last days of stadium rock as we know it?
Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 19, 2008 20:41

Having a few cold ones as a start of the the x-mas vacation, been watching a few DVD:s of my favorites, Stones, ACDC, Purple, Springsteen etc, and it hits me, there are no contenders to the throne of the live circuit once these bands are gone.
Some of them threw the towel in years ago, like the mighty Zep, Lizzy etc for various reasons.
And being realistic, the end of the rest is within a few years.
Of course this is not news to any of you, but I feel I´m going to loose a big part of whats fun in life, waiting for my favorite bands to hit my town, and letting my hair down and just turn 18 again. You all know the feeling.
Maybe it´s just a case of me crying in my beer, and being nostalgic, but I think there´s some truth to it. And no, U2 are not a rock band in my book, even if they might have some mileage left in them. So, what´s up for the future?
I don´t see any newer bands on the horizon picking up where the above mentioned left...
Luckily I got tix for ACDC next year, but I think that´s the last we´ll see of them,live.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 20:50 by mickijaggeroo.

Re: Last days of rock as we know it?
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:07

No, there are a lot of great live rock acts out there. In the past month I've saw Primal Scream and Kings of Leon (neither of which I'm a huge fan) but they both blew the roof of their respective sold-out venues and their audiences adored them. But I think I know what you're getting at mickijaggeroo and I'd totally agree that it's doubtful any of the modern acts will have the longevity of the classic Rock age artists.

Re: Last days of stadium rock as we know it?
Posted by: rob ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:15

Couldn't agree more El P ;-)
I have yet to see Dylan......
Whatever he means to me = nothing......

Date: December 19, 2008 21:16

Exactly what I mean, I can´t see any of the young bucks filling the void that will be when our "classic" bands are gone. Primal Scream or Kings Of Leon are not exactly the hottest acts right now, and they have been around for a good while now. So the future for stadium fillers as we know them, is soon over I think.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:25

I can't see putting Primal Scream or Kings Of Leon into the category of "stadium rock". Most if the new bands coming are doing sell-out business on their tours. But their sellouts are only a few thousand people compared to he stadium rock eras 10,000-20,000.

I think those days are over. it use to be there was a rock act coming to town that could attract 10,000 people almost every week. Now? Maybe every couple of months.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:28

mickijaggeroo
Exactly what I mean, I can´t see any of the young bucks filling the void that will be when our "classic" bands are gone. Primal Scream or Kings Of Leon are not exactly the hottest acts right now, and they have been around for a good while now. So the future for stadium fillers as we know them, is soon over I think.

Right on. In fact when the last of our favourites call it a day let's bulldoze the stadiums! grinning smiley

Date: December 19, 2008 21:30

harlito1969
I can't see putting Primal Scream or Kings Of Leon into the category of "stadium rock". Most if the new bands coming are doing sell-out business on their tours. But their sellouts are only a few thousand people compared to he stadium rock eras 10,000-20,000.

I think those days are over. it use to be there was a rock act coming to town that could attract 10,000 people almost every week. Now? Maybe every couple of months.

I only mentioned Primal Scream and Kings Of Leon as ROLLINGSTONE mentioned them, my personal belief is that they and everybody else stand NO chance of being as big as the bands I mentioned in my first post.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: clarkemf ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:31

I think it's a little incorrect to say we will lose stadium rock when we no longer have ACDC and Stones concerts...

Packing stadiums for another 10+ years will be guys such as Aerosmith, Springsteen, U2, Mellencamp, etc..

For the 20+ stadium packing mark, just look to bands like Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Pearl Jam

sure its a bit different and they may not fit YOUR tastes, these bands are phenomenal, and while i'll be rocking out at the shows, you can be the one crying in your beer cause you don't like DMB

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:32

Times they are a changing....Who knows something may come along even better?

Today with i tunes, ipods, computers, etc...The kids today don't really need or want the big live concerts that we needed & enjoyed..A new generation..

At 50, even myself i seem to enjoy kicking back and turning on my cd player and getting high listening to the Stones more than fighting to get a ticket and getting in long lines fighting with other fans who just want to sit and enjoy the music. GOD HELP YOU IF YOU WANT TO STAND!!

When we were young, part of the fun was sleeping out all night to get our tickets.. A concert was a big deal back in 72 to 81...Then they played Stones all the time and it was exciting...Today the kids get all the info they want about their fav band just on the internet..We didn't have that. We couldn't wait for a new album and a tour..

sOME DAY we may see kids return to going to see live concerts..but i really don't see it in my life time...
When the Stones stop touring i'll stop going...
Today's kids only need a computer and a cell phone to get high!!!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:32

no more stadium shows? good riddance. nice spectacle, but for me it's always been about the music...and big venues are lousy conduit for good music. gimme a nice, intimate jazz club anyday....yeah, i'm getting old, but i'm getting wise, too....

Date: December 19, 2008 21:34

clarkemf
I think it's a little incorrect to say we will lose stadium rock when we no longer have ACDC and Stones concerts...

Packing stadiums for another 10+ years will be guys such as Aerosmith, Springsteen, U2, Mellencamp, etc..

For the 20+ stadium packing mark, just look to bands like Foo Fighters, Dave Matthews Band, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Pearl Jam

sure its a bit different and they may not fit YOUR tastes, these bands are phenomenal, and while i'll be rocking out at the shows, you can be the one crying in your beer cause you don't like DMB

Sadly, I think you´re wrong. For example,Dave Matthews Band might fill stadíums in the US, not here in Europe. RHCP, PJ and others, will they fill stadiums year after year like the bands I mentioned in my first post? I don´t think so.Of course one can argue that stadium shows are bad, because of their size, but that was´nt the question here. I´m sure the bands mentioned above, all will be around many years to come, but stadium rock as we know it today, and the fun to be had at those shows, will soon be gone.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 21:38 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: December 19, 2008 21:41

no your wrong

Date: December 19, 2008 21:43

clarkemf
no your wrong

Really, how? Your comment is no good.....without some arguments..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: December 19, 2008 21:44

Aerosmith = Poor Mans Stones ;-)
....and nothing wrong being poor ;-)

Springsteen & U2 overrated

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 21:49 by rob.

Date: December 19, 2008 21:49

Date: December 19, 2008 21:49

Date: December 19, 2008 21:50

Date: December 19, 2008 21:52

Date: December 19, 2008 21:53

Dave Matthews is not even close....maybe in the US, but he´s no hit over here...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: December 19, 2008 21:53

Those are my arguements... stadium rock aint gone, rock still holds a powerful threshold on the world, and if you need more examples just let me know.

(and btw... that's about the best version of sledgehammer in existance)

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: December 19, 2008 21:56

mickijaggeroo
Dave Matthews Band might fill stadíums in the US, not here in Europe.

He rarely fills them here either.
Its mostly Arenas and Amphitheaters on his touring schedule

Date: December 19, 2008 22:01

OK, Aerosmith won´t fill any stadiums on a worldvide level anymore, Foofighters filled Wembley or whatever it was this summer, but that´s it, Pearl Jam won´t fill any stadiums worldwide, so what´s left? Problem is that some people here seems to see the initial question applied only to the US. I´m speaking of worldwide stadium filling tours. I won´t seee them happening anymore in a few years.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: December 19, 2008 22:15

Is this cue to suggest Oasis?..and start a riot...lol.

Doughie

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: December 19, 2008 22:16

Mickijaggeroo is so on the money with his comment.

I have been thinking the same thing.

How many bands have made it out of the 90's that can sell out a Giants Stadium for instance...never mind when they were at there peak?

The only acts that keep selling these types of venues out are the golden acts.

Because everybody steals music these days...no record company is going to mass market anymore...it's all micro marketing and micro marketing means micro seats and micro venues.

Yes...you will recall one day that music used to be played live in football/soccer stadiums...(if someone will believe you 10 years from now)

PECMAN

Date: December 19, 2008 22:17

Pecman
Mickijaggeroo is so on the money with his comment.

I have been thinking the same thing.

How many bands have made it out of the 90's that can sell out a Giants Stadium for instance...never mind when they were at there peak?

The only acts that keep selling these types of venues out are the golden acts.

Because everybody steals music these days...no record company is going to mass market anymore...it's all micro marketing and micro marketing means micro seats and micro venues.

Yes...you will recall one day that music used to be played live in football/soccer stadiums...(if someone will believe you 10 years from now)

PECMAN

Thank You Pecman, You understood me exactly.
And I think I´m right, and it´s really sad...

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-19 22:18 by mickijaggeroo.

Date: December 19, 2008 22:18

Stadiums are gone at least for me.......
Have seen the stones since -82
My friend had ticket to ALL Paris And ALL Stockholms
concerts in 2003 he only went to Cirkus and Olympia and Globe in Sthlm.....
I was at all of them....

Gonna see AC/DC this summer with El P
only because it's a BIG summer party that weekend !

Date: December 19, 2008 22:26

rob
Stadiums are gone at least for me.......
Have seen the stones since -82
My friend had ticket to ALL Paris And ALL Stockholms
concerts in 2003 he only went to Cirkus and Olympia and Globe in Sthlm.....
I was at all of them....

Gonna see AC/DC this summer with El P
only because it's a BIG summer party that weekend !

Yeah, but that will probaly be one of the last stadium shows you´ll ever see.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 19, 2008 22:49

mickijaggeroo
And I think I´m right, and it´s really sad...

why sad? don't you think music is best presented in smaller venues?

Date: December 19, 2008 22:55

You Don't understand ?

Who will take over the axe

after Stones, Zeppelin, Who, AC/DC, ec.ec
will/have to quit........playing
They took over after Muddy and the other "guys"

Nothing wrong with small venues... even better
but IF it comes a band that "everybody" wants to see...
are then back again to "stadiums" .
I don't think so......

Posted by: Jan Richards ()
Date: December 19, 2008 23:02

Musically the small venues are superior. But the feeling you get at a massive stadion gig, just experiencing the big crowd, that is a big part of the total feeling. I have seen hundreds of rock gigs through the years, but Stones at Giants Stadium with something like 78.000..... well THAT was big. I have also seen Stones in small clubs, but that is a totally different ballgame. A full size staduim gig is a magical happening.

Unfortunately I have to agree with The NSV President, there is no one today who can carry on the "mega stadium" happenings into the future.

Jan Richards

[www.stonesondecca.com]

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1925
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home