Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Last great stones show...
Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: December 19, 2008 16:35

Last show that I saw.......................

Posted by: robertfraser ()
Date: December 20, 2008 12:20

ROLLINGSTONE
Certainly not musically or technically but the Hampden Park, Glasgow show from August 2006 certainly had a hell of a rocking atmosphere and I think you can detect that on the BBC broadcast. It had been raining all day and just 5 minutes before the band hit the stage the rain stopped and stayed off. It was also the night Keith got his wrists slapped for lighting up a fag giving rise to a boot called 'No Smoking In Glasgow'.

Listening to the broadcast this could be the best show they played(without overdubs) since hampton 1981. it sounds crazy i know!!

if you don't belive me listen to tumblin dice from this show....the weave is back!!!ronnie is actually playing with keith rather than leaving gaps all over the place. pity about the muddy sound but i love this show.

Date: December 20, 2008 15:11

The last time I think they put on a really interesting show was during the No Security tour - I saw them in Toronto (can't remember if it was Maple Leaf Gardens or Air Canada Centre) - anyway, that was the last time I've seen them play some really different songs, high-energy, dirty guitars...overall less "produced" than sunsequent outings IMHO.

Not to say that other shows since then haven't been good, but No Security had a uniqueness to it that felt really cool. Hasn't happened since. (However, I'd probably be singing a different tune if I'd gotten tickets to any of the Licks club shows...)

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 20, 2008 23:24

straycatuk
msg 18-1-03

yes!!! I would go with that one also

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 20, 2008 23:48

jjflash73

Ditto that. The second o2 show was my last outing and it was a scorcher.
Better than the standard reached throughout much of the ABB tour. The interruption to that tour seemed to wreck the whole momentum in a way. The shame is that they were just getting back into some real form when the tour ended.
That said, I've never seen a poor Stones show in thirty five years. Sure, individual band members have their ups and downs, but the others always rise to the occasion and hold the line.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 21, 2008 17:15

IT HASNT BEEN PLAYED YET!!!!!! ( Well, one can hope.)

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: December 22, 2008 06:39

I'm gonna say Oct. 4, 1981. That was the second of two Boulder, CO shows I saw and they were both great. Yes, those were my first Stones shows so that makes them extra special to me, but I also saw the Phoenix show near the end of that tour and I remember thinking how much more polished they seemed. Hampton is good but maybe Ernie Watts sax is a bit too much (I know some of us feel that way). Boulder was the last show before Ernie joined the band. Listen to the boot 'Welcome to Boulder' (thanks again, Urbansteel) it sounds like '78 Stones compared to Phoenix & Hampton. I stand in the camp of people who feel everything from '89 on is Vegas Stones. I guess I like my Stones a little sloppy and ragged & Oct. 4, '81 may have been the last of that. After that day Ernie Watts changed their sound, the shows got more polished and professional (really, I think, the blueprint for every show since was born during that tour). Then we lost Ian Stewart and certainly that changed the band. I have seen some fantastic shows since that day; the last LA show in '89, Vegas '94 (the first time not in a stadium), New Mexico '97 (something about wide open spaces), SLC '99, (No Security is my 2nd favorite tour), '02 at the Joint (great to see them in a smaller club), Vegas '06 (the day Mick's dad died seemed like a special show). All these stand out and I could name several shows that didn't quite stand out but for me, and I think bootlegs confirm it, that October day in Boulder was the last great show. P.S. To Edith Grove, how could any show with Love Train be on this list?

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 22, 2008 12:40

Rockman
Last great stones show........Fvck I hope I'm at it!!!!

Ditto !!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: December 23, 2008 12:14

Olympia Paris 2003

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: December 24, 2008 07:28

jjflash73 wrote: "Last show that I saw......................."

That's my answer too....

Posted by: Virtual_Nobody ()
Date: December 24, 2008 11:21

For me no doubt at all

It was Ahoy Rotterdam 1973

They were at their peak then

Merry Christmas to everyone and hopefully a new cd for 2009/10 plus upgrades on the old ones and a 5 cd deluxe box

Virtual_Nobody

Posted by: Filip020169 ()
Date: December 24, 2008 15:10

Madison Square Garden, october 2009.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 24, 2008 16:39

THE NEXT ONE

Date: December 24, 2008 16:45

From the boots I've heard, London or Tokyo 1990, there's been some great shows since but it's getting fewer and farther between.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 25, 2008 04:29

Tornandfrayed
MSG 1969
The absolute pinnacle of the Stones in concert. Nothing will ever top these three shows, it´s all downhill from there.

Totally agree...these are the only shows i continually go back and listen to these days.

Other highlights are of course some US 72 shows, Aussie 73 shows & some europe '73 shows (notably Berlin, Brussels, Wembley & Frankfurt).

Hampton '81 is also a great show.

But everyone will have different opinions on this thread.

Posted by: backstage ()
Date: December 25, 2008 05:39

?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-25 07:54 by backstage.

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: December 25, 2008 10:03

Dodger Stadium 2006. a Midnight Rambler for the ages.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 25, 2008 18:34

Atlantic City 2006

Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 26, 2008 11:43

jjflash73

Yep. O2

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 26, 2008 20:12

The last one I went to..............I have never been anything but happy when I leave a Stones show. We should be grateful eveytime they take the stage.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: December 27, 2008 18:12

It was the last show I saw. Las Vegas in November of 06. I can remember Mick singing Streets of Love (bash all you want, it was amazing) like it was yesterday......I still get chills thinking about it.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1971
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home