Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie Is My Darling
Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 17, 2008 17:49

Saw this for the last time last night at a screening in Louisville. And...it's pretty boring. If you're a fanatic, you'll want to see it but it's easy to see why it wasn't released. The live footage that's in the movie is great but there's very little of it. The interview with Charlie is one of the high points - he comes across as extremely modest, thoughtful, and sharp. The Mick interview is also pretty good although his prediction that in the future people will only work four hours a day because the rest will be done by machines has sadly not come to fruition. Brian comes across as unhappy and pretentious.

But the most interesting thing I came across in relation to the movie is that according to the book It's Only Rock 'n' Roll, the movie was filmed in Ireland on Sept. 3 and 4, 1965. The band did two shows each day. Nothing unusual there. But on Sept. 6 and 7, they were in L.A. recording Get Off Of My Cloud, The Singer Not the Song, I'm Free, Gotta Get Away, Blue Turns To Grey, and She Said Yeah. Then another concert on Sept. 8 BACK IN THE UK at the Isle of Man. Even for breakneck 60's touring, this seems a ridiculous schedule. But you can understand how some out of tune 12 strings can appear in the December's Children performances (and the drums in I'm Free are in fact out of time at certain points) - it's amazing they produced what they did. I know Keith felt that GOOMC was a real rush job to get a follow-up to Satisfaction but I didn't know they had such little time to record at that point in their career.

Re: Charlie Is My Darling
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 17, 2008 18:11

Well I'd like to see it, but I felt its place was as a TV documentary and then video release. Certainly not the cinema chains.

You are right - they worked very hard in those days, not suprising that in the 1967/68 they took a 2 year or so break from touring.
Having said that the recordings they made in that time are still impressive..I think it proves that unlimited time on your hands in the studio doesn't necessaraly lead to better "product"

Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: December 17, 2008 19:44

jlowe

Having said that the recordings they made in that time are still impressive..I think it proves that unlimited time on your hands in the studio doesn't necessaraly lead to better "product"

Agreed. Get Off Of My Cloud is a classic and some of the others are great songs even with their flaws. A couple years later they probably spent a week on the percussion on Gomper alone so there's definitely not always a correlation between time spent and quality. Having said that, you weren't going to get something like Jumping Jack Flash, Street Fighting Man or Tumbling Dice out of 2 days in the studio.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: December 17, 2008 20:12

[www.iorr.org]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home