Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Fave Opener
Date: December 14, 2008 15:59

Who was your favorite opening act at a Stones show?
It's weird: it must be a choice gig, to get to open for the Stones, but it is also the most ungrateful job in the world. Nobody who is there for the Stones wats to see anyone but them. Especially back in the days when you had to wait for a whole day packed like sardines until they came on.
Another thing I noticed is that the Stones are not very generous with their PA system.
I liked the Neville Bros in New orleans in 81 a lot. This was their city, and they came out on that stage like they owned it; with a whole tribe of Injuns and banners and feathers flying everywhere.
And on Licks tour (of all people) No Doubt really rocked the stadium. Crowd was pretty apathetic for them , but they rocked hard.
PS Did the Clash ever open for the Stones?

Re: Fave Opener
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 15, 2008 08:30

Santana and Iggy. Fantastic, except Iggy was treated very pourly by the audience (it didn't help he wore a leather tutu), pelted by beer cups, and debris...but he was great!

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: December 15, 2008 20:25

It was not Starsailor though it is the only Stones gig I attended !

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 15, 2008 20:40

thrice i've had the pleasure of buddy guy opening for the lads...

Posted by: stewedandkeefed ()
Date: December 15, 2008 21:13

I agree that the Iggy and Santana line-up was pretty good in Pontiac in 1981. I went to the first night (the night Iggy didn't where the tutu) and Santana was surprisingly good doing a medley of Led Zep riffs and wonderful version of "She's Not There" as an encore.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 16, 2008 03:32

Terry Reid, Chuck Berry, BB King, Ike and Tina Turner(alternate shows): 1969 US tour
Stevie Wonder 1972 US tour-second place

Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 03:40

Have to be the 1969 line up collectively as a group; damn if they truly made a documentary of that tour with more footage from the actual shows, but i guess Altamont kinda sealed the fact that the tour was great and all but the real story was the build up to Altamont and of the course the concert itself;

my second favorite opener is Pearl Jam. Opened up for the boys 4 nights in oakland 1997 and then in Pittsburg 2005 . . .

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: December 16, 2008 04:49

Great acts open for the stones but for some reason never when i attend a show. The US seems to have a lot of bigger names. I was looking forward to van Morrison in Holland '07 but he quit after three songs because of the rain.
The Toots and the Maytalls were of course great but I really started to apreciate them once i started listening to them afterwards.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: December 16, 2008 14:49

Palace Revolution 2000
Who was your favorite opening act at a Stones show?
It's weird: it must be a choice gig, to get to open for the Stones, but it is also the most ungrateful job in the world. Nobody who is there for the Stones wats to see anyone but them. Especially back in the days when you had to wait for a whole day packed like sardines until they came on.
Another thing I noticed is that the Stones are not very generous with their PA system.
I liked the Neville Bros in New orleans in 81 a lot. This was their city, and they came out on that stage like they owned it; with a whole tribe of Injuns and banners and feathers flying everywhere.
And on Licks tour (of all people) No Doubt really rocked the stadium. Crowd was pretty apathetic for them , but they rocked hard.
PS Did the Clash ever open for the Stones?

Toots & the Maytals Copenhagen 2007

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:21

Of the three Stones shows I've seen I'm gonna have to say Lenny Kravitz.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:44

Some of the opening acts at The T.A.M.I. Show were pretty good...

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:54

CAPTAIN AND TENNILLE... 15 minute LOVE WILL KEEP US TOGETHER Jam brought the house down....

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 16, 2008 21:02

Opening night 1792: "Get Offa My Quil". What warhorse!

Date: December 16, 2008 22:48

Sheryl Crow at Wenbley in 99.

Everyone else since has been a bit crap.

Posted by: satisfaction2 ()
Date: December 16, 2008 22:50

J. Geils Band - 1982 (Köln)

AC/DC - 2003 (Oberhausen)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-16 23:01 by satisfaction2.

Date: December 16, 2008 22:55

Great topic!
My pick would have to be Alice Cooper & George Thorogood who were each "scheduled" to open for the Stones November 2006 show at Aloha Stadium , Oahu, Hawaii. The problem was the Stones cancelled their show and neither Alice nor George showed up either, so one can only imagine what it might have been like.
smoking smiley

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 16, 2008 23:00

Of the shows I've been at; Toots & The Maytals in Gothenburg last year was fantastic...and great as well in Copenhagen a few days later.

<<PS Did the Clash ever open for the Stones?>>

No

Posted by: Rialb ()
Date: December 17, 2008 06:05

Furry Lewis - Memphis 78

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home