Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
would a 'bootleg series' from the Stones sell?
Posted by: kees ()
Date: December 11, 2008 21:19

I just bought the collector box/3CD Deluxe edition from Dylan The bootleg series vol.8 - Euro 120,-
Very happy with it.
And soon will receive a (bootleg) 12CD box with all the soundboard recordings posted at Dylan his official website through the years.

questions:
1. would the Stones sell if they would follow Dylan, Springsteen, N. Young etc and release their hidden gems? Or would their not be much interest?

2. would you be willing to pay say $150,- for a box with 3CD's with outtakes and a 78 tour DVD - all very nice documented?

3. do they Stones have material available/stored to do so?

4. If available, will they seriously consider you think?

Re: would a 'bootleg series' from the Stones sell?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 11, 2008 22:00

Why not? We already pay(some of us have) the same or more for compilations from bootleggers so it would sell.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: December 11, 2008 22:10

Depends on what is meant by sell really, it would certainly ''sell''but at what volumes would it be considered a success.
What sort of sales does the Dylan series make. I have most of them but not the latest, can't recall if they ''chart'' or not.
Somebody on here will know the true sales figures.
There again where would they begin such an enterprise, I suppose releasing the early BBC stuff officially could start the ball Rolling.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: December 11, 2008 22:19

kees
questions:
1. would the Stones sell if they would follow Dylan, Springsteen, N. Young etc and release their hidden gems? Or would their not be much interest?

-Probably wouldn't sell more than the rarities cd, that's my guess. I bet the Stones have just as many hardcore fans as ie. Dylan or Springsteen, but still I believe there are more casuals that collect releases like that with in the two latter, but again, that's just my guess. How much did the Rarities cd sell anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-12 00:52 by S.T.P.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 11, 2008 22:40

1. Yes it would sell altho how many units is anyone's guess. They can afford the marketing and advertising costs to ensure reasonable sales.

2. $150 price tag for some obscure outtakes is going to seriously reduce an already small potential market. Are the big stores going to carry that? I baulked at paying £30 for ACDCs Plug Me In set. Something like a 'Stones Live - The 70s' could work - remastered Brussels 73 or a 3 disk 72/73/75 set with a DVD. There's possibilities there could have a lot wider appeal.

3. They may have the material. They may not have an interest in releasing it but I think they're probably canny enough to own or know where the stuff is.

4. Probably not!

Date: December 11, 2008 22:43

A bootleg series would be great - but at an affordable price.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 11, 2008 22:55

I imagine ABKCO would be a stumbling block for any 60's - early 70's stuff though.

Posted by: django ()
Date: December 11, 2008 22:58

As far as we know the Stones don't have enough unreleased finished tracks in the vaults to release a "series". For us fans tracks like Zip Mouth Angel, Yellow Cab or No Spare Parts are sensational, but the rest of the world wouldn't give a cent for it. And I doubt that our favorite band will release anything just to please their fans. It is all business.

Date: December 11, 2008 23:42

I think Question #4 is the key to the others. Where there's a will there's a way; but they are just not in that spirit anymore. Jagger used to talk and act much like the artists Neil Young, Dylan, Springsteen who are about integrity and music foremost. About carrying and passing the torch. But like Django says "it's all business".
Every once in a while it hits me: Jagger is no fool; he doesn't live on a different planet. He is on the Net like everyone else, and reads papers. He must know all this stuff we throw around back and forth day in day out.

Posted by: JK ()
Date: December 11, 2008 23:50

kees

questions:

2. would you be willing to pay say $150,- for a box with 3CD's with outtakes and a 78 tour DVD - all very nice documented?

1.No
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.No

Date: December 11, 2008 23:58

And yes, of course I would pay 150 for something like that. I think I already have...

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 12, 2008 00:33

django
As far as we know the Stones don't have enough unreleased finished tracks in the vaults to release a "series".

Neither did the Beatles, yet they still managed to fill three double-CD's worth of studio sessions over a period covering less than a decade.

That's because - like the Stones - there would be plenty of alternate versions of released songs to pad it out

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 12, 2008 00:57

Seeing that Mick is all about the money and the ego and Keith is not as so much (they repeat a few things talking about the Bang tour that they said about the Licks tour on The Biggest Bang, which just looks like 'Hey we're rich and look at what we can do halfassedly and you'll buy it') it will never happen.

No box set. Rarities is all we get. And that is total BUNK with exception to the finally on CD Through The Lonely Nights and Let It Rock.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 12, 2008 01:16

I think it would depend on the released material.

These days you shouldn't underestimate the influence of the net and when the material is good and/or new a positive rating from the fanbase will go through all other media and stimulate interest and finally make it a success.

So it's up to the Stones themselves . .

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 12, 2008 01:28

a boxed set would be wonderful, a cd and dvd combo of course

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 12, 2008 01:35

I would love to see it, but I don't think it would sell that well. that is why we won't see one any time soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-12 01:35 by ryanpow.

Date: December 12, 2008 01:40

kees
I just bought the collector box/3CD Deluxe edition from Dylan The bootleg series vol.8 - Euro 120,-
Very happy with it.
And soon will receive a (bootleg) 12CD box with all the soundboard recordings posted at Dylan his official website through the years.

questions:

1. It'll sell reasonably well in a niche market. Dont expect it to sell like a studio album would or 40 Licks. There's only so much mileage can be gained in compilations and live albums. They will however have to do one soon before nobody cares anymore.

2. No. I've been exploited enough over the last ten years, thanks very much.

3. Of course they have. With a recording career spanning 1962-2005 its quite obvious that they would have ample material there to justify a multi disc release. Maybe not so many finished unreleased songs of releasable quality, but there would be plenty of scope for releasing alternate versions of released songs. Think of the "Scoop" series that Pete Townshend put out some years ago.

4. Give me the keys to their vaults if they dont want to invest time and effort in such a project, and I'll gladly do it for them. They can approve or reject it afterwards. I think a lot of people would also gladly volunteer.

Date: December 12, 2008 02:14

we would be kids in a candy store

Posted by: fyp933 ()
Date: December 12, 2008 03:36

What the Stones should do is what Frank Zappa did a number of years ago with the Beat The Boots set.
sell the original bootlegs in a limited edition at a regular price.
sure some people wouldn't buy it because they already own the recordings but alot of people still would.

Date: December 12, 2008 04:02

We're in a different era. Its too easy to download bootlegs for free now instead of having to pay more than the price of a regular CD to buy them.

Personally speaking, I've never been someone who spent money on 'original' bootlegs, but have always acquired copies through trades and latterly downloads.

It wouldnt sell. Springsteen, Young, Dylan, The Who and other artists have put out archive material that in many cases wasnt previously in circulation. The Stones doing nothing more than putting their name officially on a few already available soundboards wouldnt be of much use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-12 04:03 by Gazza.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: December 12, 2008 04:23

It will sell 100k units TOPS in U.S. and about 300k worldwide.

Date: December 12, 2008 04:26

well thats better then most of there albums isnt it,lol

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 12, 2008 05:04

It wouldn't sell squat. The only people who'd care about it are right here and at two or three other sites, and we already have all the stuff.

Date: December 12, 2008 05:34

not the long awaited 73 and 78 pro shots we dont, i would think those are in the vault among many other thrilling nuggets that we have no idea of

Date: December 12, 2008 06:20

melillo
not the long awaited 73 and 78 pro shots we dont, i would think those are in the vault among many other thrilling nuggets that we have no idea of

long awaited by US. No one else cares. What pro shots are there we haven't seen? Do the stones own them? Have they deteriorated? We don't know. I doubt anyone knows. As far as we know, no one has ever been deputized to collate, categorize and organize ANY of this stuff. It's a shame, I wish somebody would; but Jagger plainly doesn't think it's worth it.

I have no way to prove it, but my hunch is that ALL the completed unreleased tracks the Stones own would fit on one CD. Maybe two.

Date: December 12, 2008 06:24

lets not forget the many complete 69 videos that are probably out there because of the gimme shelter film

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 12, 2008 06:31

Hey,Tommy! what are you doing up so late??

Date: December 12, 2008 06:58

scottkeef
Hey,Tommy! what are you doing up so late??

No school tomorrow! Up partying with my boy! smiling smiley

Date: December 12, 2008 07:04

melillo
lets not forget the many complete 69 videos that are probably out there because of the gimme shelter film

I'm not sure I follow that, but if you're meaning that the Maysles Brothers filmed multiple shows completely, they didn't. They didn't film a single complete show at all.

Date: December 12, 2008 07:09

are you sure of this

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1958
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home