Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: An analysis of "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" and the 1969 NY City Bootlegs.
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 15, 2008 08:26

The Sicilian

Great article, but as a sarcastic Jagger asks the question "can you remember the records Brian plays lead on? Not our early ones - the later ones?"

What is the answer?

I think he's sarcastically implying that there aren't any later records with Brian playing lead guitar on them.

whitem8
Not sure about them recording at Apple?

The Beatles had to borrow equipment from EMI/Abbey Road for the Jan/Feb LIB project, but by June/July 1969 I think things were a bit more together at Apple Studios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-15 08:31 by His Majesty.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: December 15, 2008 12:49

Magic Alex was a charlatan who talked the talk but failed to set up the new Apple studios, as has been well documented. However by the end of the 1960s a proper top-notch studio was built at the Apple premises in Saville Row, central London. Beatles engineer Geoff Emerick helped set this up and discusses this in his recent book about recording with the Beatles (I forget the name of the book). The studio also had record cutting facilities, so I would guess that the rough versions of GYYYO were cut at Apple - why I don't know, perhaps as the Stones were friendly with the Beatles then they were offered the use of the facilities etc. The Apple studios were in constant use by various recording artists up until the mid-70s, then Ringo decided to gut the place out and install a film/soundtrack editing suite, though the latter never happened..and that was the end of the Apple studios.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 15, 2008 20:45

His Majesty
Don't you mean Apple Studios, not Abbey Road? There's pics of them rehearsing at Apple circa June/July 1969.

Funny, Jagger's hair is twice as long at the actual gig.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: December 15, 2008 22:14

Hehehe, it says in Stone Alone that Mick went to see about a wig around about this time.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 16, 2008 00:54

I believe the Stones included I'm Free for political reasons on the 69 tour. The left wing radicals really liked the Stones and the inclusion of I'm Free at some of the shows and Street Fighting Man at the end made the Stones the darlings of the left on that tour. I very much liked how they ran Under My Thumb and I'm Free together.

While Jigsaw Puzzle would have been cool in the setlist back then, the stuff they played was pretty eclectic. Accoustic and electric blues, new and old hits, new and unheard material from Let it Bleed, and last but certainly not least, the Chuck Berry nuggets.

Posted by: SonicBBQ ()
Date: December 16, 2008 08:48

Posted by: rlngstns ()
Date: December 10, 2008 16:28

have you ever come across any of these albums....???

Yes...i own the Apple acetate pictured toward the bottom of the page...the recording on it has never been bootlegged as it is in somewhat better condition than the previous two from which the Broadway and F*ck Her Ya-Ya's Out recordings were made.

Posted by: Rufestone ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:14

Almost 40 years ....

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 16, 2008 19:37

skipstone
That's because I'm Free is not an interesting song. And it is very odd that they bothered to play it on that tour, especially with so many other better songs. Why not Jigsaw Puzzle? That's always amazed me that they've never played that song.

I believe it's cause Jagger has said he doesn't like real "wordy" songs (Like HAND OF FATE). JIGSAW PUZZLE has many words - too many for Mick to bother to remember I guess.....I'M FREE in 1969, yeah, pretty weak (but the political explanation sounds possible) They should have played HAVE MERCY like they did months earlier at HYDE PARK, a better choice IMHO - it rocked pretty good for THAT show....

MERCY MERCY (HAVE MERCY) LIVE IN HYDE PARK - July 1969

Date: December 16, 2008 19:45

skipstone
It is strange how on some - I recall Love You Live having this as well - the songs sound very clear vocally - the O/D songs, and then the actual talk Mick did between the songs is very...odd sounding. As if it's in the back of the room. Damn overdubbing

That's cause they turn the audience mics up between songs so you catch the echo in the hall of Mick if he says something on stage. They usually turn them down DURING the song so the singing sounds very CLOSE and Echo-less.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 16, 2008 20:05

Yeah but it's not the actual mic Mick is using, which would be included in some way.

Jigsaw is too wordy? That's why Mick won't sing it?

Good grief what a load of bullshit! He's just lazy.

Date: December 16, 2008 20:38

skipper - it's a very LONG, full of words song (alot to remember) I like it personally but would rather hear BACK STREET GIRL or 2000 MAN or CITADEL - "Beggars Banquet" has been fully played live except for DEAR DOCTOR and JSP, that's pretty good...

Nah man, the audience mics that catch stuff like "PAINT IT BLACK YOU DEVILS". If someone says something in the audience in between songs there has to be a mic, not Micks mic but a mic to pick up all that shit - it's kinda magical.... That's why parts of LYL sound CLOSE and parts sound all echo - y. Different mic set ups, different venues, different sound board guys. The best example is the 1975 LA FORUM Boot DVD. Half way through YCAGWYW Micks voice becomes much louder, that's the audience mics being turned down by a probably stoned sound board guy - ruined the whole first half of the concert's mix on that show....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 17, 2008 05:11

HelterSkelter
They should have played HAVE MERCY like they did months earlier at HYDE PARK, a better choice IMHO - it rocked pretty good for THAT show....

I so much agree with that. Is Keith playing a flying V in the back?

Date: December 17, 2008 06:03

Yeah, no, I get that, the audience mics. The point I'm making is how come they didn't include what was going through Jagger's live mic as well, like you hear on Flashpoint and Still Life, etc...? It's an amazing difference in sound between the live sound and the O/D. Even Ya-Ya's has his actual mic coming through.

I can't see Jigsaw being any wordier than Monkey Man or Midnight Rambler or Wild Horses or Shattered or She's So Cold, etc...you get the point. They do plenty of wordy songs. But - Jigsaw, if they played it right, wouldn't be so 'wordy' if it was played at a decent tempo. Plus Mick has the teleprompter to use.

That is funny that there are only 2 songs from BB that haven't been played. What other album has had the least amount left off? Black And Blue? They've done everything from that except Cherry Oh Baby to my knowledge. Have they done every song from Some Girls?

Date: December 17, 2008 06:58

skipstone
They've done everything from that except Cherry Oh Baby to my knowledge. Have they done every song from Some Girls?

Cherry Oh Baby was done a couple of times, one great version at MSG on 6-27-1975

Date: December 17, 2008 07:04

Wow. So they've played all of Black And Blue then!

Date: December 17, 2008 07:24

skipstone
Have they done every song from Some Girls?

Yes they have as well. At the show that I saw in Buffalo on 7-4-1978, they played 8 out of 10 songs from Some Girls.

That day they did not play, "Some Girls" and "Before They Make Me Run"

For me, it was quite disappointing as I was expecting to hear some older stuff.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: December 17, 2008 08:25

ever played Cherry besides NYC TOTA?

p

Date: December 17, 2008 15:16

timbernardis
ever played Cherry besides NYC TOTA?

Cherry Oh Baby was also played in Paris on June 7, 1976

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: December 18, 2008 18:57

I thought the medley of "Under My Thumb" into "I'm Free" at MSG '69 was awesome. They should have played it this way through the entire '69 tour. The slower version of "I'm Free" in the beginning of the tour (as featured on the bootleg Liver Than You'll Ever Be) doesn't do it for me...

Date: December 18, 2008 19:07

I think that would make an interesting thread - the albums and what songs have been played from them - as well as whatever B-sides to said album singles.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1665
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home