Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Thanks Martin Scorsese, You are Magic
Posted by: phd ()
Date: December 7, 2008 22:14

On this year-end I wanted to thank you for having captured in SAL some of those instants that are magic to a Stones fan :

- In She's so hot, at the end of the song when Mick is electrified by the music while watching like in the distance in the direction of Lisa and Bernard,

- As Tears Go By. The old complicity btw Mick and Keith really looks deeply sincere and having not been altered by the decades. The smile from Mick to Keith says more than tons of articles.

- And Keith. I suppose a lot has been written here about those 45 seconds at the end of the Bonuses when Music is humbly playing on solo a nice piece after having been presented to Clinton. This is a unique moment. The Guitar Hero playing like He could have been playing 50 years from now. " Bash stardom, I am only a simple guitar player".

Thanks Mr.Scorsese for this present.

Re: Thanks Martin Scorsese, You are Magic
Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 7, 2008 22:57

While I liked parts of this movie, I expected more from Scorsese given his appreciation of the Stones. I hated all the closeups and flash editing. It was overkill. More full stage shots of the band playing and interacting would have made it much easier on the eyes. The offstage footage prior the concerts was fun to watch, but I have no desire to own this one via dvd. It just wasn't that good.

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: December 7, 2008 23:11

I agree with PHD on those moments, especially the Keith one playing solo, almost classical piece. Also would like to add Just My Imagination as stellar, and the Buddy Guy appearance that almost stole the show.

Liked SAL much better 2nd time I saw it.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 7, 2008 23:18

agree with filstan, so much more could have been done with this flick, including the extras, 15 min of bonus, what the hell is that?

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 8, 2008 01:24

About the bonus material, it's amazing when Mick sings "Connection" with Keith during the rehearsals! That's the way they should play it in concert!!!
I loved every bit of the movie and the DVD!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 01:48 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 8, 2008 01:45

didnt say it wasnt good, its just not enough

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 8, 2008 02:30

i found the film a major disappointment, and at best a bit of a cartoon for history, (which will not be kind to this lite fodder.) i was bored and sick of it within the first twenty minutes. i don't want to crawl inside the pores on jagger's face or see his friggin' dental work...
...Scorsese's 'magic,' imo, must be relegated to some of his really amazing feature film work many decades ago. i call him clueless marty. i mean how could you eff up filming a live rolling stones gig? he found a way. not at all a document worthy of the Stones prescence, achievements, brilliance, importance.
another homo-erotic love story between Marty and Mick, now that Marty and Robbie have broken up. Scorceses non-fiction work is a shambles. and he keeps using that same clueless editor. sigh. well kids, hoped you enjoyed the show, really honestly do, but that's my impression. Marty make HIMSELF a major protagonist in the story...extemely weird and selfish and if he had any real cultural sense of understanging, he'd have not done that. imo. embarrasing actually.

this film is not coming close to giving definitive looks and listens to the band at their current best. it's a trainwreck, can i get at least one amen?
probably not at the best stones fan site in world, understandably...

some good moments? of course, it's the Stones...some good performances? of course it's the effing mighty Rolling Stones...a good film? no, imo. if i was a film critic, which i am not, i would give it two and half stars and refer people elsewhere for diamond Stones live footage. some of it very recent too.

the off speed versions, the horrendous mix of the 'soundtrack' not bothering to turn, uh, ron's guitar, like up in the mix...duhhhh....just fuc*ing lazy and stupid and clueless.
not the document i'd be happy to share with coming generations who might have missed the sixties and seventies imo...IF IF IF this is a true document of where the Stones are in performance at this point (which i do not believe it is for the very most part,) then let's just fold the tent.
...i mean this was a trainwreck and 'masterful magic' marty is responsible. the artifice of fake drama about the setlists, the hired 'fans'...
i keep telling myself 'no big deal it's just a movie,' but it's not a good movie and The Stones deserve better, and they themselves either did not care much, or do much about the movie, nor careful production work on the soundtrack mixes etc...except for some promo red carpet stuff which was a gas, and some wonderful moments here and there, it's bland to pathetic for the most part imo.
horrors.
I am however truly glad that fans enjoyed this and were excited about it.
i will probably watch it again some day, long from now, or maybe not.
truth is, i could not sit all the way through the showing.

ok, if you disagree, as most surely would, being grateful for almost any stones coverage in that we miss them and always want more of them, but please don't get on my case personally. it's just one leetle opinion. thank you.

Date: December 8, 2008 05:21

Amen Beelyboy. Well said.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: December 8, 2008 06:42

Beelboy, would you be up for talking about those wonderful moments?
What were they for you?

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: December 8, 2008 07:57

He got Mick and Keith to sing out of the same microphone! For that I thank you!

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 8, 2008 08:46

SAL sucks. I can't see or feel any Scorsese or Stones magic. I expected MUCH MUCH more.

FAILED!

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: December 8, 2008 09:23

The greatest film about the Stones forever (and ever?) It happened. Someone succeeded to film The Rolling Stones with their truth. And, it's Martin Scorcese. Not for people who love explanations of anything. Thank's God, that film doesn't explain magic of the Stones. It only shows the Magic of the band and the best Performer of all time (Mick)[Never filmed like That!]. Scorcese wanted testify of that magic band. Incredible!! Don't listen to sad people who prefer intellectual formatted projects. Here, it's the true living music. Seen 8 times at cinema. Not satisfied. I want more ! The greatest film about the rolling Stones forever and ever. Great choice of photography, sound (we understand guitars alchemy) and many rare songs (as tears go by, some girls,she was hot, loving cup, you got the silver, faraway eyes etc...!!), Great duos (buddy guy, jack white..)And, thank's to the ROLLING STONES. Never too late to realize a dream: The Martin's dream.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2008 10:17

Wild Slivovitz
About the bonus material, it's amazing when Mick sings "Connection" with Keith during the rehearsals! That's the way they should play it in concert!!!
!

This incident is the first reason making me even to think about having the DVD.

How is easily those guys could give a collective orgasm to hardcore Stones fans: Mick just once sharing the vocals with Keith on his solo number! (of course they won't - there is that mythical contract of denying Mick's presence while Keith's numbers - which is total small-soulness, egoistic idiotism if it is true. I tend to think that the true reason is that Mick just wants to rest for a while.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 10:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: December 8, 2008 12:38

Doxa
Mick just once sharing the vocals with Keith on his solo number!

I've never come to consider Connection as being a Keith solo number. To me it is always
that song with two vocalists and if Mick is not joining in, something is dearly missed.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 8, 2008 13:25

marcovandereijk
Doxa
Mick just once sharing the vocals with Keith on his solo number!

I've never come to consider Connection as being a Keith solo number. To me it is always
that song with two vocalists and if Mick is not joining in, something is dearly missed.

Yeah, the original duet is also the way I also come to think of it. But it looks like that it was as close being a Keith Richard solo number as it was possible in 1967. Jagger said about it something to the effect "it was Keith more or less by his own". Perhaps they thought that the 'world' was not yet ready to hear Keith's voice carrying the whole song yet... Seemingly, there was also some kind of reason why Keith came to choose it to play with the Winos - and of course, finally as his solo Stones number.

(this goes very OT: I have listened quite a lot of BETWEEN THE BUTTONS lately, especially its rockers ("Connection", "Miss AManda Jones") and I have started to hear surprising (?) similarities to EXILE ON MAN STREET - for example the way Mick and Keith sings and shout - and share vocals in that unique way, and the way the band really rocks hard but still with such effortless and natural way. They had few experiments of their sound etc. in the following years, but in EXILE they rediscovered that uptempo-rocking style, and Keith really pushes the band with his vocals.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 13:29 by Doxa.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: December 8, 2008 14:03

Bimmelzerbott
SAL sucks. I can't see or feel any Scorsese or Stones magic. I expected MUCH MUCH more.

FAILED!

Well, hopefully Scorsese and the Stones didn't expect MUCH MUCH more from you and those alikes.. No offence, but I had to say it...

Posted by: stonesmusicfan ()
Date: December 8, 2008 16:32

the Man has a cottage industry doing them, and in spite of a different subject, they are going to be "safe".

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: December 8, 2008 17:57

Gotta agree with Shezeboss.It was all there, so like that Stones song says, Take It Or Leave It.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 8, 2008 18:58

SAL's ok but Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, Goodfellas is the real Scorsese Magic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-12-08 18:59 by ROLLINGSTONE.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 8, 2008 19:28

Marty is full of himself and should never be allowed to be on film. He and that little whiny bitch Woody Allen need to go camping together.

Posted by: Jatimmer ()
Date: December 8, 2008 21:59

Come on - SAL is a great Stones movie. To a true Stones fan, this movie is priceless!! It seems to me that if you haven't purchased it then you are not a true fan. I have watched this movie 20+ times and although it's not perfect, there are tons of great pieces in it. Mick is great and Keith is better than I thought he would be. Enough bashing of this movie...it is what it is. If you enjoy it - then you're a true Stones fan. If not, stop bashing it and follow another band!!!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:01

Oh I have SAL. I've watched it once since I got it. Saw it once in the theatres. I'll watch it again. At some point. It's just no as good as some people have blown it up to be.

That has nothing to do with Marty though, really, my whole point was he should not have been allowed to have even been filmed, yet alone put in to the movie.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:11

yeah I'm getting it for the extra stuff on the DVD. I'm one longtime Stones fan who hasn't seen this thing yet, and I had a gut feeling it would be contrived, like Beelyboy has said. (and lots of others)
at some point somebody will make a good documentary, like 25x5 which pointed the way. A Ken Burns kind of thing, in eight 2 hr segments! even that would barely be enough..

Posted by: Jatimmer ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:25

Well you have not seen the movie yet, so how can you agree with Beelyboy...? and as a Stones fan - how come you have not seen it yet? Beelyboy's points are waaay off...some of that stuff is for TV and Marty is just playing around, having fun....really, as real Stones fan shouldn't you have seen this movie right away!!!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:26

angee
Beelboy, would you be up for talking about those wonderful moments?
What were they for you?

hi angee: well i was very moved by 'faraway eyes' really loved that. but again that's one precious moment when we see some closeness and interaction, not really available in most of the rest of the film...classic charlie moments are edited to a quick second and gone?

i really like 'connection' on the soundtrack CD, but could not hear much of Ron, who was doing incredible work with Keith...(i felt this way about most of the mixing...with chuck up and at least one of the weaving guitars not present enough...

i liked the little snippets of charlie and and the other guys, but they were just a flash. i kind of personally really get off on watching the band together, keith to charlie, keith to mick, mick to ron whatever...this particularly has always fascinated me about this band.

i think their early tv appearances were much more impactful with group shots, and the occasional several seconds of each of them isolated...

u know angee, i love them so much i'm just always glad to see them, even in snippets; there's little moments i can't pinpoint, a look from keith etc...
i don't want to criticize it anymore and have not commented too much on this and never gave a review and don't feel qualified to do so, as i did not watch the entire film...
then i rented it on DVD, and fast forwarding here and there found some sweetness and flow but mostly not. sorry i can't be more specific...

what moments, or songs did you particularly like?
it's more fun to concentrate on what went right and moved so many fans....
do you get what i'm saying about all the quick cuts and stuff...for me, if the BAND is not mixed together some major things are missing...mick's always gonna be fun and fascinating up front, even glorious, if there's a great concert in there...hopefully some other decade someone will re-mix some of the songs...
the guest shots did nothing for me...i dunno...it's entertainment.
i was hoping for something more downhome rough ready, at least something mixed wonderfully...i dunno, the whole thing stinks of artifice in general imo.

Date: December 8, 2008 22:26

Jatimmer said:

"Come on - SAL is a great Stones movie. To a true Stones fan, this movie is priceless!! It seems to me that if you haven't purchased it then you are not a true fan. I have watched this movie 20+ times and although it's not perfect, there are tons of great pieces in it. Mick is great and Keith is better than I thought he would be. Enough bashing of this movie...it is what it is. If you enjoy it - then you're a true Stones fan. If not, stop bashing it and follow another band!!!"

It is absurd to say that if you don't love SAL then you are not a strong fan of the Stones. Give me a break! Good for you if you like this movie, but don't challenge myself and other longtime fans for having a different opinion of this film. Who died and left you boss?

If you honestly think this movie reveals the Rolling Stones at the top 50% of their game then you haven't ever seen them play well. End of story.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:30

Think you're giving Scorcese too much credit. The cinematographers and all input from Jagger throughout project was truly essential.

Stones were on their best behaviour for the filming. Posterity and all that.

I play the soundtrack most every day. But don't need to look at the band that often. Agree, however, that the first viewing of SAL is very exciting.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 8, 2008 22:44

Jatimmer
Well you have not seen the movie yet, so how can you agree with Beelyboy...? and as a Stones fan - how come you have not seen it yet? Beelyboy's points are waaay off...some of that stuff is for TV and Marty is just playing around, having fun....really, as real Stones fan shouldn't you have seen this movie right away!!!

??? not guilty. just haven't seen it YET
no hurry, it's not like Harry Potter

Posted by: Bimmelzerbott ()
Date: December 8, 2008 23:05

Jatimmer
Come on - SAL is a great Stones movie. To a true Stones fan, this movie is priceless!! It seems to me that if you haven't purchased it then you are not a true fan.

Man, I feel like a 12 year old again :-D

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 14, 2009 04:28

Man there is mixed feelings about SAL!!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home