Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051Next
Current Page: 48 of 51
Re: THE OFFICIAL "IT'S ON DIME" THREAD
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 20, 2023 09:41

The Econeywaaa Legacy Series- The Rolling Stones Boston Garden, March 23, 1999

Again, another show I was not happy with the way it came out as I was in the 10th row center and the Garden will always suck.
Sound Professionals Cardioids-Sony D8DAT-Sony PCM-2300-Focusrite 6i6-Cool Edit Pro-CDWave.

Again, the only thing I did to the tape was run it through Cool Edit Pro for click removal.

Jumpin' Jack Flash
Live With Me
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Honky Tonk Women
Moonlight Mile
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
Thief in the Night
You Don't Have to Mean It
Out of Control
Route 66
Get Off of My Cloud
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (but I Like It)
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Encore:
Sympathy for the Devil

Size 612.82 MB (642,587,128 bytes)
Added Thu 20th Apr, 2023 03:52 GMT

Upped by econeywaaa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: April 20, 2023 10:02

dcba
The Econeywaaa Legacy Series- The Rolling Stones Boston Garden, March 23, 1999

Upped by econeywaaa

[www.dimeadozen.org]
here a WT link
[we.tl]

Posted by: Peterdv ()
Date: April 20, 2023 10:58

Thanks DCBA and StonyRoad
and what a great recording this is wow, listening to it right now, it's a killer woudl recommend all to dld it !!
cheers
Peter

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: April 20, 2023 18:27

Thanks dcba and StonyRoad and of course to the taper and sharer econeywaaa!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-20 18:38 by Quique-stone.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: April 20, 2023 20:40

Quique-stone
Thanks dcba and StonyRoad and of course to the taper and sharer econeywaaa!

X2

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: April 22, 2023 01:08

Thanks to all involved, much appreciated. thumbs up

Date: April 22, 2023 15:41

Rolling Stones
Olympiastadion
Munich, GER
1990-06-02

Be warned: this has poor sound! I was in doubt to upload but some die-hards might have it....so here you go

source: analog audience recording
gen: of master
taper: ?
cassette provided by: jormajeff
transfer: cassette -> Technics RS-BX747 -> Adobe Audition -> CDWave -> TLH (flac)
digital transfer/edit by mossa 2023-04 (24-48)

01 Start // Me Up
02 Sad Sad Sad
03 Harlem Shuffle
04 Tumbling Dice
05 Miss You
06 Almost Hear You Sigh
07 Ruby Tuesday
08 Factory Girl
09 Rock And A Hard Place
10 Mixed // Emotions
11 Honky Tonk Women
12 Midnight Rambler
13 You Can’t Always Get What You Want
14 Little Red Rooster
15 Can’t Be Seen
16 Happy
17 Paint It Black
18 2000 Light Years From Home
19 -> Sympathy For The Devil
20 Street Fighting Man
21 -> Gimme Shelter
22 It’s Only Rock’n Roll
23 Brown Sugar//
24 // Satisfaction
Encore:
25 Jumpin' Jack Flash

Notes:
- distant and sometime high leveled recording - be warned!
- "Start Me Up" has 2 cutrs in middle (repaired)
- "Mixed Emotioons" cuts in middle (tape flip; repaired)
- "Brown Sugar cuts off
- ""Satisfaction" cuts in

Personal note:
- it rained cats and dogs that day, I bought a ticket for DM 5,00 (!!!, now EUR 2,50) from a seller who tried to sell 30 tickets!
- the master tapes were given to jormajeff from the taper - he wasn't interested in keeping them.

Size 1.71 GB (1,831,454,205 bytes)
Added Sat 22nd Apr, 2023 07:19 GMT

Upped by mossa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Date: April 23, 2023 09:47

The Rolling Stones, Hartford, CT, March 29,1999-Previously Uncirculated from master DAT.

Description The Econeywaaa Legacy Series-The Rolling Stones, Hartford, CT, March 29,1999

This tape should be alesson to you all: Never mix business with pleasure! I took this girl who looked just like the actress Rebecca Gayheart to this show and we got very buzzed beforehand.

There is a gap in the first song from God knows why and the levels went up and down a few times, as I was drunk and didn't leave the @#$%& thing alone.

Sound Professionals Cardioids-Sony D8DAT-Sony PCM-2300-Focusrite 6i6-Cool Edit Pro-CDWave

Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
I Got The Blues
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
Band intro
Thief In The Night
You Don't Have To Mean It
Out of Control
Route 66
When The Whip Comes Down
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
It's Only Rock'n Roll (But I Like It)
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

Size 638.27 MB (669,274,750 bytes)

Upped by econeywaaa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: April 24, 2023 07:18

dcba
Rolling Stones
Olympiastadion
Munich, GER
1990-06-02

Be warned: this has poor sound! I was in doubt to upload but some die-hards might have it....so here you go

transfer: cassette -> Technics RS-BX747 -> Adobe Audition -> CDWave -> TLH (flac)

01 Start // Me Up
02 Sad Sad Sad
03 Harlem Shuffle
04 Tumbling Dice
05 Miss You
06 Almost Hear You Sigh
07 Ruby Tuesday
08 Factory Girl
09 Rock And A Hard Place
10 Mixed // Emotions
11 Honky Tonk Women
12 Midnight Rambler
13 You Can’t Always Get What You Want
14 Little Red Rooster
15 Can’t Be Seen
16 Happy
17 Paint It Black
18 2000 Light Years From Home
19 -> Sympathy For The Devil
20 Street Fighting Man
21 -> Gimme Shelter
22 It’s Only Rock’n Roll
23 Brown Sugar//
24 // Satisfaction
Encore:
25 Jumpin' Jack Flash

Notes:
- distant and sometime high leveled recording - be warned!
- "Start Me Up" has 2 cutrs in middle (repaired)
- "Mixed Emotioons" cuts in middle (tape flip; repaired)
- "Brown Sugar cuts off
- ""Satisfaction" cuts in

Personal note:
- it rained cats and dogs that day, I bought a ticket for DM 5,00 (!!!, now EUR 2,50) from a seller who tried to sell 30 tickets!
- the master tapes were given to jormajeff from the taper - he wasn't interested in keeping them.

Size 1.71 GB (1,831,454,205 bytes)
Added Sat 22nd Apr, 2023 07:19 GMT

Upped by mossa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

wt Please ...

Date: April 24, 2023 07:18

dcba
The Rolling Stones, Hartford, CT, March 29,1999-Previously Uncirculated from master DAT.

Description The Econeywaaa Legacy Series-The Rolling Stones, Hartford, CT, March 29,1999

This tape should be alesson to you all: Never mix business with pleasure! I took this girl who looked just like the actress Rebecca Gayheart to this show and we got very buzzed beforehand.

There is a gap in the first song from God knows why and the levels went up and down a few times, as I was drunk and didn't leave the @#$%& thing alone.

Sound Professionals Cardioids-Sony D8DAT-Sony PCM-2300-Focusrite 6i6-Cool Edit Pro-CDWave

Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
I Got The Blues
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
Band intro
Thief In The Night
Out of Control
Route 66
When The Whip Comes Down
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

Upped by econeywaaa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

wt please ....

Date: April 24, 2023 11:57

dcba
Rolling Stones
Olympiastadion
Munich, GER
1990-06-02

Upped by mossa

[www.dimeadozen.org]
here a WT link (valid until 01/May)
[we.tl]

Date: April 24, 2023 11:59

dcba

Upped by econeywaaa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

WT link valid until 01 May
[we.tl]

Date: April 24, 2023 16:28

hot smiley

Date: April 25, 2023 00:23

Thanks dcba and StonyRoad!
thumbs up

Date: April 26, 2023 10:12

Thank you Norbert.
According to Econeywaaa this March 29 tape is the 3rd and last stones show he recorded. Too bad...

Date: April 27, 2023 19:08

StoneZP
Thanks dcba and StonyRoad!
thumbs up

+1!

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: April 28, 2023 17:34

dcba

Jumping Jack Flash
You Got Me Rocking
Respectable
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
I Got The Blues
Saint of Me
Some Girls
Paint It Black
Band intro
Thief In The Night
Out of Control
Route 66
When The Whip Comes Down
Midnight Rambler
Tumbling Dice
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Sympathy For The Devil

Upped by econeywaaa

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Turns out, this recording was the source for all other circulating versions of this show, except the audio from the video source.

Date: June 18, 2023 14:34

The Rolling Stones Master Cassette Upgrade From Waz From Oz
Royal Randwick Racecourse,
Sydney, NSW Australia
26th February 1973

01. Audience > 2000 Light Years From Home Intro
02. Brown Sugar
03. Bitch
04. Rocks Off
05. Gimme Shelter
06. Tumbling Dice
07. Happy
08. Love In Vain
09. Sweet Virginia
10. You Can’t Always Get Want You Want
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. All Down The Line
13. Midnight Rambler
14. Band Introductions
15. Little Queenie
16. Rip This Joint
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. Street Fighting Man > Audience > Land Of Hope And Glory with fireworks

2023 Remaster Thanks to mjk5510
Sydney 26th February 1973 Photos By Big Knob / Artwork By Waz From Oz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1973 New Zealand / Australian Tour Dates
New Zealand
11th February Western Springs Stadium - Auckland - Taped x 2
Australia
14th February - Milton Park Tennis Courts - Brisbane, QLD - Taped
17th February - Kooyong Tennis Courts - Melbourne, VIC (2 Shows) - Taped x 3
18th February - Kooyong Tennis Courts - Melbourne, VIC - Taped
20th February - Memorial Drive Park - Adelaide, SA - Taped
21st February - Memorial Drive Park - Adelaide, SA
24th February - Western Australia Cricket Ground - Perth, WA - Incomplete SBD
26th February - Royal Randwick Racecourse - Sydney, NSW - Taped x 2 plus Incomplete SBD
27th February - Royal Randwick Racecourse - Sydney, NSW - SBD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This show had its 50th anniversary just under 4 months ago, this torrent is a remaster from my master cassette which was my first first attempt at recording a show.
Last year I torrented on DIME my mate Doris Deaths alternate source remaster along with different notes, memories & newspaper articles, see below

[www.dimeadozen.org]

The differences between Doris’s recording compared to mine are that my recording is somewhat clearer & louder, has less audience chatter, Doris pushed his record button earlier than I did so he captured the end oflast song played over the P.A, the audience reaction when they saw the Stones head to the stage in a coach plus the band introduction, whereas I hit record as the “2000 Light Years From Home” intro music started. A number of Stones enthusiasts including myself consider my recording to be one of the best of 1973 audience recordings.

The Australian tour tickets had the now famous Australian 1973 tour poster on them, tickets for all shows on the tour had the same design except every concert was printed in a different colour, the 1st Sydney show ticket was red, however I can’t nor can anyone else I've asked who also went to the 2nd Sydney gig can recall what colour the ticket was.

For the first time in Australian musical history the Stones tickets were forged, so when concert goers arrived at the venue Racecourse staff scrutinized every ticket, once declared to be valid the genuine tickets were not returned to the ticket holder, instead they were tossed into large cardboard boxes. If you were a holder of a forged ticked you were denied entry, the next night’s tickets were also forged, the same scenario happened with the genuine tickets which probably accounts why in the 50 years since I’ve never seen an original ticket for either Sydney show.

I attended this show as a 16yo, 8 days later I’d turn 17, I was accompanied by my bestie schoolmate Ruby, we’d brought our tickets the day they went on sale. 1973 was our first year out of school, both of us had started our first ever jobs in late January, which was a problem as the show was on a Monday & we wanted to get to Randwick early as possible on the day to obtain a decent position near to the stage, to achieve this we talked, more like pressured both mothers into phoning our places of employment to inform them that we were ill & wouldn’t be in to work that day.

I’d been buying mostly audience recorded bootlegs since 1970, which encouraged me for the very first time to tape a show, I can’t recall whose small cassette recorder it was but the mic I used was from my father's SONY big reel to reel tape deck.

Pre-Show
We made our way into the city to catch a bus to Randwick Racecourse (a journey of about 25 minutes) arriving just after 9.00 AM to find a small crowd had already gathered outside, which continued to grow as the day progressed, the gates didn’t open till 3:15 PM, once in line to enter we heard ahead of us a woman howling like a veritable banshee, she'd just been informed that her ticket was a forgery & was denied entry. When it was our turn staff examined our genuine tickets as well as a bag search (they didn’t detect the cassette recorder hidden inside my jacket at the bottom of my bag), once through we bolted stage ward managing to get a good position maybe about 30 rows back. We’d brought blankets to sit on, bottles of soft drink but no food as we thought we’d buy it there but with the crowd increasing we didn’t want to risk the chance of losing our pozzie while doing so. Thankfully food was provided by our kindly fellow concert going neighbours.

We two teenagers were the youngest in our area, those around us were older, we saw them as being old, in reality they had to be in their early to late twenty’s, the people next to us had brought picnic baskets full of food, soon after they’d starting tucking into their food they noticed us gawking at them eating & generously offered to share their food with us youngsters. Another memory of that day & into the evening before the show was the strong smell of grass, those not partaking would have become stoned all the same just by naturally inhaling!

I still remember some of the music played over the PA that day, like Cheech & Chong’s Big Bambu LP, this was the first time that myself plus I’d say a good proportion of the crowd had heard of them, it received such a good response with the crowd laughing that it was played again for a 2nd time, also some Who songs were played, the last song over the PA before the Stones came on was the Beatles “Don’t Bother Me”.

It had rained the night before, on the day of the gig the weather was sunny but albeit somewhat overcast, however there was a short rain shower before the support band but it never made another appearance. Jagger after “Brown Sugar” says, “God bless it didn’t rain”.

Around 8.00 PM the support band come on, an Aussie group named Headband, I remember @#$%& all about their music, but do remember the band had a female stripper on stage with them. The audience first saw her was when she emerged from a big sack ala John & Yoko, once out of the sack she galivanted about the stage, ditched her top then started shaking her tits at all & sundry like an antipodean version of Stacia the topless / sometimes naked dancer with UK 1970’s band Hawkwind, her breasts received more applause than the band did.

By now those of us in the front sections who’d been there for many hours began to get really pissed off as more people pushed forward in their quest to get closer to the front, it became so packed that we resembled human sardines. I was told later that some physical fights did occur, audience aggravation continued even after the Stones had hit the stage by 9.PM.

The stage had been set up directly in front of the racetrack, the back of it bordered the track the horses actually raced on. The stage was a streamlined but simple affair, the row of amps were clad in white covers with an open section running along the front so the musicians could get to the controls, at the top of the amps stage lights ran the length of them. At either end of the amp’s stairs led up to a walkway that was situated on top of the amps, from memory Jagger only ventured up there once or twice during the show. The two colourful fire breathing dragons painted on the stage floor used on the 1972 US tour were also used here.

After the support act depared every time there was movement on or near the stage such as vehicles moving on the race track the crowd would erupt thinking that the Stones were inside, which incited the crowd creating an even bigger upsurge to get nearer the front, then when nothing actually happened the crowd fell silent only to explode once again when they spotted more movement.

The Show
When the PA music stopped the audience erupted again assuming the show was about to kick off, when nothing happened they quietened down only to start up again, this time they kept on cheering. What the folks seated in the grandstands as well as those in higher further back areas could see that we couldn’t was on the left side of the racetrack heading towards the stage was a black open coach pulled by four white horses, in the coach were the Stones plus their backing musicians, an impressive way to kick off the night’s activities. From our position we were only able to observe the coach briefly as it got nearer to us before being obscured by the stage.

On arrival the band made their way up to the stage to a snippet of “2000 Light Years From Home“ played over the PA, then from stage left the Stones / backing musicians came into view. Mick was the last to appear with a handheld masquerade mask to his face which he quickly discarded while running from left to right across the stage. Then straight into “Brown Sugar”, the volume was incredibly loud, at times it over-powered his vocals, they were louder than Led Zeppelin who I’d seen the year before on the 27th February 1972. With the sound being so loud it’s a wonder that Doris’s & my recordings aren’t distorted, especially mine seeing I was taping down the front in the crush.

“Brown Sugar” marked the start of more upheaval in the audience. From the moment the Stones hit the stage those closest to the stage stood up which created a backwards domino effect, as we were directly behind them we also had to stand stood as we couldn’t see, add to this the people behind us now pushing us forward. With all the front sections now standing it pissed off those further back as their view was now blocked, the sit-down chants started up, quickly followed by various objects being thrown in our general direction such as assorted foods, soft drink cans, bottles. A favoured projectile heading our way were coins thrown with such force that they would have dead set hurt if one were hit in the head. One of the next day’s newspapers concert coverage mentioned that a 18yo girl been hit on the head from a thrown empty beer bottle. During the concert because of the crush in the front sections some women fainted. I personally saw a few that had fainted being lifted up, then they were passed person to person over the heads of the audience until they reached the stage barrier where they received medical attention.

Usually when folks at the front are blocking the view of those behind one hears the sit-down chant whereas on my recording when “Brown Sugar” ends you’ll hear a feller close to us yelling out “stand up”, he’d turned around to face the crowd behind us, at the same time he did get up hand gestures, this seemed to inspire them to stand up, well most of them however as some sit down’s can still be heard also there’s a distant down down down chant that can be heard just before “Love In Vain”.

For Sweet Virginia Mick donned a cowboy hat, on completing the song he says “You can have your hat back Newman” which means the hats owner is Newman Jones The Third who if I remember correctly at the time was Keith's guitar tech. Nice touch in “All Down The Line” is when Mick can be heard saying “C’mon Mick” to Mick Taylor just before he does his lead break. One of the numbers that got the crowd jumping & considered to be one of the highlights of the evening was “Midnight Rambler” in which Jagger did his party trick of taking off his belt then dropping to his knees belting the stage with it. I’m positive it was during the instrumental section in this song that Mick climbed up onto Nicky Hopkins piano, then laid down flat across it & proceeded to dry hump it like he was screwing the invisible woman!

When Mick came to do the band introductions he forgets to introduce Bobby Keys, when doing them the next night after introducing Bobby Keys Mick said, “Forgot him last night”. Bobby Keys during “Jumping Jack Flash” played a tambourine while dancing around. On one number, I’m sure it was in “Street Fighting Man” the last number of the night Ian Stewart & Jim Price sat either side of Nicky Hopkins at the piano for a quick tinkle on the ivories. As “Street Fighting Man” built to its finale Mick stood in the one spot with outstretched arms spinning around & around.

As soon as the song was finished off they went, I was surprised that they didn’t do an encore as it was an excellent performance to a responsive audience however despite the audience wanting more they did not return, on my recording a nearby pissed off gentlemen can be heard calling them bastards for not returning, instead we were bid farewell with “Land Of Hope & Glory” over the PA along with a fireworks display. Who knew that the band wouldn’t return to these shores until March 1995.

The next day’s newspapers ran stories that the fireworks had badly spooked the horses stabled at the Racecourse, so the powers that be at the Racecourse wanted the fireworks banned at the next night’s gig, however a compromise was reached with the fireworks to be set off a mile from the racecourse so not to spook the horses for a second time.

Jagger also performed the same spinning in “Street Fighting Man” at the 27th February gig but this time with hundreds of multi coloured ping pong balls being poured down upon him by roadies up above on the stage towers, part of this can be seen briefly in the Stones movie “Crossfire Hurricane”. Years later on my travels I met a roadie who worked on the tour who told me that they possibly brought every available ping pong ball in a mad dash all over Sydney, then spent all night spraying them assorted colours.

It’s this concert that Keith has famously been quoted as saying that he dropped acid before the show & on hearing a playback of the show back at Sydney’s Kingsgate Hotel he thought he played great. The 27th February 1973 show can be identified in photos by Micks jumpsuit being shredded from the knee down.

Unfortunately, that night security staff did a much more through search of my bag discovering the cassette recorder, which I had to hand over, I was given a receipt & told where I could collect it after the show. When I did I was taken back by the amount of recorders, camera’s & film equipment that has been confiscated pre-show. No recordings of the 27th show surfaced until 2004 when the Japanese Bootleg label VGP released it as VGP-110 “Welcome to Australia” in soundboard quality, I was told years ago by someone in the know that it was Ian Stewart whom had leaked the Sydney soundboards, but who knows if this is true.

It’s this concert that Keith has famously been quoted as saying that he dropped acid before the show & on hearing a playback of the show back at Sydney’s Kingsgate Hotel he thought he played great. The 27th February 1973 show can be identified in photos by Micks jumpsuit being shredded from the knee down.

Unfortunately, that night security staff did a much more thorough bag search discovering the cassette recorder, which I had to hand over, I was given a receipt & told where I could collect it after the show. When I did so I was taken back by the amount of recorders, camera’s & film equipment that has been confiscated pre-show. No recordings of the 27th show surfaced until 2004 when the Japanese Bootleg label VGP released it as VGP-110 “Welcome to Australia” in soundboard quality, I was told years ago by someone in the know that it was Ian Stewart that had leaked the Sydney soundboards, but who knows if this is true.

And more!
The Australian 1973 tour set list was basically the same as on the 1972 US Tour with two differences. The first being “Honky Tonk Women” which in 1972 was an occasional encore was now inserted into the middle of the set. The second change was that for the last 4 gigs of the tour “Bye Bye Johnny” was replaced with “Little Queenie", possibly because the live version from ”Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out” was released in 1971 as a single in Australia, reaching No 29 in the charts. It achieved respectable airplay so was a well-known Stones song to an Australian audience, it wasn't played live again until the 1997 Bridges To Babylon American tour.The Australian tour also introduced for the first time the horn section played during the intro of Gimme Shelter, this new intro debuted in Perth on the 24th February & was played at both Sydney shows,

All these years later I’m still asked by interested parties who know I attended Led Zeppelin’s Sydney 27th February 1972 concert plus the two Stones gigs a year later which would I rate as being the better of the concerts. Without a doubt even though I’m a Zeppelin fan the Stones Sydney February 1973 gigs were the superior shows, Zeppelin’s gig never reached the excitement levels that the Stones Sydney shows achieved, not in atmosphere, nor in audience enthusiasm or participation, the fact that Stones gigs were held on late summer nights helped add to the overall enjoyment.

The Zeppelin show was held in daylight so for a start it had a totally different feel / atmosphere, not helped by John Bonham’s tedious Moby Dick drum solo that seemed to last an hour instead of the 17 minutes itactually went for, it was a definite mood killer at that show not only for myself but a good portion of the audience that day, we just wanted him to stop.
On the upside Zeppelin gave us encores, the Stones didn’t.

I consider the Stones musicianship on the 1973 Australian tour to be a notch above the much loved 1972 American Tour. IMHO the band especially by the time they got to Sydney where running on all cylinders with extra fuel in the tank than the year before, add to this Jagger’s Australian performances he seemed to be far more energetic, more theatrical & flamboyant, for example look at him in Gimme Shelter & Happy in Deniz Teks recently surfaced 1973 Randwick audience shot footage. Jagger‘s mum is Australian making him half Australian, to this day Mick has many relatives living in Sydney who en masse always attend shows.

As I mentioned above 49 years after the show last year just over 9 minutes of silent colour audience shot footage of the Stones 26th February 1973 concert surfaced, shot very close to the action by Deniz Tek the well-known guitarist from the Australian band Radio Birdman.

You can watch Deniz’s Randwick 1973 footage here……….
[www.youtube.com]

It’s silent no longer as it’s now been sound synced with the 26th February Soundboard & heavens to Betsy the intro plus the start of “Brown Sugar” are taken from my recording! As are the last two tracks on VGP-173 “Rock’ N Roll Stew” used to complete the incomplete Soundboard of the 26th February.

The only bootleg release I’m aware of that has used my recording is The Rolling Stones “VIP Disked Joint” on the dubious Shaved Disc label taken from high generation cassette. This DIME torrent of course will be superior to any previous offerings.

Thanks to mjk5510 for his 2023 remaster.
Enjoy,
Waz

P.S. Please Nipponese Bootleggers can I have a copy when you put this recording out on CD!

Size 398.09 MB (417,423,664 bytes)
Added Sat 17th Jun, 2023 20:31 GMT

Snatched 208 time(s)
Upped by wazza50

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Date: June 18, 2023 16:57

hot smiley
WeTransfer please ...
Thank You in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-19 15:35 by mariano.

Posted by: 5strings ()
Date: June 18, 2023 17:27

Thanks for the review and the whole story , i will never ear it as before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-18 17:31 by 5strings.

Posted by: wiredallnight ()
Date: June 18, 2023 19:15

oops sorry I posted nonsense

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-18 19:19 by wiredallnight.

Posted by: sandandglue ()
Date: June 19, 2023 18:30

mariano
hot smiley
WeTransfer please ...
Thank You in advance

Seconded, please.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: June 23, 2023 18:27

Jack Bruce, Carla Bley & Mick Taylor
KB-Hallen
Copenhagen, DK
1975-05-14

gen: most likey 2nd gen of master
digital edit by mossa 2023-06:

01 Can You Follow?
02 Morning Story
03 Keep It Down
04 Pieces of Mind
05 Tickets to Waterfalls
06 -> Weird of Hermiston
07 Happy Birthday Jack
08 -> Spirit
09 Out Into The Fields
10 You Burned All The Tables
11 Without A Word
12 Time//slip
13 Smiles and Grins
Encore:
14 Sunshine of Your Love

Band:
Jack Bruce - Vocals, Bass, Piano
Mick Taylor - Guitar
Carla Bley - Organ, Synthesizer, Clavinet, Mellotron, Electric Piano
Ronnie Leahy - Piano, Electric Piano, Synthesizer
Bruce Gary - Drums

Notes:
- Jasck Bruce's 32nd birthday
- "Timeslpi" has a cut in middle (repaired)
- always thanks to LTB for the files

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: June 24, 2023 11:38

[www.transfernow.net]

dcba
The Rolling Stones Master Cassette Upgrade From Waz From Oz
Royal Randwick Racecourse,
Sydney, NSW Australia
26th February 1973

01. Audience > 2000 Light Years From Home Intro
02. Brown Sugar
03. Bitch
04. Rocks Off
05. Gimme Shelter
06. Tumbling Dice
07. Happy
08. Love In Vain
09. Sweet Virginia
10. You Can’t Always Get Want You Want
11. Honky Tonk Women
12. All Down The Line
13. Midnight Rambler
14. Band Introductions
15. Little Queenie
16. Rip This Joint
17. Jumping Jack Flash
18. Street Fighting Man > Audience > Land Of Hope And Glory with fireworks

2023 Remaster Thanks to mjk5510
Sydney 26th February 1973 Photos By Big Knob / Artwork By Waz From Oz
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1973 New Zealand / Australian Tour Dates
New Zealand
11th February Western Springs Stadium - Auckland - Taped x 2
Australia
14th February - Milton Park Tennis Courts - Brisbane, QLD - Taped
17th February - Kooyong Tennis Courts - Melbourne, VIC (2 Shows) - Taped x 3
18th February - Kooyong Tennis Courts - Melbourne, VIC - Taped
20th February - Memorial Drive Park - Adelaide, SA - Taped
21st February - Memorial Drive Park - Adelaide, SA
24th February - Western Australia Cricket Ground - Perth, WA - Incomplete SBD
26th February - Royal Randwick Racecourse - Sydney, NSW - Taped x 2 plus Incomplete SBD
27th February - Royal Randwick Racecourse - Sydney, NSW - SBD
This show had its 50th anniversary just under 4 months ago, this torrent is a remaster from my master cassette which was my first first attempt at recording a show.
Last year I torrented on DIME my mate Doris Deaths alternate source remaster along with different notes, memories & newspaper articles, see below

[www.dimeadozen.org]

The differences between Doris’s recording compared to mine are that my recording is somewhat clearer & louder, has less audience chatter, Doris pushed his record button earlier than I did so he captured the end oflast song played over the P.A, the audience reaction when they saw the Stones head to the stage in a coach plus the band introduction, whereas I hit record as the “2000 Light Years From Home” intro music started. A number of Stones enthusiasts including myself consider my recording to be one of the best of 1973 audience recordings.

The Australian tour tickets had the now famous Australian 1973 tour poster on them, tickets for all shows on the tour had the same design except every concert was printed in a different colour, the 1st Sydney show ticket was red, however I can’t nor can anyone else I've asked who also went to the 2nd Sydney gig can recall what colour the ticket was.

For the first time in Australian musical history the Stones tickets were forged, so when concert goers arrived at the venue Racecourse staff scrutinized every ticket, once declared to be valid the genuine tickets were not returned to the ticket holder, instead they were tossed into large cardboard boxes. If you were a holder of a forged ticked you were denied entry, the next night’s tickets were also forged, the same scenario happened with the genuine tickets which probably accounts why in the 50 years since I’ve never seen an original ticket for either Sydney show.

I attended this show as a 16yo, 8 days later I’d turn 17, I was accompanied by my bestie schoolmate Ruby, we’d brought our tickets the day they went on sale. 1973 was our first year out of school, both of us had started our first ever jobs in late January, which was a problem as the show was on a Monday & we wanted to get to Randwick early as possible on the day to obtain a decent position near to the stage, to achieve this we talked, more like pressured both mothers into phoning our places of employment to inform them that we were ill & wouldn’t be in to work that day.

I’d been buying mostly audience recorded bootlegs since 1970, which encouraged me for the very first time to tape a show, I can’t recall whose small cassette recorder it was but the mic I used was from my father's SONY big reel to reel tape deck.

Pre-Show
We made our way into the city to catch a bus to Randwick Racecourse (a journey of about 25 minutes) arriving just after 9.00 AM to find a small crowd had already gathered outside, which continued to grow as the day progressed, the gates didn’t open till 3:15 PM, once in line to enter we heard ahead of us a woman howling like a veritable banshee, she'd just been informed that her ticket was a forgery & was denied entry. When it was our turn staff examined our genuine tickets as well as a bag search (they didn’t detect the cassette recorder hidden inside my jacket at the bottom of my bag), once through we bolted stage ward managing to get a good position maybe about 30 rows back. We’d brought blankets to sit on, bottles of soft drink but no food as we thought we’d buy it there but with the crowd increasing we didn’t want to risk the chance of losing our pozzie while doing so. Thankfully food was provided by our kindly fellow concert going neighbours.

We two teenagers were the youngest in our area, those around us were older, we saw them as being old, in reality they had to be in their early to late twenty’s, the people next to us had brought picnic baskets full of food, soon after they’d starting tucking into their food they noticed us gawking at them eating & generously offered to share their food with us youngsters. Another memory of that day & into the evening before the show was the strong smell of grass, those not partaking would have become stoned all the same just by naturally inhaling!

I still remember some of the music played over the PA that day, like Cheech & Chong’s Big Bambu LP, this was the first time that myself plus I’d say a good proportion of the crowd had heard of them, it received such a good response with the crowd laughing that it was played again for a 2nd time, also some Who songs were played, the last song over the PA before the Stones came on was the Beatles “Don’t Bother Me”.

It had rained the night before, on the day of the gig the weather was sunny but albeit somewhat overcast, however there was a short rain shower before the support band but it never made another appearance. Jagger after “Brown Sugar” says, “God bless it didn’t rain”.

Around 8.00 PM the support band come on, an Aussie group named Headband, I remember @#$%& all about their music, but do remember the band had a female stripper on stage with them. The audience first saw her was when she emerged from a big sack ala John & Yoko, once out of the sack she galivanted about the stage, ditched her top then started shaking her tits at all & sundry like an antipodean version of Stacia the topless / sometimes naked dancer with UK 1970’s band Hawkwind, her breasts received more applause than the band did.

By now those of us in the front sections who’d been there for many hours began to get really pissed off as more people pushed forward in their quest to get closer to the front, it became so packed that we resembled human sardines. I was told later that some physical fights did occur, audience aggravation continued even after the Stones had hit the stage by 9.PM.

The stage had been set up directly in front of the racetrack, the back of it bordered the track the horses actually raced on. The stage was a streamlined but simple affair, the row of amps were clad in white covers with an open section running along the front so the musicians could get to the controls, at the top of the amps stage lights ran the length of them. At either end of the amp’s stairs led up to a walkway that was situated on top of the amps, from memory Jagger only ventured up there once or twice during the show. The two colourful fire breathing dragons painted on the stage floor used on the 1972 US tour were also used here.

After the support act depared every time there was movement on or near the stage such as vehicles moving on the race track the crowd would erupt thinking that the Stones were inside, which incited the crowd creating an even bigger upsurge to get nearer the front, then when nothing actually happened the crowd fell silent only to explode once again when they spotted more movement.

The Show
When the PA music stopped the audience erupted again assuming the show was about to kick off, when nothing happened they quietened down only to start up again, this time they kept on cheering. What the folks seated in the grandstands as well as those in higher further back areas could see that we couldn’t was on the left side of the racetrack heading towards the stage was a black open coach pulled by four white horses, in the coach were the Stones plus their backing musicians, an impressive way to kick off the night’s activities. From our position we were only able to observe the coach briefly as it got nearer to us before being obscured by the stage.

On arrival the band made their way up to the stage to a snippet of “2000 Light Years From Home“ played over the PA, then from stage left the Stones / backing musicians came into view. Mick was the last to appear with a handheld masquerade mask to his face which he quickly discarded while running from left to right across the stage. Then straight into “Brown Sugar”, the volume was incredibly loud, at times it over-powered his vocals, they were louder than Led Zeppelin who I’d seen the year before on the 27th February 1972. With the sound being so loud it’s a wonder that Doris’s & my recordings aren’t distorted, especially mine seeing I was taping down the front in the crush.

“Brown Sugar” marked the start of more upheaval in the audience. From the moment the Stones hit the stage those closest to the stage stood up which created a backwards domino effect, as we were directly behind them we also had to stand stood as we couldn’t see, add to this the people behind us now pushing us forward. With all the front sections now standing it pissed off those further back as their view was now blocked, the sit-down chants started up, quickly followed by various objects being thrown in our general direction such as assorted foods, soft drink cans, bottles. A favoured projectile heading our way were coins thrown with such force that they would have dead set hurt if one were hit in the head. One of the next day’s newspapers concert coverage mentioned that a 18yo girl been hit on the head from a thrown empty beer bottle. During the concert because of the crush in the front sections some women fainted. I personally saw a few that had fainted being lifted up, then they were passed person to person over the heads of the audience until they reached the stage barrier where they received medical attention.

Usually when folks at the front are blocking the view of those behind one hears the sit-down chant whereas on my recording when “Brown Sugar” ends you’ll hear a feller close to us yelling out “stand up”, he’d turned around to face the crowd behind us, at the same time he did get up hand gestures, this seemed to inspire them to stand up, well most of them however as some sit down’s can still be heard also there’s a distant down down down chant that can be heard just before “Love In Vain”.

For Sweet Virginia Mick donned a cowboy hat, on completing the song he says “You can have your hat back Newman” which means the hats owner is Newman Jones The Third who if I remember correctly at the time was Keith's guitar tech. Nice touch in “All Down The Line” is when Mick can be heard saying “C’mon Mick” to Mick Taylor just before he does his lead break. One of the numbers that got the crowd jumping & considered to be one of the highlights of the evening was “Midnight Rambler” in which Jagger did his party trick of taking off his belt then dropping to his knees belting the stage with it. I’m positive it was during the instrumental section in this song that Mick climbed up onto Nicky Hopkins piano, then laid down flat across it & proceeded to dry hump it like he was screwing the invisible woman!

When Mick came to do the band introductions he forgets to introduce Bobby Keys, when doing them the next night after introducing Bobby Keys Mick said, “Forgot him last night”. Bobby Keys during “Jumping Jack Flash” played a tambourine while dancing around. On one number, I’m sure it was in “Street Fighting Man” the last number of the night Ian Stewart & Jim Price sat either side of Nicky Hopkins at the piano for a quick tinkle on the ivories. As “Street Fighting Man” built to its finale Mick stood in the one spot with outstretched arms spinning around & around.

As soon as the song was finished off they went, I was surprised that they didn’t do an encore as it was an excellent performance to a responsive audience however despite the audience wanting more they did not return, on my recording a nearby pissed off gentlemen can be heard calling them bastards for not returning, instead we were bid farewell with “Land Of Hope & Glory” over the PA along with a fireworks display. Who knew that the band wouldn’t return to these shores until March 1995.

The next day’s newspapers ran stories that the fireworks had badly spooked the horses stabled at the Racecourse, so the powers that be at the Racecourse wanted the fireworks banned at the next night’s gig, however a compromise was reached with the fireworks to be set off a mile from the racecourse so not to spook the horses for a second time.

Jagger also performed the same spinning in “Street Fighting Man” at the 27th February gig but this time with hundreds of multi coloured ping pong balls being poured down upon him by roadies up above on the stage towers, part of this can be seen briefly in the Stones movie “Crossfire Hurricane”. Years later on my travels I met a roadie who worked on the tour who told me that they possibly brought every available ping pong ball in a mad dash all over Sydney, then spent all night spraying them assorted colours.

Unfortunately, that night security staff did a much more through search of my bag discovering the cassette recorder, which I had to hand over, I was given a receipt & told where I could collect it after the show. When I did I was taken back by the amount of recorders, camera’s & film equipment that has been confiscated pre-show. No recordings of the 27th show surfaced until 2004 when the Japanese Bootleg label VGP released it as VGP-110 “Welcome to Australia” in soundboard quality, I was told years ago by someone in the know that it was Ian Stewart whom had leaked the Sydney soundboards, but who knows if this is true.

Unfortunately, that night security staff did a much more thorough bag search discovering the cassette recorder, which I had to hand over, I was given a receipt & told where I could collect it after the show. When I did so I was taken back by the amount of recorders, camera’s & film equipment that has been confiscated pre-show. No recordings of the 27th show surfaced until 2004 when the Japanese Bootleg label VGP released it as VGP-110 “Welcome to Australia” in soundboard quality, I was told years ago by someone in the know that it was Ian Stewart that had leaked the Sydney soundboards, but who knows if this is true.

And more!
The Australian 1973 tour set list was basically the same as on the 1972 US Tour with two differences. The first being “Honky Tonk Women” which in 1972 was an occasional encore was now inserted into the middle of the set. The second change was that for the last 4 gigs of the tour “Bye Bye Johnny” was replaced with “Little Queenie", possibly because the live version from ”Get Yer Ya Ya’s Out” was released in 1971 as a single in Australia, reaching No 29 in the charts. It achieved respectable airplay so was a well-known Stones song to an Australian audience, it wasn't played live again until the 1997 Bridges To Babylon American tour.The Australian tour also introduced for the first time the horn section played during the intro of Gimme Shelter, this new intro debuted in Perth on the 24th February & was played at both Sydney shows,

All these years later I’m still asked by interested parties who know I attended Led Zeppelin’s Sydney 27th February 1972 concert plus the two Stones gigs a year later which would I rate as being the better of the concerts. Without a doubt even though I’m a Zeppelin fan the Stones Sydney February 1973 gigs were the superior shows, Zeppelin’s gig never reached the excitement levels that the Stones Sydney shows achieved, not in atmosphere, nor in audience enthusiasm or participation, the fact that Stones gigs were held on late summer nights helped add to the overall enjoyment.

The Zeppelin show was held in daylight so for a start it had a totally different feel / atmosphere, not helped by John Bonham’s tedious Moby Dick drum solo that seemed to last an hour instead of the 17 minutes itactually went for, it was a definite mood killer at that show not only for myself but a good portion of the audience that day, we just wanted him to stop.
On the upside Zeppelin gave us encores, the Stones didn’t.

I consider the Stones musicianship on the 1973 Australian tour to be a notch above the much loved 1972 American Tour. IMHO the band especially by the time they got to Sydney where running on all cylinders with extra fuel in the tank than the year before, add to this Jagger’s Australian performances he seemed to be far more energetic, more theatrical & flamboyant, for example look at him in Gimme Shelter & Happy in Deniz Teks recently surfaced 1973 Randwick audience shot footage. Jagger‘s mum is Australian making him half Australian, to this day Mick has many relatives living in Sydney who en masse always attend shows.

As I mentioned above 49 years after the show last year just over 9 minutes of silent colour audience shot footage of the Stones 26th February 1973 concert surfaced, shot very close to the action by Deniz Tek the well-known guitarist from the Australian band Radio Birdman.

You can watch Deniz’s Randwick 1973 footage here……….
[www.youtube.com]

It’s silent no longer as it’s now been sound synced with the 26th February Soundboard & heavens to Betsy the intro plus the start of “Brown Sugar” are taken from my recording! As are the last two tracks on VGP-173 “Rock’ N Roll Stew” used to complete the incomplete Soundboard of the 26th February.

The only bootleg release I’m aware of that has used my recording is The Rolling Stones “VIP Disked Joint” on the dubious Shaved Disc label taken from high generation cassette. This DIME torrent of course will be superior to any previous offerings.

Thanks to mjk5510 for his 2023 remaster.
Enjoy,
Waz

P.S. Please Nipponese Bootleggers can I have a copy when you put this recording out on CD!

Size 398.09 MB (417,423,664 bytes)
Added Sat 17th Jun, 2023 20:31 GMT

Snatched 208 time(s)
Upped by wazza50

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: June 24, 2023 13:20

Thank you dcba
and
Thank you Keessie

Date: June 24, 2023 14:16

thumbs up

Date: June 24, 2023 21:49

Broesel2404
Thank you dcba Wazza50
and
Thank you Keessie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-29 18:23 by dcba.

Date: June 24, 2023 22:45

Thank you for the link Keessie. Thank you dcba smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-24 22:47 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 25, 2023 10:10

Thank you Keessie

Date: June 27, 2023 17:20

Thanks Keessie!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4142434445464748495051Next
Current Page: 48 of 51

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2455
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home