Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

REQ: TOTP Video
Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: May 6, 2008 00:10

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case someone unknowingly has this Holy Grail:

Bitch/Wild Horses performances on TOTP 22 April 1971.

Low-grade versions of the audio circulate. I've yet to see any copies of the video.

Might as well toss in the 'other' performance of 'Honky Tonk Women' from July 1969.

Again, the audio is circulated, but not the video. The DECEMBER 1969 video version circulates. And this is NOT the Stones in the Park version.

And:

12/69 "Ten years of What?" BBC2: Let It Bleed (live vocal over backing track).
televised 12/28/69. Looks to have been recorded the same days as the Gimme Shelter/Honky Tonk Women promos.

Never hurts to ask.........

J

Re: REQ: TOTP Video
Posted by: mikey ()
Date: May 6, 2008 10:38

I remember seeing all these broadcasts and "The Let it Bleed" performance was filmed at the same time as "Honky Tonk Women" and "Gimme Shelter" which are familiar with Mick in the batwing black and red get-up and Keith wearing his Nudie the Tailor rhinestone top.All filmed December 1969.

Following info courtesy of the ever excellent Stones database:

12th December: UK TV (BBC/ZDF) 'Pop Go The Sixties', London.
- Gimme Shelter (MJ/KR) -live vocals on prepared backing track
Note: Televised on the 19th December.

12th December: UK TV (BBC) 'Top Of The Pops', London.
- Honky Tonk Women (MJ/KR) -live vocals on prepared backing track
Note: Televised on the 25th December.

12th December: UK TV (BBC2) 'Ten Years Of What?', London.
- Let It Bleed (MJ/KR) -live vocals on prepared backing track
Note: Televised on the 28th December.

There were two different films of "HTW" made in July of that year for Top of the Pops.

3rd July: UK TV (BBC) 'Top Of The Pops' , London, BBC Studio G.
- Honky Tonk Women 1 (MJ/KR) -probably live vocals on a prepared backing track
- Honky Tonk Women 2 (MJ/KR) -probably live vocals on a prepared backing track
Note: Version 1 was televised on the 10th, 17th and 31st July.
Version 2 was televised on the 7th, 14th and 21st August.

"Bitch" and "Wild Horses" filmed during the same performance of "Brown Sugar" with Mick in Pink Jacket and trousers although listed in the Stones database as broadcast on TOTP, was to my memory actually shown on the Old Grey Whistle Test which was hosted in those days by Richard Williams, it was broadcast prior to the broadcast of "Brown Sugar" on TOTP and there was an accompanying article on the forhcoming album with a black and white photo of Mick from the recent 1970 European tour on the first page of The Radio Times.

I've made enquiries about the existance of all these tapes and the news as regards the BBC archives (they were all BBC transmissions) is I am afraid not good. "Bitch" and "Wild Horses" were apparently amongst the tapes from the first season of OGWT transmissions the bulk of which were wiped, although fortunately the Rolling Stones special they did at the end of the season did survive and has circulated.

Similarly the July transmissions of "Honky Tonk Women" are missing believed wiped and "Let it Bleed" is in a similar state of limbo although I'm sure someone somewhere must have a copy - but the BBC archives themselves seem devoid of these broadcasts.

There is however always new and exciting stuff popping up such as the complete Australian Bandstand Stones performance from 1966 featuring five songs in total, including "Play With Fire" and "As Tears Go By" and the Hollywood A Go Go show from a very busy round of TV appearances in May '65.

Top of my Holy Grail list at the moment is the January '67 London Palladium appearance and the Time for Blackburn Show from May '68 with at least partial performances of "Jumpin Jack Flash" and "Satisfaction" from that year's NME Pollwinners concert, plus MJ interview.

Might also throw in "She Smiled Sweetly" from February 1967's Eamonn Andrew's Show. Which was performed live as opposed to sung to a pre-recorded backing track.

Re: REQ: TOTP Video
Posted by: mikey ()
Date: May 9, 2008 21:59

Sorry my memory is obviously f&%cked, Bitch and Wild Hoses were shown on TOTP on 22nd April 1971 a week after the first transmission of "Brown Sugar" on a short lived album spot. Other acts featured on this spot included the Kinks and Yes.

Apparently all the tapes of these broadcasts were wiped.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home