Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Eric Clapton Santa Monica 1978
Posted by: Bol ()
Date: January 16, 2008 19:57

From the Civic Auditorium 11th February 1978.

I recorded part of this show off the radio many years ago and only recently obtained the full set. The original broadcast included Blues Power and Key To The Highway and I've found out since that these tracks are actually from Dallas [15.11.76], so I have edited them in for myself because I was used to them as part of this recording.

101 Peaches & Diesel~Wonderful Tonight [rapidshare.com]
102 Lay Down Sally [rapidshare.com]
103 Next Time You see Her [rapidshare.com]
104 The Core [rapidshare.com]
105 We’re All The Way [rapidshare.com]
106 She’s In Love With A Rodeo Man [rapidshare.com]
107 Fool’s Paradise [rapidshare.com]
108 Blues Power [rapidshare.com]
109 Cocaine [rapidshare.com]
110 Badge [rapidshare.com]

201 Double Trouble [rapidshare.com]
202 Nobody Loves You when You’re Down and Out [rapidshare.com]
203 Let It Rain [rapidshare.com]
204 Knocking On Heaven’s Door [rapidshare.com]
205 Last Night [rapidshare.com]
206 Layla [rapidshare.com]
207 Bottle of Red Wine [rapidshare.com]
208 You’ll Never Walk Alone [rapidshare.com]
209 Key to The Highway [rapidshare.com]

Re: OT Eric Clapton Santa Monica 1978
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 16, 2008 20:31

What a coincidence, I'm listening to this show on CD right now...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-16 20:37 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 07:43

very good recording........killer version of "Cocaine". Snowman, I didn't know you liked EC. I have a bunch of EC shows.

Date: January 17, 2008 17:40

TumblingDice, I love the SLowhand era, but I'm not a completist;
maybe I'll contact you if there's something I'm looking for.
Concerning his 78 tour.... I think it's too bad that he didn't do "The Core" a bit faster; the Slowhand version is a lot better.
Still; it's a great show.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-22 23:40 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 17, 2008 18:39

Erik_Snow
TumblingDice, I love the SLowhand/Backless era, but I'm not a completist;
maybe I'll contact you if there's something I'm looking for.
Concerning his 78 tour.... I think it's too bad that he didn't do "The Core" a bit faster; the Slowhand version is a lot better.
Still; it's a great show.

Yeah, you know I don't actually have the Slowhand album so I don't think I've heard that version. 1975 is probably my favorite Clapton tour. But I've got alot of shows from the '77-'79 years too. Let me know if you're looking for anything or if you wanna see my list.

Date: January 18, 2008 20:01

Thanks TumblinDice, I've just ordered the 3lodgy version of Rolling Hotel, hope it's still available - but if it's not, then I'm looking for that DVD.
Have to say...that you better check out Slowhand, it's a terrific album - and even though the Santa Monica 78 concert is very good; all the studio versions on Slowhand are superior, IMO. Not too mention "Mean Ol Frisco"...which is spectacular - 2nd to last song of side B on Slowhand.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 19, 2008 06:35

Bol,

Is this all from your tape or is this from a bootleg label?

Posted by: Bol ()
Date: January 19, 2008 15:54

I recorded it from the Internet (as opposed to downloading it). Only Blues Power and Key To The Highway are from my original tape.

Date: January 21, 2008 05:34

Erik_Snow
Thanks TumblinDice, I've just ordered the 3lodgy version of Rolling Hotel, hope it's still available - but if it's not, then I'm looking for that DVD.
Have to say...that you better check out Slowhand, it's a terrific album - and even though the Santa Monica 78 concert is very good; all the studio versions on Slowhand are superior, IMO. Not too mention "Mean Ol Frisco"...which is spectacular - 2nd to last song of side B on Slowhand.

Yeah.....I don't have that DVD. Wish I did.

I've heard most of the Slowhand album before, but I've been waiting for an expanded Deluxe Edition reissue like 461 Ocean Blvd. That album has been reissued with a bonus disc of tracks taken from the Dec. 4th and 5th, 1974 London concerts at the Hammersmith Odeon. I was hoping they'd do something similar with Slowhand but if they do, they will probably just release parts of the Santa Monica show, which most people already have.

Have you heard the London 4/27/77 and/or Nagoya 9/30/77 soundboard recordings?

Date: January 21, 2008 08:19

Tumblin_Dice_07

No I haven't heard those ones; I'll look for them via torrents first, but thanks for offering...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-21 11:02 by Erik_Snow.

Date: January 21, 2008 19:04

Erik_Snow
Tumblin_Dice_07

No I haven't heard those ones; I'll look for them via torrents first, but thanks for offering...

They're both very nice performances and recordings. I gotta recommend the Heidelburg 6/17/77 show too. It's a very good audience recording but the performance is smoking. Check it out too if you get a chance.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 22, 2008 21:18

Erik_Snow

Is that the only song from Slowhand that was not played in this show. Prior to Slowhand nothing in the sets from "461 Ocean Boulevard", "No Reason To Cry", "There's One In Every Crowd". 3 songs from "Eric Clapton" debut solo.

Where does "Fools Paradise" and "She's In Love With A Rodeo Man" come from?

Date: January 23, 2008 00:58

The Sicilian

I haven't heard any studio versions of those ones...then again I'm not an expert on Clapton at all, don't even have all of his albums.
Maybe they were only performed live.....just like RS' Sweet Little Sixteen ?
I'm sure TumblinDice07 will know...

Date: January 23, 2008 06:11

Erik_Snow
The Sicilian

I haven't heard any studio versions of those ones...then again I'm not an expert on Clapton at all, don't even have all of his albums.
Maybe they were only performed live.....just like RS' Sweet Little Sixteen ?
I'm sure TumblinDice07 will know...

"Fool's Paradise" is (I think) an old Buddy Holly song that Clapton started covering around the time of the Slowhand album. To my knowledge, neither song was recorded for any of Eric's studio albums. I thought "Rodeo Man" would have been recorded for an album around '76/'77 but apparently not because I just had a look at an official discography and unless I just missed it, then it was never officially released.

"I Don't Know Why" is a really fantastic song on Clapton's first solo album. I think it's co-written by Delaney Bramlett and I know Eric did it live with Delaney and Bonnie. Really great song.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1740
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home