Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: December 8, 2007 05:41

I have just read the thread on "TELL ME" re: favourite USA bands and I added a comment re: The Replacements. While The Stones are taking a rest, I thought it may be opportune to post this gig (and a PS: re: track #19, I am not sure about!). Anyway, I first saw The Replacements in a down and dirty club in Vancouver, Canada - I can't remember what year, but it was July 4th, and they were absolutely pissed (on champagne). The gig was a shambles, and I left during their take on 'Honky Tonk Women' because it was really, really bad. Typical of The Replacements! However, I saw them two times afterwards, they were tight, and they blew the doors off the walls of the house.

They are truly a great band, Paul Westerberg is a brilliant songwriter, and all of their albums deserve listening to. Hope you enjoy.

01. Achin' To Be:
[www.gigasize.com]

02. Another Girl, Another Planet:
[www.gigasize.com]

03. Bent Out Of Shape:
[www.gigasize.com]

04.Can't Hardly Wait:
[www.gigasize.com]

05. Happy Town:
[www.gigasize.com]

06. Hey Good Lookin':
[www.gigasize.com]

07. Hootenany:
[www.gigasize.com]

08. I Don't Know:
[www.gigasize.com]

09. I Will Dare:
[www.gigasize.com]

10. I'll Be You:
[www.gigasize.com]

11. Meet Me On The Bus:
[www.gigasize.com]

12. Merry Go Round:
[www.gigasize.com]

13. Nobody:
[www.gigasize.com]

14. One Wink At A Time:
[www.gigasize.com]

15. Someone Take The Wheel:
[www.gigasize.com]

16. Swingin Party:
[www.gigasize.com]

17. Talent Show:
[www.gigasize.com]

18. Waitress In The Sky:
[www.gigasize.com]

19. When It Began:
[www.gigasize.com]

20. Within Your Reach:
[www.gigasize.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-08 19:40 by peter wilson.

Re: POST: The Replacements - Live 1990
Posted by: bass ()
Date: December 8, 2007 18:48

Peter Wilson, thanks! They sound sober here. Have you ever heard the bootleg they released called "When the Sh*t Hits the Fans?" Sounds like you lived through it one night. Absolutely hilarious.

Any details on this gig? Location? Date?

Yes, the "Mats" are anchored by Westerberg's talent, but they went through several "phases" and for those new to the group, I recommend starting with "Let It Be" then "Tim" then "Pleased To Meet Me".

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: December 8, 2007 18:54

bass Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Peter Wilson, thanks! They sound sober here. Have
> you ever heard the bootleg they released called
> "When the Sh*t Hits the Fans?" Sounds like you
> lived through it one night. Absolutely hilarious.

Including probably the worst rendition of Jumpin Jack Flash I've ever heard. Actually I seem to remember someone in the audience made a request for 'Jumpin Jack Flask'

Posted by: cds ()
Date: December 8, 2007 18:58

Best band in the world (next to the stones, of course)... lemme know if anyones interested in some unreleased stuff, and I can post it....

C.

Re: POST: The Replacements - Live 1991
Date: December 8, 2007 20:02

Bass, I have never heard the TwinTone cassette release of 'When The Sh*t Hits The Fans.' Would be interesting. The July 4 night that I saw them I was in a very small club in Gastown in Vancouver, BC (since closed, they used to have some great artists come and play there). The 'Mats were plastered, they could hardly stand, let alone play. Like I said a few years later I saw them play two more club gigs, and they were like a different band, spectacular.

I have edited the post date to 1991. I believe that this was their last gig (I downloaded it with no information from the 'net somewhere) and the boot is called "It Ain't Over 'Til The Fat Roadie Plays' because at various times the band members left the stage and had their respective roadies play in their place. You can hear Westerberg at the start of one of the songs saying something to the effect that ".....and that's why we're hanging it up." The concert was part of 'Taste of Chicago' and broadcast by WXRT - location Grant Park - July4/91.

Good recommendations by the way on albums to acquire for those who have never heard the band. 'Pleased To Meet Me' is a classic from start to finish and I play it often and with the volume cranked!!

There is a new book out on the band ('The Replacements: All Over But The Shouting: An Oral History' by Jim Walsh) and there is word that perhaps a CD boxset (with rarities) plus a DVD may be coming next year.

Date: December 8, 2007 20:19

Here's the gig on rapidshare. I bought a rapidshare account for 3-months and I love it for downloading.

[rapidshare.com]

Date: December 8, 2007 20:34

PW: I can tell you are a huge Mats fan. I will check out the book you mention. The liner notes inside their "All For Nothing/Nothing For All" compilation do an excellent job of setting the scene.

And that is the Grant Park / Taste of Chicago Show you posted and it is indeed their finale. Large outdoor gig, 30k+ folks, hot hot day, late in the afternoon (I think). I recognize the "I Will Dare" version and at the end of "I'll Be You" he jokes about the "smell of the food". I heard it live on the radio, living in Chicago at the time. I became big fan of theirs in mid 80s when Stones were no where to be found (winking smiley). They were a welcome discovery and a suitable replacement (poor pun I know).

I met them a few times and partied with them at Metro/Smart Bar in Chicago after the record release party for "Pleased to Me". Paul was sitting alone at the bar so I slid over and offered to buy him a drink (Rum and Coke, 2-fer one at the time). I was giddy, and probably acted like the typical amazed enthusiastic sycophant. I said something idiotic like "I think you can guys can be really big, really popular, much more than you are." He just shrugged and offered to make me their manager. When I asked what certain lyrics were (in "Left Of The Dial") he just look dumbfounded and said in total sincerity and concern for my question, "I don't know, what do you think I sang? I don't remember. The lyrics don't matter anyway." Which amazed me considering he is such a clever and creative songwriter.

I no longer have the bootleg "WTSHTF" or I would post it. I "borrowed" it from a friend who had the cassette and felt guilty for not returning it for 3+ years. I eventually mailed it back to him.

Date: December 8, 2007 20:42

bass, I am a huge fan. I hope that this thread turns a whole lot more people on to the band. If every Stones fan here purchased 'Pleased To Meet Me' as a Christmas present to themselves this year they would be very pleased with their acquisition. And, you are one lucky person to have met Mr. Westerberg, you should have taken him up on his offer to manage the band!!!!

Date: December 8, 2007 20:58

PW: The Mats pissed off a lot of people in the music business, a lot of big time people who stuck out their necks because they were charmed and seduced by the band. It probably cost the Replacements dearly in terms of popularity and finances, but then they professed not to really care. I must tell you, the most unexpected and shattering Mats discovery for me was later in the early 90s, the first solo album of T.Stinson as Bash and Pop, "Friday Night is Killing Me" and C.Mars first solo effort (?). I still listen to faves from that first Bash and Pop daily (on my iPod shuffle). You want to talk Stonesy, those two records were superb, albeit a little raw and crusty, and entirely under appreciated.

Date: December 8, 2007 21:14

Totally concur with that statement bass. Do you have guitarist Slim Dunlap's CDs 'Times Like These' released in 1996 and 'The Old New Me' released in 1993? The first and third tracks ('Rockin' Here Tonight' and 'Isn't It') on the latter CD sound like the X-pensive Winos! It could be Keith singing and playing guitar!

How many CD sales does it take to get a band in the charts? If everyone buys 'Pleased To Meet Me' we perhaps could have the 'Mats at number one by year end. Wouldn't that be a nice Xmas present for Josh Groban!!!!!!!! Let's start a campaign!!!!!

By the way, cds, bring it on. I for one would love to be able to get some more unreleased stuff from the boys. Kindly post when you get a chance.

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: December 9, 2007 18:12

I agree with Bass about the "Friday Night Is Killing Me" album by Bash & Pop. One of my favorite albums. There are a few obsure albums like that that have a very Stonesy sound with a great combination of acoustic ballads and weaving guitar rockers. Others I'd recommend for fellow Stones fans:

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds. There is a duet with Izzy Stradlin (the Keith Richards of Guns N Roses) and Ron Wood of Ron's Take A Look At The Guy. Also check out the song Shuffle It All.

Cracker's first two albums, "Cracker" and then "Kerosene Hat" are other must haves for Stones fans.

You can hear samples on Amazon:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]?

[www.amazon.com]

Date: December 9, 2007 23:25

Got 'em all iamwaiting. All very cool stuff

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 9, 2007 23:48

I saw the Replacements open for Keith in '88! They led the crowd in singing "Happy Birthday" to him (he wasn't onstage at this point). I think the actual gig was Dec. 17; it may have been the last show of the first X-Pensive Winos tour. It was in NJ.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: December 10, 2007 00:39

Hey Peter, I was at that show-it was July 4th, 1987 and the name of the club was the Town Pump...still there, now called Sonar but they seldom have live music any more ( wow, crazy, just as I started typing this a package showed up at the door and it's the 'Mats new book from Amazon! ). Yeah, they were hammered at that show. They opened with 'Sweet Home Chicago' and I do recall that they played 'Moonlight Mile' or part of it near the end. I also recall that Tommy said at one point "Sorry folks, I'm not really in the mood tonight".
Every other time I saw them ( '85, '89 and twice in '91) they were amazing. Definitely one of the best bands ever but they sure didn't do themselves any favours.

Date: December 10, 2007 02:39

andrewm, what a small world this is! thanks for reminding me of the date of the show that both you an I were at (and the name of the club!). I remember that in the summertime it used to get so hot in there that cigarette smoke/nicotine/ stains used to drip down from the ceiling, and my shirts always got ruined with the 'drip crap.' I'm going to go out and look for the book tomorrow - hope I can find it. I am off to England in a week's time so I will need a good read to accompany me on the flight along with the iPpod being fully loaded with tunes!

Posted by: cds ()
Date: December 13, 2007 19:27

FYI - I'll be posting some unreleased 'Mats soon......

C.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1842
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home