Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT Bob Dylan Radio Show Nov. 21, 2007 Here
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: November 25, 2007 18:27

Here’s Mister Dylan for the week (or, I should say, this past week). In the time honored tradition of the American holiday, Thanksgiving, Bob’s serving leftovers. This radio show was first broadcast in November of 2006 in time for the Thanksgiving holiday then.

The Thanksgiving holiday is always the fourth Thursday of November. It’s done to commemorate the Pilgrims coming to America and sharing a feast with the Native Americans who then inhabited the New England area of North America. Thus, this food sharing is the basis for our present Thanksgiving gatherings. The American meal tradition, for those who don’t know, is to usually serve a baked turkey with all kinds of side dishes – such as mashed or candied sweet potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, peas and carrots, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie and so on – and to have the family and friends over for dinner. Families here gather together more at Thanksgiving than at Christmas. The Thanksgiving holiday weekend, which for us starts the day before Thanksgiving running through the following Sunday, is the most heavily traveled period of the year.

Newspapers here on Thanksgiving morning are bulging with advertisements for the following morning sales at the local malls and stores. “Black Friday”, as the day after Thanksgiving is labeled by businesses, is so called because the sales for this day are supposed to help put the businesses into the black for the year and kick off the Christmas buying season. All kinds of incentives are used to lure shoppers to the stores and the sales begin at ridiculous times, generally 4 or 5 a.m., though, one of the malls in the area where I live ran advertisements claiming they would be open before anyone as the mall stores were going to open at 12:01 a.m., Thanksgiving night. People line up hours before the stores open to be first in the door for what are called early bird specials. (An aside: The only time I have ever lined up anywhere early in the morning was when a friend called and roused me from bed one night saying Stones tix were going on sale at 3 a.m., at the old Capital Centre in Largo, Maryland, on a first come first served basis. We were there two hours before the tix went on sale, slurping coffee and freezing our butts off – it was February and cold in Maryland – but we got tix for the two shows the Stones were doing at Largo. Boy, those were the daze….) I don’t see the groove in any of this Black Friday thing at all, but I try to avoid malls, only going to one when I realize I have no other choice; use locally owned stores, if possible, rather than chain stores; still use the same stereo equipment and speakers I bought over 30 years ago, despite friends telling me I should join the modern age; drive a 13 year old car. Don’t get me wrong…I like creature comforts as much as anyone, but don’t have a compelling need to constantly fill my life with things, unless you count the 2500 GB plus of music I have gathered off of the ‘Net. (Yes, a bit excessive, but y’all know how this works in terms of music or we wouldn’t be here on this part of the IORR site.)

Anyway, enough of the history lesson and pontifications. Here’s the stuff. Enjoy!

Music
[www.sendspace.com]

Art
[www.sendspace.com]
[www.sendspace.com]

Re: OT Bob Dylan Radio Show Nov. 21, 2007 Here
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: November 26, 2007 11:38

thanks for the show and the great pontifications!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-26 11:38 by Adrian-L.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1991
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home