Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Posted by: JMARKO ()
Date: October 12, 2007 02:48

[rapidshare.com]

Here's my reworked copy of this rough-sounding tape.

For the uninitiated, this is a room recording from late Feb. 1968, presumably recorded in R.G. Jones Studios, Morden, Surrey England. There is a lot of noise/hiss which I have attempted, through at least two passes, to minimize. I have also adjusted the pitch of the recording. I'm thinking of trying to eliminate a bit more hiss, but I'm not sure I can do that without affecting what listenable music there is.

The first batch of tracks are rehearsals of _extremely_ embryonic versions of No Expectations, Stray Cat Blues and Jumping Jack Flash along with a few blues/soul covers and untitled (or unidentified) songs/ideas. The description of the untitled tracks are strictly my own, used for reference purposes.

Later in the tape an interview is conducted with 3 of the Stones (Mick, Keith, Charlie). It is presumed, due to some of the comments in the interview, that Brian Jones is not present for these rehearsals (K:"Brian's in Paris, having his birthday."). Jimmy Miller is also interviewed - though someone begins playing piano during part of his interview. As the interviewer (Keith Altman) turns back to Jagger to ask about the choice of Jimmy Miller the tape suddenly is fast forwarded/rewound and splices back into the early version of Jumping Jack Flash.

Jimmy Miller is listed as 'producer' in Surrey. Whether the Stones actually recorded any tracks here has yet to be determined.
Miller was present at Redlands (Keith's home) during the same month when there were, reportedly, a few tracks recorded as well. No official tapes from that session have surfaced/circulated.
Eddie Kramer engineered the 'session.'

As you will find, most of the songs are incomplete versions, and there are several edits in the tape.

It sounds to me that this is a small handheld voice recorder -- possibly the interviewers, but doubtful he would use this as a reference -- recording somewhere in the room.

Re: POST: 1968 Surrey Rehearsals - reworked
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 12, 2007 06:03

you did an awesome job working on this , it's alot easier on the ears than the version i had before

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: October 12, 2007 09:42

good work...thanks.

the
phoenix now 11 1969,,it's hard to something better with he sound ,,

but here¨s one track "remastered" if you can do something better with it ?
i can post the whole show,,(if you want it)

[www.sendspace.com]
Phoenix Nov 11-01.mp3

[www.sendspace.com]
Phoenix Nov 11-02.mp3

Posted by: smudr ()
Date: October 12, 2007 17:48

great work....thank you very much!!!!!

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: October 23, 2007 21:10

Hello JMARKO!
Thanks for this; you obviously put much work into this!
By the way, I have an old vinyl bootleg called "The Devil Is My Name", which has various versions of "Sympathy For The Devil" from Olympic Studios in 1968.
The theme of the track you refer to as Untitled (Country March) is played there again towards the end of the session.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 23, 2007 22:11

Thanks for posting although I was not able to understand what I must do to download from the rapidshare site

Date: October 24, 2007 01:26

RANK STRANGER: I have a feeling that is, indeed a song or outtake I can't place. When I listen to it it sounds reminiscent of "On With The Show," but not quite.

NICOS: Not sure what youir issue with RapidShare is. If you click the link you should be taken to a page that offers "Premium" or "Free" colums. Assuming you don't have an account, hit the "Free" button. It should take you to the downloading link from there.

J

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 25, 2007 01:12

Thanks JMARKO I did that but I didn't see any link.. but........ I try it again

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 3, 2007 20:58

Please repost. Thanks.

Date: December 4, 2007 01:58

TooTough Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Please repost. Thanks.

Um, it's still there.

J

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 4, 2007 08:29

JMARKO Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TooTough Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Please repost. Thanks.
>
>
> Um, it's still there.
>
> J

Yes , it is, I clicked on the sendspace link. Sorry and thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-04 08:30 by TooTough.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: July 3, 2009 00:21

thanks... now I'm only looking for it in FLAC and Rotterdam rehearsals tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: teagueraw ()
Date: April 27, 2012 17:22

Hello,

I try to upgrade the Surrey Rehearsals sound too.
If you want to see my work : [wtrns.fr]
(in mp3 - 320 for the download, i'm working on higher quality).

But, I'm afraid that my source (VGP-108) not countains all the tracks.
Please could you send me a new link of your work ?

Many thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2415
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home