Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

San Diego '69 definitive version?
Posted by: Doolittle ()
Date: June 19, 2006 12:28

Hi to all my new friends!.
I now have 2 versions of this show on cd. I have a European 'digipack' which seems to have the full show, but suffers from distortion (especially on the vocals) & the 'Vinyl Gang' release 'It's No Hanging Matter' which has San Diego as disc 1. This version has great sound, but is incomplete & suffers from 'drop-out' especially on 'JJF'.
So, as there are many people here with alot more experience than me, I thought I'd ask you guys for some advice on which release of this (great) show is the best in your opinion?. Thanks in advance.

Re: San Diego '69 definitive version?
Posted by: Greg ()
Date: June 19, 2006 13:02

I haven't heard the ones you mention but Swinging Pig's version (San Diego 69 -TSP 214) is generally seen as the best audience recording of the '69 tour.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: June 19, 2006 13:58

hi..do a own version,,,put together the best ..onto own cd..

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: June 19, 2006 15:42

Hey!!!! my first bootleg...Stone age!!!!bought t in 78!!!

Date: June 20, 2006 00:18

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm still non the wiser though. I have heard the 'Swinging Pig' version & that is the same, or very similar to the digipack version I mentioned. The Vinyl Gang disc I mentioned has FAR better sound, but, as I said it's incomplete & has some 'drop-out'. The beginning of 'Midnight Rambler' is also missing.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: June 20, 2006 00:23

Doolittle, as I remember, TSP used an Oakland show for the missing pieces of San Diego.
The VGP release is a bit clearer or sharper, but many people prefer the TSP version....it's more eeeeh....good for the ears.
I prefer the TSP version, 'cos I couldn't afford the VGP release back then!
If you want the complete San Diego, you must buy "The Second Incarnation" (VGP)....different source....AWFUL quality :-)

Date: June 20, 2006 01:11

Date: June 21, 2006 00:40

if y.want it ? i can repost ,,,it..

Posted by: hajduk ()
Date: June 21, 2006 00:48

i agree!

Date: June 21, 2006 02:18

vancouver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if y.want it ? i can repost ,,,it..

Well that's a very generous offer! & one that I would be very grateful for, if that offer was aimed at me. It's by far the best audience recording from '69, but it's such a shame there are 'glitches' with the recording.

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: June 21, 2006 02:55

I love Carol from San Diego 69. Think it's better even than the Ya-Ya's version. It swings more.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: September 17, 2006 19:30

The swingin'pig release has some of oakland spliced into it listen to the start of Midnight Rambler on Liver Than You'll Ever Be and then San Diego. You'll hear Mick say at the start "Do I get a microphone for this or it doesn't happen" This can be heard on both releases then the San Diego recording cuts in after the first few bars!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-09-17 21:05 by Nasty Habits.

Date: September 17, 2006 20:48

Yeah, I wrote so above.
"Doolittle, as I remember, TSP used an Oakland show for the missing pieces of San Diego. "

Date: September 17, 2006 20:52

why not take the missing parts from The Second Incarnation" (VGP)....

and paste..together..??????????????..

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 17, 2006 21:30

vancouver Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why not take the missing parts from The Second
> Incarnation" (VGP)....
>
> and paste..together..??????????????..

Because the "missing parts" are simply not there, Vancouver! There were flaws in the orginal recording, and the Swingin' Pig simply used the missing parts from other shows to increase the listening pleasure. There are no flawless recordings from San Diego available, and all other boot labels either did not correct the flaws, produced their own "flawless" albums or simply copied and remastered from the Pig.

Date: September 20, 2006 11:20

ok.thanks !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1653
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home