Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

A couple of questions about the Abkco SACD's
Posted by: nick ()
Date: June 14, 2006 00:26

I am having a real hard time noticing what is the difference in the different takes of Ruby Tuesday and the stereo Satisfaction. I think my hearing is going because I do not hear any difference. Is it the mix? Aside from the Wide Stereo version of Satisfaction, they all seem the same.

Regarding More Hot Rocks, does everyone else have in their booklet: 2000 Light Years From (The Sun) ????

LOL, Here is a scan of mine:
[www.yousendit.com]

Re: A couple of questions about the Abkco SACD's
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 02:00

On the ABKCO SACD's as well as the 40 Licks, Ruby Tuesday is missing a vocal on the chorus compared to the old ABKCO and London releases.
On Satisfaction, the version on Big Hits and Hot Rocks has Brian's acoustic guitar in faint stereo sound. This version also has a cleaner, crisper drum sound, more snappy snare and cleaner cymbals. The version on Out of Our Heads and Singles collection is in mono and not as clear sounding.
The wide stereo version is on the London Hot Rocks 1 from 1985. Hot Rocks was released as two individual CD's as opposed to one double. I bought it in Canada as an import back in the Spring of 86. This CD was mastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound. On this version, Brian's acoustic guitar and Ian's piano play out of the right side while bass, drums, Keith's guitar are on the left. You can clearly hear all the notes Ian's playing versus the mono version where it's buried so far in the mix, it's hardly audible. This disc also has Get Off Of My Cloud and Mothers Little Helper in wide stereo sound as well as Play With Fire in stereo. As far as I know, it's the only CD that has these versions.
Probably difficult to find in North America since we got the ABKCO versions, although I'm sure it's not that rare if you check ebay or something similar.

Date: June 14, 2006 02:29

I was familiar with those awesome London Hot Rocks CD stereo mixes. However, it did take a pair of headphones, the music turned up, and following what you said in your post to hear the difference. I have to admit with the great quality of these new SACD's compared to the old Abkco versions it was hard. Thank you for the info!

I guess loud music and headphones are starting to take it's toll on me.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: June 14, 2006 04:58

Hi Nick,

If you go to the home page here and then click on Connections, you'll see a link to FAQ about the ABKCO Remasters. You'll find everything you'll ever need to know about the releases. Those two guys did an awesome job evaluating every song on all of the discs. Not sure if you've checked it out yet.

Date: June 14, 2006 07:20

I had seen that a few years ago and I do go back to it from time to time to refresh my memory on certain CD, songs, etc. They also give a comprehensive account of the "pre-SACD" issues also. The FAQ that Doug is speaking about is here:

[lukpac.org]

The premise of my personal Stones website is I cut out the crap and simply list what is pertinent and 99% of the songs are only listed once with repeticious and short edits will not get listed. You will see how titles like Flowers, More Hot Rocks and the Singles collection are abreviated.

So the SACD's come out and I made one of a few exceptions to that premise. I had Satisfaction listed on Out Of Our Heads as mono and on Hot Rocks as Stereo and I listed Ruby Tuesday on Between The Buttons only. In case you or anyone else is interested it's:

[manifestones.com]

Anyway, it was in discussion here on IORR about alternate and stereo versions that got me wondering about the 2 songs in question. I started listening to them and just didn't hear it. Once again I thank you for pointing out what to listen for. This has definitely sparked an interest in getting some of those London CD's, at least Hot Rocks 1 & 2.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home