Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: MP3 SHOULD BE BANNED!
Posted by: turd ()
Date: March 7, 2006 15:37

It's not as simple as popping into Sainsburys to buy a pork pie. The internet and particularly ebay is rife with crooks and even genuine sellers (and buyers)ignorant in the different types of format. Look how many people have posted, "Whats a flac file?"
At the end of the day, like it or not, people (unless they know better) will accept what they are given (or sold). They wont know what format it's been derived from, or how many generations down the line it is.

Posted by: Andy L ()
Date: March 7, 2006 15:46

Sure... that's why I've posted so much in this thread, so people can be educated and become more aware of what they're getting.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: March 7, 2006 15:51

Point taken... We all know we do wrong but dont have the gear or
the money nor the time to deal with the other fiile types.
That´s where we stand.
Speakin' for myself I can at times hear that mp3 destroys the
sonic pic. Those files (maybe 2-3% on my computer´s about 6-8,000
songs) I try to get in another form.

I still say most of ya complainin' havent ever heard a crappy vinyl;
and couldnt ever comprehend our Stone Age Men´s happiness over
any digital sound.

What I´m doin every night and most days is fetchin' ma ol vinyls
out there... And I would never apologize for that...
At times I let ya folks have a glimpse...

Posted by: bloodtv ()
Date: March 7, 2006 15:54

This has got to stop! Next topic please. Really, the stupid kind of right wing puritanical thinking that one person emitted on this board has got everyone in a tizzy. Sure, the board is for FANS. But not everyone has something to offer for trade or enough cash to buy...these are hard times financially, especially for those of us living in the U.S. It's a real sweet thing to be able to accept someone's gratitude and be able to download songs (not commercially available) for enjoyment.

I'm sorry, but I worked in a record store in New York City. I know how much CDs cost, and I know home much stores mark them up higher for a profit. As for commercially available stuff, it hardly gets traded here as downloads, as for the stuff that does get both uploaded and downloaded, its material that will, in most cases, never see the light of day.

Next topic...

Date: March 7, 2006 15:57

Actually, quite a few Stones bootlegs sound better on vinyl than CD, never mind MP3. The best example is probably Welcome To New York, which sounds so much better without The Swinging Pig's noise reduction that you get on all the CD versions.

Date: March 7, 2006 16:02

bloodtv Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But not everyone has something to offer for trade
> or enough cash to buy...

With the methods I've suggested (weeds, vines, B&Ps), you don't need to have anything to offer for trade.

>
> I'm sorry, but I worked in a record store in New
> York City. I know how much CDs cost, and I know
> home much stores mark them up higher for a profit.
> As for commercially available stuff, it hardly
> gets traded here as downloads, as for the stuff
> that does get both uploaded and downloaded, its
> material that will, in most cases, never see the
> light of day.
>

Nobody's objecting to uploading and downloading - non-comemercially available stuff should be distributed for free - just the format it's in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-07 16:09 by Andy L.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 7, 2006 16:05

Let me say this, this like it or not this thread has been both imformative and debated from both sides of the issue and maybe a few others. One of the more interesting posts I've read in while--from a technical standpoint.

That is how ideas are developed, and to some people a better understanding of the different formats that are being used, web sites for software, and of course a look into what different users find compatible for their systems and tastes to a form of entertainment that has been around for centuries--Music.

Always be open to ideas, whether you think you have all the answers or not. I love to hear what you all use in your systems, because with all the time limitations we all have, it is difficult to have the time to try out everything but rather, hopefully rely on the opinion of a well meaning poster who has tried something and passes on their legitimate results. Because what you post, I may tell this person and he may tell that person and away we go.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: March 7, 2006 16:33

Actually, it's quite easy to see if a file is mp3 sourced, all you've got to do is open it up in a frequency analyser. This is from MR Paris '76. I used the wav file as is, then I converted it, first into an mp3 @192bits, & then into a wma also @192bits

The top one is a wav, notice the frequencies go all the way across past 20k. The mp3 loses everything @ around 16k, while the wma cuts out around 19k.

Date: March 7, 2006 16:44

Vox,

How much of a song is played before the dropoff occurs? Or is it the whole cd? At the point of dropoff what happens to the music?

Date: March 7, 2006 16:45

The Sicilian Wrote:
> > Vox,
>
> How much of a song is played before the dropoff
> occurs? Or is it the whole cd? At the point of
> dropoff what happens to the music?

The horizontal axis isn't the time of the song, it's the frequency...

Posted by: JoeHill ()
Date: March 7, 2006 18:40

Trading is a thing of the past when all the music is free on bittorrents.

Date: March 7, 2006 18:56

Joe,

What is bittorrents?

Date: March 7, 2006 19:06

Sites like - people share in boots in WAV or compress FLAC format - none of the buy or trade stuff.

The Wonderful Rockoff -

[rollingstones.kicks-ass.org]

www.dimeadozen.com

[www.torrentbox.com]

Persons who buy boots off of e-bay, what can you say, dumb people will do dumb things.

Date: March 7, 2006 19:09

I have always wondered..Can the human ear hear actually hear in the 16-20 hz range and isn't this mostly where tape hiss for older live boot shows reside?

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 7, 2006 22:22

All you have to do is state in an e-mail or letter specifcially what you will or will not accept as far as trades are concerned. I have over 500 shows and to be honest I do not know 100% what shows are mp3 formatted. I couldn't tell you either way for sure. I have never downloaded any shows myself and have only done snail mail with people from Japan to Europe and down to South America and Australia. I have found the experience fantastic and have made some great friends along the way. Try your best to trade in good faith with whatever trader you are trading with and not make anybody pissed - I hope I have succeeded in this regards. But if I can never be certain about a show, or format of a recording then I will let a fellow trader know - if they ask. Otherwise I assume they are just wanting to hear what great sounds the Stones have been making and smile, dance, get drunk, whatever...while they listen.

If you are specific in what your wishes are with other traders, then you should never be disappointed. But I personally believe if you make too many demands then you'll end up missing out on some great stuff.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 8, 2006 05:36

So, do you any of you wanna post some of those WAV files via Rapidshare or Yousendit or whatever?

Posted by: crash ()
Date: March 8, 2006 06:03

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> So, do you any of you wanna post some of those WAV
> files via Rapidshare or Yousendit or whatever?

...F*CK YEAH!!!!!!... bloody good call, bassplayer617!!!... let 'em put their money where their mouth is...

...OK, so would any of you members of the wannabe "thought police" care to step up and be counted???... bassplayer617 has thrown out a challenge to each and every one of you - and I back him 100%...

...so, how about it, guys???... time to PUT UP or SHUT UP!!!...

...really looking forward to seeing how many takers there are on this one...

Date: March 8, 2006 07:07

Well, I guess you challenge guys have never upload music files for sharing.

The big problem is upload and download speeds are significantly different - no matter what type of internet connection one uses. Downloading is a breeze - uploading takes forever even with my high speed cable. Uploading one typical WAV files (30-40 Mcool smiley seems to takes forever or about 30-60 minutes. Uploading a whole show or boot of 14-20 songs in WAV would take about 7-10 hours. This is fine for an occassional bittorrent upload - when the rare time issues will allow - but not for posting on boards like these. I personally don't have big chucks of 7-10 hours frequently to sit around uploading WAV files.

Challenge back hot shots - Y'all upload 14 song in WAV to this board & I'll match your post. Things will become very clear - very quick.

On my high speed cable connection, based on www.InternetFrog.com speed test these are my connection numbers -

download speed = 3,880,000 bits/sec (Mb/sec)
upload speed = 329,000 bit/sec (Kbps/sec)

This is cable so about as good as one gets -

Typical average WAV file is 30,000,000 bits (40 Mcool smiley

30,000,000 bits/329,000 bits/sec =

Date: March 8, 2006 07:10

Oops - Challenge guys - sorry - you were making my point.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1691
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home