Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

You Got Me Rocking - Sax Version
Posted by: imthemastah ()
Date: December 25, 2023 04:04

This is a mono file from a multi-generation recording from a videocamera in the studio listening to playback right after David McMurray recorded a sax track. Quality is not the best, but maybe a curiosity.

[we.tl]

Re: You Got Me Rocking - Sax Version
Posted by: mariano ()
Date: December 25, 2023 04:08

smoking smiley

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: December 25, 2023 04:30

Thank you. smileys with beer

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: December 25, 2023 06:58

thanks

interesting there really seems to be a nearly endless amount of alternate versions of this song

don't suppose you have some back story on the reason this video was made

was it just someone's home movie or part of an attempted documentary or tv segment?

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: December 25, 2023 10:01

Thanks a lot, very interesting upload!

There is also a famous jazz sax player named David Murray

[en.wikipedia.org])

but on this track we hear David (or Dave) McMurray (from the Don Was circle)

[relix.com]

"While the sax player may be best known in jazz circles, he is also a member of the innovative musical collective Was (Not Was), initially appearing on the group’s 1981 self-titled debut album at the behest of future Blue Note label head, Don Was. Over the years, McMurray has also worked with B.B. King, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Bonnie Raitt and many others."

He is also on the released Voodoo Lounge takes of Brand New Car and Suck On The Jugular.

[en.wikipedia.org]

N

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-25 10:15 by NeddieFlanders.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: December 25, 2023 10:37

Thank you very much for sharing this.

Merry Christmas!

Date: December 25, 2023 18:55

ProfessorWolf

was it just someone's home movie or part of an attempted documentary or tv segment?

It's very poorly shot - the audio is unintelligible and the visual is often dark, and it is mostly tedious handheld footage where nothing is going on. I don't know what the ultimate intention was, though. Maybe it's just the idea to have someone filming everything just in case?

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: December 28, 2023 00:45

Thanks!

Date: December 28, 2023 01:52

imthemastah
ProfessorWolf

It's very poorly shot - the audio is unintelligible and the visual is often dark, and it is mostly tedious handheld footage where nothing is going on. I don't know what the ultimate intention was, though. Maybe it's just the idea to have someone filming everything just in case?

thanks

now not to press my luck but do you have this video and if so can you share it too

i understand if you can't or don't want to

but you've already shared quite a bit here so i'm no complaining either way

between you and glimmerman you've made this quite an intersting holiday season for us stones freaks

thanks and have a happy new year

Date: December 28, 2023 03:23

It'd be great if there was someone I could entrust the tape to who is technically inclined to rip it and clean it up, or alternatively who could guide me through some of it, and ultimately take ownership of what's going to be a large file.

Date: December 28, 2023 07:24

imthemastah
It'd be great if there was someone I could entrust the tape to who is technically inclined to rip it and clean it up, or alternatively who could guide me through some of it, and ultimately take ownership of what's going to be a large file.

I can give you a hand, if it's a VHS tape. It can be transferred to an MP4 Video and WAV audio. Just let me know.

Date: December 28, 2023 08:23

i have the equipment and some experience with that myself

however there are others here who are much more experienced and better equiped then me

if you started a thread asking for help converting it i'm sure someone would offer to assist you

but if you don't mind i had a few questions

am i to assume that only the audio of the tape has been digitized?

what format is it vhs, beta, u-matic or some kind of mini cassette for camcorders?

what's the condition of the tape?

what's the length?

and could you go into more detail about what's on it?

hope i'm not prying to much but you've got me very curious

also as for walking you thru it i might be able to do that

there's a couple ways you could go about this

first method

you would at the very least need a vcr and a cheap usb video capture device like this amazon and a computer with (depending on the length of the tape) about 100-300gb free on the hard drive

also three pieces of free software virtualdub for capturing the video, handbrake for compressing the raw video file, and winrar or 7-zip for compressing it into multible files under 2gb for sharing on we transfer if the video ends up being larger then 2gb when finished that is

this video goes thru how to do this pretty well

method two

you could use a dvd recorder like this ebay to record the tape to dvd in a similar way one would have recorded one tape to another back in the day

you connect the vcr to the dvd recorder with rca cables (the yellow red and white cables) and the dvd recorder to a tv

then you load the tape into the vcr and press play and then (with a blank dvd in it) you press record on the dvd recorder

once the tape has finished you press stop on the dvd recorder and then going into the menu and finalize the disc

now put the dvd into a computer (and using the above mentioned software handbrake) compress and rip the video on the dvd to a mp4 video which you could then share

this would be a bit simpler and quicker but would result in a slight loss in quality

method three

this would be the most easy solution for you

you likely have a business near you that converts video and film to digital formats for a price

this would likely also result in the best quality since these folks will be professionals with access to professional (and very expensive) equipment like time base correctors that would help stabilize and clean up the picture

any of the above mentioned methods done right will result in a pretty good transfer though with little difference in quality

i know this all sound dreadfully overly complex but i assure you it's really not as difficult as it seems

and can be a pretty useful skill to have if you have a large collection of tapes that you'd like to back up

Date: December 28, 2023 17:56

I have an adapter and can rip to a file using Quicktime. It'd be great to have someone who will take the resulting very large file and optimize the picture and sound, and put it into a shareable form, etc.

Obviously they'd want to work with the least compressed version, etc. - it would be better if someone who knows what they are doing could take this on, rather than say my subjective taste and limited experience with the various settings in Handbrake, Audacity, etc.

Date: December 28, 2023 19:06

imthemastah
I have an adapter and can rip to a file using Quicktime. It'd be great to have someone who will take the resulting very large file and optimize the picture and sound, and put it into a shareable form, etc.

Obviously they'd want to work with the least compressed version, etc. - it would be better if someone who knows what they are doing could take this on, rather than say my subjective taste and limited experience with the various settings in Handbrake, Audacity, etc.

I can try my best, if you want to.

Date: December 28, 2023 21:31

Dear imthemastah,

thanks again for your rarities uploads. I tried to make these tracks a little bit more listenable and declicked them. It's hopefully ok for you, that I'm posting those here.

Declicked versions:

[we.tl]

Date: December 29, 2023 04:54

if you could find some kind of reasonable way to transfer the raw video online i could give it a shot as well

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: December 29, 2023 20:06

Thanks BT2G for the 3 declicked versions.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: December 30, 2023 16:41

You do nice work BT2G!

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: December 30, 2023 20:15

THX

Date: January 1, 2024 18:11

Here's the whole video.

[we.tl]

Hoping that ProfessorWolf and/or BlueTurns2Grey can work with it to fix aspect ratio and otherwise clean up audio and video. I'm not intending to re-upload because what I posted is a working copy so that there's eventually a better version that's shareable more broadly.

(Plus, there are people out there with better copies than I have, maybe we'll hear from them)

(I've got a Steel Wheels video in a similar vein, that if it isn't already in circulation, I can share once we're in a good shape with this one)

Date: January 1, 2024 20:09

imthemastah
Here's the whole video.

[we.tl]

Hoping that ProfessorWolf and/or BlueTurns2Grey can work with it to fix aspect ratio and otherwise clean up audio and video. I'm not intending to re-upload because what I posted is a working copy so that there's eventually a better version that's shareable more broadly.

(Plus, there are people out there with better copies than I have, maybe we'll hear from them)

(I've got a Steel Wheels video in a similar vein, that if it isn't already in circulation, I can share once we're in a good shape with this one)

Thank you very much for sharing this rarity. I'll do my best to rework this footage and will post it soon here.

Posted by: no satisfaction ()
Date: January 1, 2024 20:14

Hi ! even if this is the raw vidéo version, it remains a magnificent discovery for me! Thank you for that !spinning smiley sticking its tongue outthumbs up

Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: January 1, 2024 20:40

fantastic! thanks a lot! I will certainly use it to do a VL complement!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-02 00:45 by StonyRoad.

Posted by: werther2003 ()
Date: January 2, 2024 00:53

imthemastah
Here's the whole video.

[we.tl]

Sax Versions Video - DVD with fixed aspect ratio
[we.tl]
[we.tl]
[we.tl]
[we.tl]

Date: January 2, 2024 01:44

thumbs up

Date: January 2, 2024 10:53

werther2003
imthemastah
Here's the whole video.

[we.tl]

Sax Versions Video - DVD with fixed aspect ratio
[we.tl]
[we.tl]
[we.tl]
[we.tl]

thanks

and i'll give it a shot too

i'm just slower and i've spent all day working on a update for my detroit 69 video so i haven't been able to get to this yet

that steel wheels video sounds promising as well

the only clips of them in the studio recording steel wheels that i know of are the ones in 25x5

if your video is from the same source that could be very interesting indeed

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: January 19, 2024 22:45

Thanks for sharing !

What's on that "Steel Wheels" video you mentioned ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: January 20, 2024 14:19

NeddieFlanders
Thanks a lot, very interesting upload!

There is also a famous jazz sax player named David Murray

[en.wikipedia.org])

but on this track we hear David (or Dave) McMurray (from the Don Was circle)

[relix.com]

"While the sax player may be best known in jazz circles, he is also a member of the innovative musical collective Was (Not Was), initially appearing on the group’s 1981 self-titled debut album at the behest of future Blue Note label head, Don Was. Over the years, McMurray has also worked with B.B. King, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Iggy Pop, Patti Smith, Bonnie Raitt and many others."

He is also on the released Voodoo Lounge takes of Brand New Car and Suck On The Jugular.

[en.wikipedia.org]

N

Thanks for the info.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2284
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home