Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: Mick TAYLOR: Maidenlane FRANKENSTEIN's Versions Vol 23 - 1993.05.07 - NYC (The Grand) with TUMBLIN' DICE - THE LAST ONE
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: October 18, 2023 13:35

The Maidenlane Recordings:
a Mick Taylor tribute
Long-time Mick Taylor fan Maidenlane taped a number of Mick’s gigs on the East Coast (mainly in New York City) between November 1986 - May 1993 to preserve his own memories. Around the same time Mick Taylor lived in NYC and thus did a lot of concerts there, with his own bands or as a guest artist with other great musicians.
In our first series we first published the concerts that had never been circulated in any form. By listening to the others we discovered that many of his alternative recordings were interesting too. In the second series we publish the “Maidenlane Tapes Alts” which will feature recordings that are either in better sound quality, more complete or sound differently from previous releases.
In this last series we present the result of mixes and merges which will be similar to the Frankenstein productions (of my FP-series): by “mixing” I mean that I simultaneously record the 2 sources and by “merging” I mean that I record each source on a different channel (one for the left channel and the other for the right).
Of course, we are very grateful to Maidenlane and I also would like to thank nzb for his help (his advice, judgements and expertise have been invaluable to me).

……………………………………….
The Maidenlane FRANKENSTEIN’S VERSIONS
Volume 23
NEW YORK CITY
The Grand
(7th May 1993 – 2 sets)

7th May 1993: TUMBLIN' DICE. New York City, The Grand
Line-up: MT (gtr, voc)/Babi Floyd (voc)/Bobby Keys (sax)/Ivan Neville (keyb, voc)/
Michael Neville (bass)/Adolfo ‘Fofi’ Lancha (dr)

CD1: set 1
01 - tuning
02 - I Wonder Why
03 - Mojo Hannah
04 - Baby What You Want Me To Do
05 - Hell To Tell
06 - You Shook Me
07 - band introduction #1
08 - Can’t You Hear Me Knocking

CD2: set 2
01 - tuning (first 35 seconds solely from Maidenlane)
02 - Padlock
03 - Boogie Man (with patch from Maidenlane recording from 5’45 to 6’33)
04 - Soul Serenade
05 - You Gotta Move
06 - Iko Iko
07 - Goin' South (with patch from Maidenlane recording from 7’38 to 7’59)

Bonus: Boogie Man (merged version: left = previous version /right = Maidenlane recording)

The version already posted as Volume 06 of the “Tumblin’ Dice Series” is very good but Maidenlane’s recording for the 2nd set is interesting: it has a more complete tuning part, a complete version for ‘Boogie Man’ (where about 47 seconds had been lost due to the tape flip*) and for ‘Goin’ South’ (where about 20 seconds had been lost due to the same reason).
* Because the 2 segments had been skillfully reconnected, we had not perceived this significant gap before.
Here we provide to you a more complete version, using most of the previous version but completing it with 3 patches coming from the Maidenlane recording.
Note that CD n°1 is the same as the Volume 06.
I like the merged version for ‘Boogie Man’ but because of a lack of space I only added it as ‘hidden track’ so you can keep it (and add it on CD n°1)… or not.

As usual all the infos are taken from The Mick Taylor Complete Works Database by Nico Zentgraf: [www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted in 2023 by StonyRoad on IORR: [iorr.org]

link valid until 25/10/23
[we.tl]

this is the last one from the Maidenlane's series: it was a real pleasure to discover this recordings... I can't thank you enough Maidenlane !

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-18 13:36 by StonyRoad.

Re: POST: Mick TAYLOR: Maidenlane FRANKENSTEIN's Versions Vol 23 - 1993.05.07 - NYC (The Grand) with TUMBLIN' DICE - THE LAST ONE
Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: October 18, 2023 13:53

Thank you Norbert for the Mick Taylor series with thanks to Maidenlane, the generosity is much appreciated.

Re: POST: Mick TAYLOR: Maidenlane FRANKENSTEIN's Versions Vol 23 - 1993.05.07 - NYC (The Grand) with TUMBLIN' DICE - THE LAST ONE
Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: October 18, 2023 14:18

Thanks to you and Maidenlane for this long and great series! Must have been a helluva work!

N

Posted by: eibert ()
Date: October 18, 2023 14:28

Norbert, thanks for all these beautiful uploads

Eibert

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: October 18, 2023 16:06

Norbert,

thank you for sharing all those dozens of albums over the past months.
Good health to you, you must be exhausted by now I presume. At least I'm a little... winking smiley

Let it rock!

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: October 18, 2023 17:22

Thanks a lot! All of you, of course!

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: October 18, 2023 19:01

Thanks to Maidenlane and thanks for your fantastic work on this great series. smileys with beer

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: October 18, 2023 19:38

Thanks again for the last but not the least.
thumbs up

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: October 18, 2023 20:34

THX

Maidenlaine; Must have been wonderful attending and taping these shows.
Norbert; Thanks for your work and posting them here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-18 20:37 by stonesmuziekfan.

Posted by: maidenlane ()
Date: October 18, 2023 23:20

stonesmuziekfan
THX

Maidenlaine; Must have been wonderful attending and taping these shows.
Norbert; Thanks for your work and posting them here.

As decades flew by I realized there were still 15-16 shows I had recorded for which other recordings had not yet surfaced. On March 28, I wrote to you, StonyRoad and nzb about what could be done because of your longstanding contributions to the Stones-related community and the obvious care for accuracy which I observed in all you do.

Now less than 7 months later, due to collaborative effort, we have 16 "new" Mick Taylor shows, 24 "new" alternate sources, 23 "Frankensteins" (a name that does not do the results justice, as they are "Marvels" of clever research, sound engineering and fastidious completeness) and 4 Complements (recordings by others that are logically related to those of these series). 67 productions in all.

All that said, with all four contributors taking the longer and harder road to do their best work, StonyRoad did at least 90% of it all.

I believe it was many, many hundreds of his hours of work that made it happen. His total output here is well beyond my wildest dreams when this all began.

I hope everyone will check their closets and hard drives for rare Stones-related recordings (especially, but not exclusively, of Mick Taylor) and get them out there to the community for their enjoyment, the preservation of history and the legacy of these incredible musicians.

No commercial enterprise would or could invest in the preservation and attractive and accurate presentation of even a tiny fraction of this music the way the fans do -- it makes no "economic" sense, but it makes sense for humanity that people volunteer their valuable time to do it.

Thanks SR, nzb and stonesmuziekfan, and everyone else who has put music out there freely that I have enjoyed for thousands and thousands of hours over the past decades.

And thanks to IORR (bv) for giving us a place to talk.

Looking forward to the next project of StonyRoad and Friends.

(And yes, it was a blast back in the day, seeing a "Rolling Stone" play up close and personal every few months in NYC in the late 1980s! Something unimaginable to me just a few years earlier.)

Posted by: gaizoku ()
Date: October 19, 2023 04:47

Thank you.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: October 19, 2023 06:41

Thanks so much for this series!

Posted by: Fritz4You ()
Date: October 19, 2023 10:50

Thank you for all.
Fantastic series.

Juergen

Posted by: Broesel2404 ()
Date: October 19, 2023 12:51

Thanks for this series
smileys with beersmileys with beer

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: October 19, 2023 14:53

Thanks a lot for the enormous effort and passion doing this series Norbert!
Of course many thanks to Maidenlane for sharing your tapes and for giving details!
And thanks to all contributors too!
smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2170
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home