Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Ripping Blu Ray Audio?
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: October 12, 2023 12:44

Hello,

Complete dumb-ass question/First World Problem from a technical Terry Fu*kwit incoming...

I have the Blu Ray Audio disc of 'Quadrophenia' (the original 1973 mix) and instead of listening to it via a Blu Ray player and a surround system, is it possible to rip the audio from the Blu Ray to my MacBook, save it to a memory stick or burn it to a CD and then play the hi-res file through my slightly more hi-fi er, hi-fi?

I also have the latest DSOTM Blu Ray disc on its way so would like to do similar to it.

Cheers,

Simon.

Re: O/T Ripping Blu Ray Audio?
Date: October 12, 2023 12:51

You can download Audacity, and use that recording software to rip the sound in CD-quality.

Remember to select "Windows Wasapi" before ripping.

Good luck!

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: October 12, 2023 13:01

If you want to play something in CDDA quality (on regular but hi-fi CD player) just buy ordinary CD with 44.1kHz/16bit files on it and skip that moombo-jumbo with HD to CDDA convention. HD files can not be played or burned to regular CD.

Date: October 12, 2023 13:05

Hi DP & IB,

I appreciate your replies- thanks!

Just realised that there's a digital co-ax out from the blu ray player that my amp could accept...they just are on opposite sides of the room.

I would probably be looking to rip the Hi res audio to a pen drive/USB stick which my system can play. Allegedly, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 12, 2023 13:30

SimonN

is it possible to rip the audio from the Blu Ray to my MacBook, save it to a memory stick

Yes: for Apple Mac you'll first need a 3rd-party BluRay drive [BD-ROM/Writer via USB] and then you can rip the BR with the [MakeMKV.com] beta. Then you have to extract the appropriate audio track from the ripped m2ts file. It can easily be done with the 'eac3to' tool, which requires Windows. But unfortunately it doesn't split the audio by chapters. You have to do this manually - also the addition of all meta data like artist, track names, cover, etc.

If your BluRay-Player (the one from the HiFi-System) has an optical SPDIF output then you could try to connect it via optical cable with the Mac's "combined optical digital input/analog line-in", which requires a mini-TOSLINK adapter (looking like a 3.5mm headphones plug made from plastic). Then you could use Audacity to record the audio like from a radio station, a microphone or tape machine. When the BluRay Audio is e.g. 96kHz/24bit then set the recording setting on the Mac to 96kHz/24bit as well.

Alternatively you could buy the HiRes files at e.g. [www.Qobuz.com] , [www.HDtracks.com] , [www.HighResAudio.com] or [www.ProStudioMasters.com] .

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-12 19:30 by Irix.

Date: October 12, 2023 16:07

Hi Irix,

Thank a lot for taking the time and trouble to explain the process- much appreciated! F**king LPs were (and still) a load easier to enjoy, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: October 12, 2023 16:22

The only problem with LPs is that you have to get off your arse to turn the buggers over.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 12, 2023 16:25

i dont have blue ray, but maybe exact audio copy can do the trick?
works great on normal audio cd's
[www.exactaudiocopy.de]

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: October 12, 2023 16:40

MononoM

i dont have blue ray, but maybe exact audio copy can do the trick?

No, EAC is for Audio-CDs only, not for BluRay discs.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 12, 2023 17:21

Spud
The only problem with LPs is that you have to get off your arse to turn the buggers over.

Not necessarily! Get one of those record players that has the raised notched bar in the center, so that you can stack multiple LPs -- and then buy 2 of the same LP (or 4x in the case of Quadrophenia) and then you don't have to manually change between sides!

Date: October 12, 2023 19:04

LeonidP
Spud

Not necessarily! Get one of those record players that has the raised notched bar in the center, so that you can stack multiple LPs -- and then buy 2 of the same LP (or 4x in the case of Quadrophenia) and then you don't have to manually change between sides!

Hi Spud & LeoniDp,

And that is why IORR is still class, hah-hah! It goes from me banging-on about Hi-Res ripping to the very kind of record player that I first heard 'Big Hits (High Tide...) on!

Cheers,

Simon.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: October 12, 2023 21:53

LeonidP
Spud

I have a bluray of Quadrophenia! it's excellent

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 13, 2023 00:33

LeonidP
Spud

or get one of thesewinking smiley

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 15, 2023 10:05

I've spent my weekends converting stacked Blu-ray Audio discs into WAV files.
As I don't have a surround sound system, I only converted PCM 2-channel on the disk to WAV.
I skipped Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD and Atmos.
It was a pleasant surprise for me to find something unique sound.

Especially, I noticed the brilliance of "Don't Stop"!
Keith's intricate weaving guitar sound is very impressive.
I believe it's one of their best song in the last 40 years.

I am really looking forward to receiving a Hackney Blu-ray Audio in Tokyo, Japan this Thursday.

Posted by: mm2053 ()
Date: October 16, 2023 00:41

You could try the DVD Audio Extractor (https://www.dvdae.com/), which works for Blu-rays too.

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: October 16, 2023 07:37

I don't know anything about Mac, only Windows. I always use eac3to v3.36 (HdBrStreamExtractor GUI). And ArcSoft Decoder plugin for DTS Master Audio. CDWave Editor for the cuesheet. I have that Quadrophenia and yes, I did a blu-ray audio demux of the LPMC 2.0 24/96 and 5.1 24/96 tracks. Also the DSOTM 50th Anniversary Edition Box. My email is not hidden, just saying...

Posted by: gonzalo76 ()
Date: October 16, 2023 07:52

Toru A

It was a pleasant surprise for me to find something unique sound.

Especially, I noticed the brilliance of "Don't Stop"!
Keith's intricate weaving guitar sound is very impressive.
I believe it's one of their best song in the last 40 years.

Sorry but nothing pleasant can come specially from that track with a DR5.
I did a blu-ray audio demux of the LPCM and DTS-HD Master Audio.

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR5 -1.15 dB -7.95 dB 3:30 15-Don't Stop

Digital music is over.
Analogue music will always be better.

Date: October 16, 2023 10:15

gonzalo76

Digital music is over. Analogue music will always be better.

In such general terms, that's not true.

Listen to SACD. An example with very good mastering is e.g. Steely Dan 'Everything Must Go' on the 2022 SACD by Analogue Productions.

The 2016 'Rolling Stones in Mono' box has mostly a Dynamic Range of DR10-12. It's also possible nowadays, e.g. 2022 Porcupine Tree 'Closure/Continuation' with DR10-13.

Posted by: Andrea82 ()
Date: October 16, 2023 17:40

mm2053
You could try the DVD Audio Extractor (https://www.dvdae.com/), which works for Blu-rays too.

Yes, this is the right way.

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: October 21, 2023 05:38

SimonN
Hi DP & IB,

I appreciate your replies- thanks!

Just realised that there's a digital co-ax out from the blu ray player that my amp could accept...they just are on opposite sides of the room.

I would probably be looking to rip the Hi res audio to a pen drive/USB stick which my system can play. Allegedly, hah-hah!

Cheers,

Simon.

What are you using to play your files from the USB on? I am looking for a way to play USB audio files hooked up to my aux input on my vintage stereo. I need some kind of player, so far haven't found anything good that plays flac and or mp3. There's always something wrong with it...like unable to see the file/folder names or other problems such as I had with my old dvd player. But instead of data discs I want to play my files from a usb. I don't want to use a computer either. I wish someone would invent some kind of media player that does what I'd like it to do.

Posted by: sotob ()
Date: October 21, 2023 16:30

My stereo receiver has usb port on it and it works. Maybe something like this would help you?

[www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1781
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home