Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

POST: Mick TAYLOR with LONG JOHN BALDRY - The Uncirculating Maidenlane Tapes Vol 05: 05 April 1988 NYC (Lone Star Cafe)
Posted by: StonyRoad ()
Date: May 13, 2023 10:27

The Maidenlane TAPES:
a Mick Taylor tribute
Long-time Mick Taylor fan Maidenlane taped a number of Mick’s gigs on the East Coast (mainly in New York City) between November 1986 - May 1993 to preserve his own memories. Around the same time Mick Taylor lived in NYC and thus did a lot of concerts there, with his own bands or as a guest artist with other great musicians. Most if not all of Maidenlane’s recordings were never previously circulated among collectors, including a significant number of shows that have never circulated from any source. This will fortunately change now.
Maidenlane said he chose specifically to send these recordings to us to present these gems in the best possible way. Maidenlane will also provide some on-the-scene information and anecdotes from the shows that we will add to these publications. He asked only that we request music lovers to check their closets for recordings, so they can be preserved for study and enjoyment by future generations.

With Maidenlane and nzb we decided to form a team to present these nuggets. At first we propose to publish the shows that had never circulated (later we will study the other recordings).

Of course, we are very grateful to Maidenlane and I also would like to thank nzb for his help (his advice, judgements and expertise have been invaluable to me).

……………………………………….
The UNCIRCULATING Maidenlane Tapes
Volume 05

Mick Taylor with Long John Baldry
5th April 1988
NEW YORK CITY
Lone Star Café

This show was historic with Mick Taylor joining the Long John Baldry Band. Baldry’s female vocalist Kathi McDonald famously sang the backing vocals on All Down The Line from the Stones’ Exile on Main Street. Baldry was a father of British Blues and was closely associated with Alexis Korner, Cyril Davies and Art Wood (Ronnie Wood’s brother). Long John speaks of his history with MT between Goin’ Down Slow and Backwater Blues. Kathi McDonald’s presentation of Mick Taylor’s playing on Love in Vain is an important addition to Stones lore.

Maidenlane’s recollections of the show: It was a crowded small stage at the Lone Star Café, and there was a constant movement of musicians to and from the stage. I did not keep track, but just about everyone was offstage during one tune or another. When he left the stage at one point, Mick Taylor bounded up the stairs directly stage right and sat down at the first empty chair he found – at my table. He was awaiting an uncertain cue to return to the stage and our table was perfectly positioned for that. He quickly spied my recorder spinning but showed no disapproval. Eventually he bounded back down to the stage in his sneakers and suit.

5th April 1988: LONG JOHN BALDRY. New York City, Lone Star Cafe
Line-up: MT (gtr)/Long John Baldry (gtr, voc)/Kathi McDonald (voc)/Papa John King (gtr)/ Butch Coulter (harm)/Ivan Neville (piano)/Bernard Purdie (dr)/Jeff Allison (bass)

CD1:
01 - tuning
02 - Angel From Montgomery
03 - Love In Vain
04 - How Blue Can You Get
05 - Don't Try To Lay No Boogie-Woogie On The King Of Rock & Roll
06 - It Ain't Easy
07 - I'm Ready
08 - Black Girl
09 - Let's Burn Down The Cornfield
10 - Crying

CD2:
01 - Let The Good Times Roll
02 - Stand By Me
03 - Baby Please Don't Go
04 - Goin' Down Slow
05 - Backwater Blues
06 - Mockingbird Song-Hand Jive-Iko Iko
07 - Good Morning Blues
08 - As Long As I Feel The Spirit

It’s a very good quality recording and a fantastic testimony of MT’s talent: a must have for all the Mick Taylor fans out there!
As usual I declicked the recording and I edited the songs.
The only problem here was some micro dropouts in some tracks. It concerned only the left channel so I duplicated the right channel to patch them (slight differences can still be heard but IMHO they’re way better as the previous dropouts).
Here they are:
on ‘Don’t Try…’ at 3’02, 3’28, 3’34 and 3’38,
on ‘Let’s Burn Down The Cornfield’ at 2’43 and 3seconds at 3’00,
on ‘Crying’ a 45 second patch at 0’34,
on ‘Going Down Slow’ a 15 second patch at 2’57 and a 8 second patch at 3’30,
on ‘Mockingbird…’ a 2 second patch at 0’15, a 33 second patch at 1’03 and a 20 second patch at 4’02.
Sometimes there’s little gaps between the tracks but they’re not really annoying and no music is lost for exception on the start of ‘Good Morning Blues’.
I deleted a noise at the end of ‘Love In Vain’ (6’14). Another at 1’54 in ‘Good Morning Blues’ and also at the end of this song several noises were deleted. But the listening pleasure in this segment still isn't that great.

As usual I used a lot the infos taken from The Mick Taylor Complete Works Database by Nico Zentgraf: [www.nzentgraf.de]

Posted in 2023 by StonyRoad on IORR: [iorr.org]

link valid until 20/05/23
[we.tl]
next volume on Monday

Norbert
email: stonyroad58@gmail.com

Re: POST: Mick TAYLOR with LONG JOHN BALDRY - The Uncirculating Maidenlane Tapes Vol 05: 05 April 1988 NYC (Lone Star Cafe)
Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: May 13, 2023 10:44

This is really special - thanks a lot!

N

Re: POST: Mick TAYLOR with LONG JOHN BALDRY - The Uncirculating Maidenlane Tapes Vol 05: 05 April 1988 NYC (Lone Star Cafe)
Posted by: maidenlane ()
Date: May 13, 2023 10:51

I hope everyone enjoys hearing the version of Love in Vain with Kathi McD on vocals. Awesome work on this one, Norbert!

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: May 13, 2023 11:06

Thanks a lot to all involved!
Will give it a listen in a minute...

Posted by: stonesmuziekfan ()
Date: May 13, 2023 12:25

THX

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: May 13, 2023 13:18

Amazing stuff! Thanks so much!!

Posted by: nbutton ()
Date: May 13, 2023 15:32

Thank You

Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: May 13, 2023 16:45

Thanks

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 13, 2023 17:23

Thanks a lot Norbert and all involved!
Great story and share maidenlane!
smileys with beer

Posted by: Amarant ()
Date: May 13, 2023 20:15

Thanks very much!!!

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: May 13, 2023 23:10

Well done, SR!
smileys with beer

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: May 14, 2023 03:15

hot smiley

Posted by: gaizoku ()
Date: May 14, 2023 04:57

Thank you.

Posted by: perkmo ()
Date: May 14, 2023 07:37

wow thanks!

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: May 21, 2023 16:30

Can someone re-upload Vol 5?

I have all the other volumes (1-4 and 6-9).
Due to some private matters I could not download this one in time..... :-)

Date: May 21, 2023 16:46

re-upload Vol 5

[wetransfer.com]

Posted by: mrfancyman ()
Date: May 21, 2023 17:17

dishevelmentblues
re-upload Vol 5

[wetransfer.com]

THANKSsmileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1948
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home