Buy/Sell/Trade :  Talk
This is the place where Stones fans can advertise anything for sale, wanted, trade or whatever, from fan to fan. Advertisements are for free.
To see the old ads go here

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Post: 20221225 BBC RS Extended Cut
Posted by: crjowls ()
Date: December 31, 2022 18:23

Norbert
crjowls
Irix
crjowls

BBC Radio 2's highest available bitrate file is 320kb/s using AAC-LC codec (lossy). That's in the UK. I don't know about outside the UK.

Outside the UK the tool yt-dlp shows only M4A in 3 bitrates: 48, 51 and 96 kbps. Audio sample rate is 48kHz.

I've tried get_iplayer outside of the UK with just the parameter --pid m001gc26 and it results in an (at end converted) M4A file of 126 MB which is the same as the 96kbps download with yt-dlp. When get_iplayer is started with the parameter --radio-quality=high then it says only: 'INFO: Available qualities: med,low'. The wiki of get_iplayer also says: 'NOTE: By default, get_iplayer downloads the highest audio bit rate available for radio programmes. 96k is nominally the highest bit rate available to non-UK users'.

I thought that was the case for outside the UK but wasn't sure.
I use yt-dlp for a lot of stuff. I think the reason I switched over to it from youtube-dl was because it can download faster.

An interesting discussion...
of course, the BBC online broadcast is lossy - I don't know anything about the exact bit rate, however...
To record the Stones programme in question I made use of a tool that I've used for years, simply because the system software of my PC is quite old and doesn't work with more sophisticated ones like yt-dlp.
The tool I use is Total Recorder Standard Edition
[www.totalrecorder.com]

So what I've uploaded could be called a lossless recording of a lossy broadcast...

Happy New Year
Norbert

I would also record as wav if recording off-air. Might of converted to flac for giving it out though!

Happy New Year
CRJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-31 18:24 by crjowls.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 31, 2022 18:40

crjowls

Might of converted to flac for giving it out though!

But converting a lossy source (M4A) to lossless (FLAC) doesn't improve the sound quality.

Posted by: crjowls ()
Date: January 2, 2023 00:36

Irix
crjowls

Might of converted to flac for giving it out though!

But converting a lossy source (M4A) to lossless (FLAC) doesn't improve the sound quality.

I'm converting a lossless file (wav) to a different lossless format (flac).

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 2, 2023 10:25

crjowls

I'm converting a lossless file (wav) to a different lossless format (flac).

That's right if the WAV file is from a true lossless source. But in case of the BBC-broadcast it was said above: "So what I've uploaded could be called a lossless recording of a lossy broadcast".

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2022
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home