Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Re: Post: 20221225 BBC RS Extended Cut
Posted by: crjowls ()
Date: December 31, 2022 18:23

Norbert
crjowls
Irix
crjowls

BBC Radio 2's highest available bitrate file is 320kb/s using AAC-LC codec (lossy). That's in the UK. I don't know about outside the UK.

Outside the UK the tool yt-dlp shows only M4A in 3 bitrates: 48, 51 and 96 kbps. Audio sample rate is 48kHz.

I've tried get_iplayer outside of the UK with just the parameter --pid m001gc26 and it results in an (at end converted) M4A file of 126 MB which is the same as the 96kbps download with yt-dlp. When get_iplayer is started with the parameter --radio-quality=high then it says only: 'INFO: Available qualities: med,low'. The wiki of get_iplayer also says: 'NOTE: By default, get_iplayer downloads the highest audio bit rate available for radio programmes. 96k is nominally the highest bit rate available to non-UK users'.

I thought that was the case for outside the UK but wasn't sure.
I use yt-dlp for a lot of stuff. I think the reason I switched over to it from youtube-dl was because it can download faster.

An interesting discussion...
of course, the BBC online broadcast is lossy - I don't know anything about the exact bit rate, however...
To record the Stones programme in question I made use of a tool that I've used for years, simply because the system software of my PC is quite old and doesn't work with more sophisticated ones like yt-dlp.
The tool I use is Total Recorder Standard Edition
[www.totalrecorder.com]

So what I've uploaded could be called a lossless recording of a lossy broadcast...

Happy New Year
Norbert

I would also record as wav if recording off-air. Might of converted to flac for giving it out though!

Happy New Year
CRJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-12-31 18:24 by crjowls.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 31, 2022 18:40

crjowls

Might of converted to flac for giving it out though!

But converting a lossy source (M4A) to lossless (FLAC) doesn't improve the sound quality.

Posted by: crjowls ()
Date: January 2, 2023 00:36

Irix
crjowls

Might of converted to flac for giving it out though!

But converting a lossy source (M4A) to lossless (FLAC) doesn't improve the sound quality.

I'm converting a lossless file (wav) to a different lossless format (flac).

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 2, 2023 10:25

crjowls

I'm converting a lossless file (wav) to a different lossless format (flac).

That's right if the WAV file is from a true lossless source. But in case of the BBC-broadcast it was said above: "So what I've uploaded could be called a lossless recording of a lossy broadcast".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1619
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home